Eternal Lands Official Forums

I am not the only one who feels this way and wishes to have this changed. It is time for deathbags to be removed from the game. I believe there should be consequences for dying, but half of the communities complaints are about bagjumpers and how they lost their stuff when they died etc. Why cant you just make the items dissapear or maybe make the underworld more visicous to escape. I do know there is a story and reason for them, But I also know that it causes much dissension in the community. Please at leat consider what I am saying. The bag system now is ok, if someone wants to drop something let them, and animals should still be bag droppers, however the time for death bags is over.

To those of you who like to post in my topics for the simple sake of putting me down (you know who you are). Please don't.

Thanks

-Rasberrybeard

You are supposed to lose stuff when you die.

dying is a pretty serious event.

and making the underworld harder is much more of an impact on new players than older ones, that's not really fair

and you have no real rights to the bag, bagjumping is against player rules, not game rules, so you can't have a code based solution.

<ed> also, this is how some people make their money, I don't mean the bag jumping(though that too), but the spoils of a PK fight (or summoning for PK... summoning fluffies and chims used to be pretty common until the rostogol stone, as I hear it)

these points are all based on your suggestion, nothing personal

Edited by ttlanhil

dont die thats all. You think i dont wear dis rings @ training and potions. Dont remove the bags becourse there will be no more phun. i go train @ the cyclops and if i die 1000 times who cares. now whene i die i lose stuff

Speaking for storylines, the only story we have about death bags is currently under edit and review, so it may be able to be rewritten to fit whatever decision is made.

Programming-wise, how difficult would it be to implement this change?

Now, as for the exact issue. What are the implications for:

- Newbies? (side issue: wandering gargs in WS)

- PKers? (side issue: Rostogal stone and diss ring prices)

- Idiots who don't read the BIG RED WARNING about PK maps?

-Lyn-

Guest skaar

the deathbags r not the problem, the problem is the chance to create xxx avatars, which can choose mm perk with the 5pp and went to dangerous places. they steal there the bags, trade it to the main char or a man in the middle (maybe guild member) and type #killme yes (like elf_scammer), no chance to punish that guys.

maybe u lock to create multiple accounts or playing them at the same time, but i would prefer a time delay in which only the person who lost the stuff can see the deathbag (1 or 2 mins).

and i know, best way not to lose his stuff is not to die or get guarded by a member or taking only stuff u can loose,.... , but shit happens (in that case a deathbag)

my 2 cents

Edited by heretic3kand1

I agree, characters made for bagjumping and other things that are 'legal but outlawed' are a problem. they are creating extra characters for this, and that's the part that's wrong.

I don't see a solution, though, as long as you have a free version (the removal of which, I won't accept as an appropriate solution 8^)

the rest of it is trying to solve legal-but-outlawed behaviour in code, though.

Have two different underworlds (possibly using the same map?). One is for lower level players and it is empy as we currently have it. The other has monsters & demons and you can't tport out, you earn no exp while you are there, but if they 'kill' you, you could lose more items. Plus, having to fight them or sneak past would make people that died take longer to respawn.

The hardest part is coding the server to not let you get exp there.

Have two different underworlds (possibly using the same map?). One is for lower level players and it is empy as we currently have it. The other has monsters & demons and you can't tport out, you earn no exp while you are there, but if they 'kill' you, you could lose more items. Plus, having to fight them or sneak past would make people that died take longer to respawn.

The hardest part is coding the server to not let you get exp there.

160495[/snapback]

Eek! all the high level manufacturers and alchemists having to fight tough monsters!

or would you base the choice between the underworlds based only on combat stats?

Eek! all the high level manufacturers and alchemists having to fight tough monsters!

or would you base the choice between the underworlds based only on combat stats?

160496[/snapback]

I did say fight or sneak past :P

As to which map you go to when you die decision, that would have to be discussed, but OA 30 or OA 40 sounds good.

And remember, I'm not a fighter either.

I did say fight or sneak past :P

As to which map you go to when you die decision, that would have to be discussed, but OA 30 or OA 40 sounds good.

And remember, I'm not a fighter either.

160498[/snapback]

You'd have to nullify monster magentism as well fo this to work...

and I generally don't like OA used as an indicator of much, a reset makes it artificially low, and it's not relevant to how good you are in most skills (yes, p/c are important to fighting as well, I know, but a/d are independant of OA)

I know OA was a bad example to use, but the intent was to show that I didn't think it would be based on combat stats. Another options is if any level other then OA is over 20, you go to the bad one when you die.

Of course people will complain about anything they lose there.

actually... on the issue of making the underworld harder (which is kinda side-topic to the start)... I have a better idea

the underworld, like most places, is made easy by using a map and experience... now, it'd be a huge coding job and all, but having a number of underworld maps (or even dynamically generated ones, ouch) makes it take a lot more work to fight your way back to the land of the living... maybe make a few things you have to do before you can leave as well, ring a bell, light a candle, fetch a stone for a ghost, whatever, just to make more work, and the underworld more of a punishment

Edited by ttlanhil

A while ago I suggested that in case of death players should drop stacks with 40% probability each. Then each stack in the inventory should be removed from the game with 10% probability.

This one won't go against bag jumpers, it'll probably help more than hinder them. What it will do is discourage fighting a huge monster in several tries, like high level bombing.

Also is it possible to have items dropped in a death bag scatter a little around the ground?

Is it possible to have the dropped items fall into random slots on the bag content window? Currently you can see when a bag is most likely fresh, slots 1..n are filled, and you can see when it has been raided, slots have gaps between filled ones.

These things would probably do more harm than good to your cause, more moaners, but after a while maybe people would attribute losing the best stuff from death to bad luck.

There HAS to be a penalty for dying. It's your fault after all. I can't think of any MMORPG that would let you keep your stuff when you die without any consequences. EL is quite liberal, on dying you lose about 50% of your stuff, in RS or Ultima you lose everything you are wearing.

in other games you lose your equipment, can also lose part of your experience... as it is, the possibility of losing equipment is pretty light, really, only partly made up for by the fact that you have to go through the underworld, not just respawn at nearest town

i hate death bags...and yes i have lost alot of crap because of my darn addiction for pk maps...but i would hate for the deth bags to be removed!..When you die you have a 50% chance to lose somthing or all things..well anyway i think its kinda a proper punishment..(atleats you get to live at all) Its a small fee for sying..eh??

Alternatively, you could try this idea:

Create an NPC, similar in function to a storage NPC, from an organisation called the Death Reapers (or whatever). When players die, ALL of their items and equipment are removed and go to the Death Reapers' HQ (i.e. into their Reapers storage account). If they want to get their items back, they have to either pay a fee, or go on a random quest for the Reapers. Quests can be adjusted for difficulty level, based on skill. It is then up to the players to decide whether they think recovering their items is worth the price demanded by the Reapers. If they DO decide to pay the Reapers, they get a 1-time access to withdraw whatever they have from the Reapers storage. If they can't carry everything, too bad. Any further access would require a second fee/quest.

Oh, and you could probably do a periodic wipe of the Reapers' storage, just to reduce the amount of info the server has to store.

Of course, the only trouble I see with this is that it reduces the gains from PKing to exp only. Rostogol stones ward off Reapers.

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

I like that idea, it sounds like somthing that would go good with the game!..

Ragards, Projoe

I like lyanna's idea

or

how about making the chance for equip to break - a LITTLE higher, remove death bags - but you lose some random xp when you die ?

Edited by crannog

I like the idea that stuff can break when dropped. that will make people more cautious about dying, less deaths = less whinging when deathbag s missing

There HAS to be a penalty for dying. It's your fault after all. I can't think of any MMORPG that would let you keep your stuff when you die without any consequences. EL is quite liberal, on dying you lose about 50% of your stuff, in RS or Ultima you lose everything you are wearing.

Agreed! Ive seen a few of these: 'I'm gonna put player x on our guild pk list, the &**££$!' in the forums. Why? I understand that it is a virtual community, and therefore there will be virtual outlaws, but some of the venom I've seen is a bit worrying. It's a game after all!

To expect your deathbag to be yours when you come back from death removes any element of risk or danger. To get rid of death bags completely removes some 'sport' and material reward for the pk'ers, and a chance to roleplay a 'theif'.

We just need to accept the fact that when we die, we will, and SHOULD, lose stuff. Be grateful to be resurrected with all xp, skills, etc, and half your stuff.

To have a game without any risk, can soon become boring.

how can people actully be cautious about dying? i mean if they are always in fear then what fun is it to go up against a nice strong monster that gives them a rush that they look for? anyway what about the even match monsters that take them down about most of their life but they kill the monster..that will no longer happen unless you not worried about this anywayid stick with the reaper idea!

beakable items have a chance to break. the rest can be reclaimed at the exit of hell. gold can be reclaimed directly, the rest at a fee (maybe 1% of shop value).

this could lead to a gold burn as well if people cant stop dieing :D