Eternal Lands Official Forums
Mr.Mind

Playing A Sound For Pm

Should there be an option to have a sound play when someone sends a PM?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an option to have a sound play when someone sends a PM?

• Yes
    • No

Many of us are often AFK, yet still sitting at the computer. For those people I am suggestion that an option be added to the game for PMs, where if someone sends you a PM, your computer will play a sound to notify you. Of course, having this sound as an option, because not everyone needs it.

Need some opinions please.

Edited by Mr.Mind

I say yes, have as much as possible able to trigger a sound. it's then up to the user to specify (seperate config file? just removing files?) which ones to play.

adding the hook into the code shouldn't be too hard, either, though all the different options may make a bit of work

another idea similar to this is a clock chime, so you know when the new harvest hour starts :lol:

As long as it is an option, yes good idea. But not a long sound. Only a small, very short one.

159441[/snapback]

well, sure, as a default, just a 'Ding!' for message... though users could replace the file with something longer if they so wish

I put that feature in the TC client and have had nothing but requests to disable it. Luckily (for me) I already had disable code built in for it, namely #beepongm=0 and #beeponpm=0 in el.ini.

If the programmers want the source, I will up it to berlios, but from my experience the novelty value becomes an annoyance after the first few PMs.

Edited by ArmageddonQ

As usual, the problem is not with the suggestion, or with the implementation. The problem is: we simply don't HAVE the sound. Anyone willing to create the Sound FX? :D :D (See Sound/Music Forums for more details)

-Lyn-

As usual, the problem is not with the suggestion, or with the implementation. The problem is: we simply don't HAVE the sound. Anyone willing to create the Sound FX? ;):D (See Sound/Music Forums for more details)

159501[/snapback]

We do have some sound, actually. However, all I could notice was that sound played while changing locations. Now I'm playing with sound switched off.

Sorry, just to clarify: Yes, we do have certain sound effects - thunder, teleportals, and changing locations. The trouble is that we don't have sound FX for anything beyond that. So there are no specific sounds for PM. But if you guys would like some more sounds in the game, volunteer to help! :P (See this thread for more details: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5788)

-Lyn-

I assumed that as long as it was an option, no one would have a problem with this idea.

A sinlge tone or series of quick tones would probably suffice, and perhaps it could only be played every 13 seconds or so (for times when you're getting a lot of PMs and are aware of it).

Edited by Mr.Mind

Rolandreeve, then just keep the option off. Personally I wouldn't like a ringing game either, but as long as the default is off, I dont care :) I'll have a look at this, I don't think it'd be too difficult. However, please supply a wave audio file with the sound. It should be less than about one second in length.

With regards

Lachesis

P.S. Completed my look at it :D Implementing this would require to: get EL sound system ready for non-positional sounds, add configuration options to ELC, ELConfig and el.ini, add an option to options window, add i18n support for the label used there, (eventually) add a hotkey, and finally add the hook to the message processing. Finally, document all this. Any volunteers? 0:c)

Edited by Lachesis

I like the idea of a sound when a person pms you..first of all when you ARE afk but waiting for a certin message to comfirm a deal, buy, ect ect..this will get you there in time..second of all i like the sound because it is kinda like a call from another person

but there is a problem with this..(even though this uis a game)

This game is set in like the midevil ages and stuff like that right? well if there is a sound when someone pms you wont it be more high tech for the time set for this game?

If there were a sound it should be like a call..from a voice of a man or a woman probaly like a "hello" or somthing...

Regards, Projoe

One more thing..i think it would be a good idea to have a kind of switch or command to turn the ring off...for people who dont like the pm sound..this way everyone wins! :D

Edited by projoesback

No! i like how the game is silent :huh:

160215[/snapback]

Me too. I can play my own music in the background.

Great idea!

I suggest another sound when your armor breaks or degrades.

159449[/snapback]

i already told rogue, to change the picture of a degrade/damaged Armor/weapon

maby witha little Dot on the pic if its degraded

make a sound also when i stoped harvest please :P

make a sound also when i stoped harvest please :P

162340[/snapback]

like an 'Ouch!' when bee or mama nature hits you, and an 'Ooh!' when you get coin or XP?