Eternal Lands Official Forums
KillerQween

El Workshops

To help out the newcomers to the game, I am going to institute workshops. These are volunteer basis only, and I ask that you do them at least once a day. I have made a list of some basics I feel newcomers should learn. If you think of any feel free to let me know. Only reply to this message if you are signing up, and please state which workshop you would like to give.

Making Mana pots

Making Health pots

Making Fire Essences

Making Money (showing them flowers/veggies where to sell)

Fighting 101

Making fire/cooking raw meat

For the workshops I recommend taking them to the ingredients needed, as this also teaches them where the items are and how to get around better.

Any workshops not signed up for I will do myself. ;)

I could help out with writing up information, but how are you planning this?

to be played interactively on newbie channel, on IP, posted on the web or forums and links given?

or will this be more in-game, using the help system being added? (how to make a fire is one of the things in there, if you have a CVS(development version) client then you'll see it as the button with the question mark)

if this does have an interactive component, how much would be pre-written to save work? ideally, if you can have how-tos added to the new help system, and provide an interactive class now and then, you could make a bit impact with this

Edited by ttlanhil

My idea is simple...have those who want to do the workshop meet you at beam (or wraith) and they would follow you to the ingredients. You would literally be showing them where to go, what to get, and how to use. I don't have CVS, not sure what it is lol. But yes if they put that as part of the help system that would be great. Until they do, we can do these workshops to help teach newcomers.

Edited by queenjenny

well, the info is largely a newbie FAQ list.

Some of this needs updating, I'm sure, and well written how-tos could probably be added.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes posting stuff from the dev version to the public, if so, I apologise

I've copied what I have in mine here, so you can see what's there... i figured it's simpler to read than a screenshot.

Yes, the use of capitalisation is the same.

the question and answers are different colours, so a bit easier to read in game than here

(the inventory and level answers are the same in the list)

HOW DO I EAT?

Click the use icon at the bottom, then click the food item.

HOW DO I KNOW WHAT LEVEL I AM?

Click the bars icon on the bottom

HOW DO I SEE MY INVENTORY?

Click the bars icon on the bottom

HOW DO I WALK?

Use the walk icon, and click on the ground next to you

HOW DO I SIT?

Click the second icon from the left

HOW DO I READ A BOOK?

same as eating food

CAN YOU GIVE ME FREE STUFF?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! NEVER EVER EVER ASK THIS IN THE GAME!!

[i like this one :P ]

HOW DO I LOOK AT THE MAP?

press the tab key

[click page 2 for second page, as given next]

WHERE CAN I GET A SWORD OR AMOR?

FROM A BLACKSMITH OR FROM PLAYERS, BUT YOU WILL NEED GOLD COINS FIRST

IS {BLANK} PERK GOOD TO HAVE?

Read the wraith's description and decide for yourself.

CAN YOU HEAL ME?

Don't ask people that. They will heal you if they want to can.

HOW DO I GET MONEY?

Kill rabbits and sell the meat and furs to taverns

HOW DO I COOK RAW MEAT?

You need to Cook it on the campfire, it tkaes wood and fire essence to start a fire(for a long explaination click here.)

HOW DO I GET A FIRE GOING IN ISLA PRIME?

click here for a step-by-step walkthrough

[cooking page]

To cook meat:

1. Find a burning campfire (there is one on IP near the beam up point).

2. Open your inventory and right click with your mouse over the raw meat until the "use with" pointer comes up. (Looks like a fist).

3. Click and drag each piece of meat onto the burning fire. Placement is critical and somewhat touchy at times. If you've suceeded the words "You've cooked the meat!" will appear on your screen. If not then keep trying.

[making a fire page]

If the fire is not burning:

1. Harvest some logs. (Some can be found on the west end of one of the buildings to te south of the firepit.) You will need a total of no more than four.

2. go back to the firepit and load the logs into the firepit using the same "use with" procedure as described earlier. If successful you should see the words 'You put logs on the fire"

3. Ignote the fire using a fire essence just like you loaded the firepit with logs earlier. If you do not have fire essence you can make some or buy some form the magic shop(15 gc each) or buy from market channel #jc 3.

Edited by ttlanhil

I've editted this already, btw. :P ... The Help window and encyclopedia are in flux.

I've editted this already, btw. :P ... The Help window and encyclopedia are in flux.

160505[/snapback]

I looked in my EL directory, and didn't see any files for these, so I assume that it's coded into the client itself... could it be done using the same system as the encyclopedia?

also, how much do you want to cover with the help system, would community-contributed walk-throughs be likely to be added?

I could help but id have id have to wait till i get back to my old computer..

I could help with all subjects provided..even give the newbies some armour and stuff

also if i help them i myself could get exp so its a good thing!

QJ, this is an excellent idea. Perhaps this could be announced by a moderator before it starts.

If im on, i'd be willing to announce and help with moderation and guides :)

If not, feel free to ask another mod to announce it, as I see this as a contest/newbie help thing so it should be valid.

To help out the newcomers to the game, I am going to institute workshops.  These are volunteer basis only, and I ask that you do them at least once a day.  I have made a list of some basics I feel newcomers should learn. If you think of any feel free to let me know.  Only reply to this message if you are signing up, and please state which workshop you would like to give.

Making Mana pots

Making Health pots

Making Fire Essences

Making Money (showing them flowers/veggies where to sell)

Fighting 101

Making fire/cooking raw meat

For the workshops I recommend taking them to the ingredients needed, as this also teaches them where the items are and how to get around better.

Any workshops not signed up for I will do myself. :angry:

160472[/snapback]

queenjenny i would like to help with the noob workshops. i could do mana and or heal potions. also thought it would be a good idea to have some sort of worshop that taught now to use the icons at bottom and where to get info about the game such as the el guide and noob guide. i know the tutorial tell a lot of this but some don't bother to do it and some still don't understand it all even after.

possibly a tour of el maps and which are safe and which aren't would be helpful too. just a few thoughts. thank you for listening.

Guest skaar
lol make a workshop for shivar slaves

161837[/snapback]

omg, now he really needs help

lol make a workshop for shivar slaves

161837[/snapback]

That would be simple:

1.) Enter PK Map.

2.) See Shivar.

3.) RUN or DIE.

i was more thinking of

1.)Enter mine

2.)Harvest silver ore

3.)Harvest Crys flowers

4.)make HE for Shivar

and advanced noob can make me SR's

My guild is planning a help-a-noobie day on the 28th. We have noob armor and weapons to give away and we were gonna have classes kinda like you mentioned. Also help with noob quest. Maybe we could get a few guilds to rotate and be in charge of this every week

why does help a noobie day have to be on my birthday................everyone hates me :blink:

i can help in this noobie workshop but only for like a hour a day...

My guild is planning a help-a-noobie day on the 28th. We have noob armor and weapons to give away and we were gonna have classes kinda like you mentioned. Also help with noob quest.  Maybe we could get a few guilds to rotate and be in charge of this every week

:P Ahhhh we don't hate you we were doing it to honor you and your Bday :P