Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

A Third Hand Account Of Life Essence

There's some references to summoning and life essences that i found searching the forums, but there's nothing i could find between selain summoning monsters, and the people of EL's world summoning, I found two competing 'earliest' references, one was a story that seems to be of a person who brought it to the masses, but did not originate the skills, so i can skip that, the other is

On The Properties Of Ethereal Matter Units, An Alchemagical Report

This one doesn't cover what I'll write about, though it's somewhat closely tied.

I've already written about enchantment of jewellery, and this is in a somewhat similar setting, if people want me to write up some stories about the creation of other essences, research in spells and potions, or even a bit about manufacturing, let me know, and i can work up something similar there too

The 'author' of this text is supposed to be pompous and sure that everyone knows who he is, though at this stage, no-one should.

The fact that he's 'published' many times doesn't imply that anything else by him will ever be written (though it's certainly not going to exclude that option).

This, one of his last works, should have gotten him censured, people stopped carrying his books, and only this one, because of the importance and rarity of the information, would have been preserved, in some sort of unofficial method, stored in cellars by the few who have enough interest in the topic, until one of two options.

If you're not aware, summoning is a necromantic art, something that was suppressed by most mages, clergy, and common folk... only a few followers of Mortos or Selain would dare to practice the arts, or keep anything related.

This book could be in a cave somewhere, or a cellar, etc, and read there, it's still unpopular, even though summoning is now common.

alternatively, it could be once again publically available, since summoning is common, and knowing the roots of the skill can do little or no harm.

I know the title of the book isn't great, i may edit it later if i come up with a better idea.

I've used a [placeholder] for the name of the writing college/university... if one is written about, the same one could be used. if not, then an appropriate name can be inserted.

Ideally, there'd be some sort of split between days in the reproduction of the journal, what sort of split is used depends on how the books are produced. I've used an elipsis where the snipped part of the entry is, and a few tildes for the split between days.

I have no idea if dates in the journal entries would make it better or not, for this case, i've left them out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[start of the cover/title page]

On the creation of Life Essence, and bringing life back to the dead.

By Jourman Trale

[next page, introduction]

Foreword by the Author:

In case this book finds its way into regions where I am unknown, I shall introduce myself.

I am Jourman Trale, publisher and author, known for many works of research.

My books have educated many people, across the lands, on issues of import.

This book, however, shall not be as my other works. I will explain the issue.

During my studies at [placeholder:university], when i was learning the arts of publishing and reporting, some of the first things we were taught were to be able to record information at any time, and to keep good records. My records were in the form of journals.

On one occasion, I happened to talk to a research student from another field. He seemed interesting, and held the chances of a story.

On the following pages, I've reproduced excerpts from my journals, including all relevant information.

I have tried rewriting all of the information within into a more precise and standard format, but somehow, the right words to use fail me. Me, of all people!

Perhaps the journal entries, as they were originally written, will inspire more writers to follow in my footsteps, and give them a solid grounding for this profession.

[end of page, on to reproduced journal material]

As a last note of the day, I met a kind of old fellow who is doing some research here; the best I got out of him is that he's planning on writing about a topic he knows quite well.

He's quite guarded about the issue, though, so I'll see if i can talk with him more. It sounds interesting.

~~~

I met the old chap again, turns out his name is Monton Grebilz, but he got defensive when I pushed about what he's reading up on or writing about. I'll have to back off.

~~~

I met Monton again today, helped him in the library and discussed a few points, nothing that gave any clue to what he's writing though, just issues on published works.

~~~

It's also been a few days since i saw Monty, being as curious as I am might get me in trouble one day... then again, a certain amount of curiosity is vital, as stodgy old Flatis tells us.

~~~

Monty was back this morning, we had a bit of a chat, he was away for the week, but naturally, he won't say where.

~~~

There was some trouble in one of the dormitories last night, I don't know what happened, they're keeping it hushed up... they should know better considering the students here though!

Since Monty was one of the ones who had to stay out of the dorm building for a couple of days, I offered the spare bed in my room. I won't snoop, of course, but this could be a great chance to find out more!

~~~

I'm getting worried about Monty and his work, there's something dark and suspicious going on here... going to have to be a bit more direct with him tomorrow.

~~~

That Monton sure is full of suprises! All this secrecy, all because a friend of his knew someone who worked in the study of essences... yes, it's important stuff, and it sounds like this was the early research, but Monty's worries about privacy just don't seem to match.

[There is a stain on the page, the following paragraphs are unreadable, and a page appears to have been torn out]

~~~

As Monton asked, I'm keeping my journal hidden, though it didn't take much to convince me... I would like to be able to lock it away somewhere nobody could find it, but all of my other journal work is in here too.

I've started a new journal, now, I shall only get this one out to write on this topic.

I am also copying everything not relating to Monton and his studies into another journal, there will be no record herein, and no-body will be able to suggest my records need to be destroyed.

~~~

I'm very lucky that I decided to make a new copy of all my journal entries, I was taken before members of the faculty, as well as clergy, a representative of the mages, and several investigators. If not for what has happened to Morton, I may have given them all I knew and promised to tell no-one, but I doubt that would have saved me... as it is, I presented my journal (which had a few references to Morton in it, but nothing that suggests I knew anything), and after hours of questioning, they let me go.

When I got back to my room, it was rather plain that someone had searched here as well.

I haven't been to write an entry for several weeks, because I feared I may lead someone to where I stored my secret journal.

I'm strongly tempted to destroy this book, I've even tried a few times, but I couldn't go through with it.

I suspect that it will haunt me for years to come.

[end of journal, new page]

Now, dear reader, you know the secret I have carried with me all these years, and you no doubt understand why I have been so hesitant to publish these accounts.

The fears and terror that existed back then seems muffled now, else I still would not dare.

I was also correct that my journal, safely stored away that it was, would haunt me, it has to this day, many years later.

After all this time, I do not know if Monton Grebilz was taken away, or if he cleaned after himself and left of his own accord. Nor have I been able to find any record of him.

I hope that the fears of the mages and religious fanatics won't stop this book being published, I don't believe that there is anything contained within of a technical matter, so this book can't be used to learn how to summon, it is merely a historical tome.

Let this book become an accepted and important reference, as the necromantic arts are here to stay, information is vitally important.

[end of book]

[there is a second copy, in far worse condition than the first, sitting underneath. The page that is missing from the previous copy seems to be mostly intact, however, apart from a stain near the bottom.

There is also a copy of notes from another person added into the back, and the margins have been written in, the language is not common, but it actually does contain information about summoning.]

I was joking with Monty today about how essences don't seem that dangerous, and he told me that they weren't just any essences, they were Life Essences. He seemed to think that made a large difference, but I guess I haven't read enough about magic to get it yet.

~~~

I can barely write with a steady hand!

I read a bit about the essences, particularly Life Essence, and I found out that it's used in bringing the dead back to life! Necromancy!

I asked Monton, and he confirmed it, he was going to write about the dark magics!

Monton asked me to hide or destroy my journal, pointing out that my records could get both of us in trouble... I refused to destroy this book, after all, it would be highly suspicious, but I'll think about hiding my journal.

~~~

I went to visit Monton this morning, but his room was empty... not just tidied up for an extended absence, but it was as if no-one had been living in the room... I'm somewhat worried, but as cautious as Morton was, I doubt anyone found out... or if they did, it wasn't enough to cause trouble, and he cleaned up and left before anything could be found out.

[end of page]

[section at end of book, this book appears to be a copy that Jourman has added to, post production, with notes to himself or another person for changes or updates]

This book will be made into a second edition, using the following information. Some of this will be fleshed out more, but the basic information should hold

I have decided to add some of the details that Monton Grebilz gave me in regards to his previous experiences.

Monton was a junior research assistant, though he would not tell me the names of any other researchers, or where the research took place.

The research laboratory had recently discovered a way to make Essences of Health.

Such a discovery was, of course, cause for much excitement, being a large step towards simplifying the magics of healing.

The current methods produced a very impure form of Health Essence, however, and it was useful in demonstrating a point, not yet for practical use. Hence, there is an obvious push to continue research.

[there is a tear in the page, removing the description of how these prototypical Health Essences were made]

In order to find possible improvements, research into using different flowers was begun.

When oils of sunflowers were introduced to silver ore, a discovery was made. This essence had a healing effect on the test animals, however the effects were limited to those that were most injured, or dead.

After some experimentation, it was discovered that this new essence was not, in fact, healing the subject, it was instead introducing artificial life into the body!

This discovery was deemed to be interesting by the research team, but the original goal of refining and producing Essences of Healing was resumed.

Using certain purification methods in the silver ore used for test purposes, and grinding a chrysanthemum between the two chunks of ore, a more powerful and reliable form of Health Essence was obtained.

Note from Jourman: the purification methods have changed slightly since that time, the rest is unchanged.

Once the research team was satisfied with the Health Essence, their results were published, to wide acclaim.

Eventually, several members of the research team (including young Jourman) returned to study, and picked up the research into the Essence that reanimated dead animals.

As people heard about the new research project, objections grew, however the results of the Health Essences meant that the team was given some allowance.

Bringing reptiles and small mammals back from near-death was objectionable to many, but the project was not stopped.

Working late one night, Jourman and the senior remaining researcher were testing new formulae and processing methods, when a discovery was made, a new type of far stronger essences.

Unfortunately for the senior researcher, who had a heart condition, as he grabbed the finished result, his heart was affected. He clutched his hands to his chest, still holding the new essence, and collapsed to the floor.

Moments later, he awoke, and responded dully to questions, but had no motivation to act on his own. He responded to any command or question, but showed no sign or personal will. Jourman was terrified, being still young and remembering campfire stories of the undead; he fled from the research laboratory.

Within hours, the entire research facility was quarantined, no information was to be released (what would happen if the general public heard of undead?).

No member of the research team was allowed within the public again, their knowledge deemed to be too dangerous. Very little of their research material found its way outside, but enough was shared that the knowledge was never quite contained.

As research assistants, especially junior ones, were not listed by name or generally invited to public events, Jourman was not tracked down; though he swore that he would not again help any person in any similar studies.

[new page]

I have realised that I have not answered how the Life Essence interfered with the curse Mortos placed upon the lands of Draia. After consulting some of the clergy (who were not overly enthusiastic about talking on the subject) I beleive I have the answer.

After death, the bond that ties the spirit to the body is weakened. Before the curse of Mortos, this link would continue to break, until there was no hope of reviving the person, and the spirit could enter the afterlife. During the time while the bond still held but was weakening, the magics of the clergy could bring the spirit back to the body, however the more time that had passed after death, the more effort was required.

Those who were healed before the soul left our land behind often reported a feeling of flying towards an area of joy, with bright lights, or traveling through tunnels of light.

The curse of Mortos changed this, however, and the bond that held the spirit in our world became more elastic. It would stretch a certain amount as the spirit started to leave the body, then pull it back to the physical land, preventing any permenance in death.

As an interesting note, it is not the same body that the soul returns to, which is why those who are killed do not merely stand up, but much of the body fades away as a new body forms, sometimes in the same area, sometimes far away.

The sentient races of Draia seem to be a special case, in that before a person is an adult, they will return in the most powerful and magic location in the known world, on the island of Isla Prima, while those who reach adulthood will enter the underworld.

All other animals, and the lower-order sentient beings, are bound to a specific area, which they may walk from, but will return to upon death.

The sentient races are also a special case in what they leave behind; not only does all of their body dissolve, some of their physical posessions travel with them to where they are 'reborn'.

Anything that does not travel with them is dropped to the ground at the point where they died.

However, the remains of the other living beings of Draia do leave parts behind, and it was found that there is another effect of the curse of Mortos; there is still some life retained in the parts left behind.

With the use of magic, enough body parts, and a replacement soul (a Life Essence is basically an artificial soul, which is part of why it is so controversial), the body can be recreated, and the animal (all tests this have been on animals; it is theorised the same will work on the undead, artificial beings, and lower-order sentients as well) given some semblance of life.

This animal will follow the person who brought it back to life, and attack any possible threats.

The artificial nature of the replacement soul has some impact, however, the life retained in the body parts is drained and those parts are destroyed, the animal brought to life will quickly die.

There are some suggestions that summoned animals may be healed through magical means, however this will only be a temporary solution, the animal will continue to die.

As another effect of the artificial origins of the spirit, this death is permenant. There is no tie between the artificial soul and the body or land, when the animal dies, the artificial spirit and the body simply dissolve away to nothing.

The 'death cycle' of the animal that the body parts came from is not interrupted through the use of an artificial soul in the remains of the body, it will re-appear as it otherwise would.

The same thing does not happen with a sentient being, however, upon whom the curse has, already noted, differing effects.

The body of a sentient being dissolves far faster, usually dissapearing within seconds of death. During this short period while the soul is not tightly bound, introducing the prototypical Life Essence appeared to inhabit the body, while the true soul was trapped in limbo, bound to the body, and unable to travel to the underworld.

The artificial soul in a sentient beings' body produced the basic subservience and compliance seen in summoned animals, without any protecting instincts or self-motiviation. As with animals brought from dead bodies, the body of a sentient being will begin to fail and die, however when the death of the reanimated body occurs, the soul then is free to travel to the underworld, and regain life.

One of the people I spoke to about this issue (who asked to remain anonymous) suggested that because a new body formed when the spirit re-enters the world, the frailties of the old body (as caused by old age) are removed; indeed, those who are reborn in the underworld appear to be younger than when they died.

Another suggestion is that the magical healing from spells and potions may have a minor rejuvinating effect.

Further research may be required to find if one of these suggestions is the reason why the inhabitants of Draia are not aged, even those who should be hundreds of thousands of years old do not suffer the effects of such an age.

[end of book]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Final notes:

The two books should function as one, as much as possible... the second book could be inserted into the back of the first one, if need be, so it works with the book system (if this does get published)

The spacing and size, or the content, may have to be adjusted for the torn page.

and these notes are at the end so as not to spoil that the torn information is later forthcoming 8^)

And yes, I know this is kinda long :P the 2nd edition stuff can be removed, though, and a fair bit of this is notes and such that don't really count (please?) towards the length of the story

With the additions I've made, I'm writing more and more into serious underpinnings of the theory of EL... I'm not too sure about doing this, as it may already be answered elsewhere, but the story raised the questions.

Making the OA 7 respawn at entry/underworld thing an 'age' issue may be a problem with some. That can be changed if desired.

a very minor point... I don't know if it should be the 'Curse of Mortos' as a topic, known by all, or the 'curse of Mortos', focusing more on Mortos himself...

How rostogol stones affect the dropping of items upon death could also be another story or two 8^) this can't really be done until the whole 'what happens when you die' issue is resolved though.

Edited by ttlanhil

I've added the part about creation of life essences

Edited by ttlanhil

do you want this counted as an entry into the contest?

Also i believe there might be a problem with the summoning part. Nothing that big, perhaps something that has to be cleared up a bit. Give me some time to look into it.

do you want this counted as an entry into the contest?

Yes please :)

Also i believe there might be a problem with the summoning part. Nothing that big, perhaps something that has to be cleared up a bit.  Give me some time to look into it.

160429[/snapback]

Sure, it can be chopped and changed if need be

To deal with the summoning issues Quinticus brought up, I've added more to the story (yeah, I know, it was too long to start with)

On the down side, these are fundamental issues I'm messing with, any work on these by devs or writers already done will probably render my additions void

I've added how beings can be summoned despite the curse of mortos,

the traveling of the soul to the underworld,

what an LE actually is,

what happens when a monster respawns (well, i touched on it)

and other issues... if some of them are already covered, please let me know so i can strip parts out or make alterations

This thing is waaay too long, and not as well written as it could be.

The topic of essences has also been covered here, so it would need a lot of editing to be brought up to date.

I could either

1. strip out the parts on discovery of the essences,
  2. modify it to the research by one of the non-magical races, as they don't have essences yet, or
  3. perhaps make it the refinement of essences or the skllls in making them, with the option of enriched essences here

It's not high on my priority list though, unless there's much interest, and I know it won't conflict with other information

Edited by ttlanhil