Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

Tools And Guidelines For Writing Quests

I'm now trying to collect and codify a bunch of resources to enable more people to write quests for EL. Maybe later on, this can be used to develop a "proper format" for designing and implementing player-written quests quickly into the game. But for now, here's some basic info for quest-writers:

List of Quest Flags:

You can define and use any combination of the following quest flags/triggers in building a quest:

1) Talking to an NPC about a particular topic sets off a flag.

2) LOOK-ing at an item in the map returns you a script in your console.

3) USE-ing an item on the map returns you a script in your console.

4) Having a (basic or cross) attribute level greater than or less than a certain number opens new options.

5) USE-ing an item opens a new window with a book/scroll to read.

6) Players placing a bag with a certain quantity of items in the correct spot, then triggering something to make it disappear.

7) USE-ing an item opens a new window with a puzzle that, when solved correctly, sends a message to the server?

8) USE-ing an item WITH another has an effect inside the window?

9) USE-ing or LOOK-ing at an item/door in a map allows you to go somewhere else?

10) Nexus levels can be used as triggers?

11) Skill levels can be used as triggers?

12) Quest flags can affect ethereal/material/food points?

13) Casting a spell on an item/NPC sets off a trigger?

* The ones with a '?' behind them I'm not completely certain about. I need a programmer to confirm whether it's possible or not. As far as I know, it seems like they can be done.

Example:

Having a PERCEPTION level < 10 does not allow you to see a puzzle inscribed onto a stone if you LOOK at it. Having a PERCEPTION level >= 10 does, and by LOOK-ing at it, you get a message in console describing it (“You see a stone with three blank holes that seem to have the symbols of essencesâ€). USE-ing the stone opens a window for you to solve the puzzle (only if you have seen it). USE-ing the correct essences WITH the blank holes seen in the window allows you to solve the puzzle. Solving the puzzle teleports you to another map, and opens up a new conversation topic with an NPC you have met previously.

Quest flags NOT allowed (for the moment):

1) Putting an item in your inventory.

2) Creating a bag at some point in space.

Procedure for creating NPCs:

1) State the NPC’s name

2) Describe (briefly) the NPC’s character/personality/role

3) Define the NPC’s position. (Map, X-Y coordinates, sitting/standing)

4) Define the NPC’s relations with other NPCs:

a. Name of other NPC

b. Relationship with other NPC

c. Feelings towards other NPC

5) Define the NPC’s appearance:

a. Race (human, elf, dwarf, orchan, draegoni, gnome)

b. Gender (male, female)

c. Hair (blond, brown, black, draegoniblue, draegonigreen, draegonipurple, gray, red, white)

d. Skin (pale, normal, tan, brown, draegoniblue, draegonigreen, draegonipurple, draegonired, orchanblue, orchangreen, orchanpurple, orchantan)

e. Shirt (black, blue, brown, gray, green, lightbrown, orange, pink, purple, red, white, yellow)

f. Pants (black, blue, brown, darkbrown, gray, green, lightbrown, red, white)

g. Boots (black, brown, darkbrown, dullbrown, lightbrown, orange)

h. Cape (none, black, blue, brown, gray, green, purple, white)

i. Head (head_1, head_2, head_3, head_4) – the default on the Character Creation screen is head_1, and it proceeds to the right from there.

j. Portrait (portraits<number>.bmp; row; column) – found in textures folder

Eg. Wraith = portraits1.bmp; row 3; column 1.

Example:

Name: Lasud.

Role: A guide posted on Isla Prima to help newcomers who have recently spawned. Very warm and helpful. Not a big fan of politics or astronomy.

Relationships:

a ) Lord Luxin – is employed by him. Thinks he is a very nice man and a good leader.

b ) Atekel - knows of her reputation. Refers the player to her for recovering memory.

Position: Isla Prima, [63, 136], standing (outside IP tavern door)

Race: Elf

Hair: Blond

Skin: Normal

Shirt: White

Pants: Black

Boots: Brown

Cape: none

Head: head_3

Portrait: portraits4.bmp; row 3, column 4

That's all for now. I'm hoping to work out a systematic way of planning and designing NPC dialogue to be easily-traced by both writer and programmer, but that could take some time. Also, I'm hoping to eventually begin specifications for creating a QuestBuilder tool (but that's much later).

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna