Eternal Lands Official Forums
giannis

(skining Animals..... One Extra Thing To Do In El)

What do you think?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Sounds good I like it.
    • No i hate it
    • It is not suited for a game like el
    • I am indiferent, don't really care.

Ok i got this from another game (UO) that uses it (so it is not my idea) but i think a modified verison of it can be applied to el too ( the modifications are my idea ;) ).

What i am proposing is that insted of after having killed an animal one should not click on its death bag, to remove the bones, hides, and meat of the animal, rather we should have an "animal skinning skill".

(if you don't know what skinnig is clicketh here)

Basicly it would work something like this: You kill (lets say a beaver) you click on the beaver and you see nothing in its death bag (maybe no death bag till you skin it... that should remove some clutter from the maps).

However since you want to get something out from the beaver like its meat and fur you have to skin it . So, you open your inventory click on a dagger/blad/sword with the "use with button" and then click on the dead carcass. After doing so the beavers death bag appears and you click on it.

You open the dead beaver's death bag and it will have some bones, some meat and some fur. Basicly the higher the skinning skill the more materials you can get from a dead animal.

So at level 0 you can possibly skin a rabit after one or two failed attempts and get 1 meet 1 bone and 1 fur at levl 10 maybe you can get out from a rabbit 2 meats 2 furs 2 bones etc.

The higher the skining lvl the faster you can skin an animal and the less chances you have of ruining the carcass and not getting any resources out from it.

Maybe some animals cannot be skinned unless you have met a required lvl.

Well that's all guys... coments? suggestion? questions? post...

P.S. I know that polls have nothing to do with weather an idea is implemented bt since i know how much ppl love voting on polls i inluded one hehe...

Sounds interesting to me, but making a quick guess I suppose this would be require quite a bit of rewriting the handling of creatures' death and dead creatures.

This isn't gross, it's just something that slaughterers do every day. If you don't understand what it's about, please don't vote.

This isn't gross, it's just something that slaughterers do every day. If you don't understand what it's about, please don't vote.

158437[/snapback]

I understand just fine what it is about, doesn't mean I have to like it. :P

I like the idea, sounds interesting. And have to agree with Mr.Mind - newbies would be on the lost position. So.... the idea is nice but needs work, as usually:|

I guess some people might find skinnig gross, but if you wear a leather jacket in real life you should at least appriciate it ... now having said that ... in El the only thing you have to do is a couple of clicks (does not sound that gross to me ...).

As far as the noobs are concerned i am pretty sure they will appriciate the extra xp that will come along with skinning some animals (good for the overall lvl). I mean you get some xp for killing the rabbit and some bonus xp for skinning it. Its a win-win situation for noobs)

EDIT: TYPOS

Edited by giannis

I think this type of event is made for games with larger databases than EL. If we were able to skin animals we would have to make the animal stay for 12 min instead of a small bag and I think itd just slow things down. I could be wrong though.

Personally, I think we should be able to pick up the corpse of the animal and then be able to skin it and prepare it in Inventory but of course, Large creatures like Bears and such would be different. All in all, I'd prefer that but I think that'll be more complecated then it would need to be.

I do think that collecting Goods from the dead should be more interactive at least.

How about instead of the Death bags, the Body remains behind as a Manipulatible Object and a Player can Click on it to bring up a Little interactive Window with a close up of the animal! Then, the player can click inside the window on the part of the Animal they wish to get. Basicly, taking apart the Animal peice by peice.:lol: Well, I like interactive Games. So sue me!

You will be receiving a letter from my lawer in your mail-box pretty soon.

158484[/snapback]

My Lawyer can Beat up your Lawyer.

It certainly is interesting, and I would vote for it..but is it really worth it?

158485[/snapback]

Well, that Depends. How much is your Vote worth?

Well, I like it. At least, I've always thought that we should do away with Death Bags altogether and just let player's "Search" the Bodies for Drops. Afterall, It's not very likely that items will just "Fall out of the animal" like they do.

Edited by Kami

I like this idea very much. It adds to the role playing part for people who like playing hunter/ranger type of characters. And I don't think it would be a negative for newbies, because they will get those few extra experience points from actually skinning the animal.

Rather than having a continuous variable for resources per animal there could be a simple two tier discrete way. A butcher Perk would be a nice way of getting more meat out of animals, and a butcher cloak wouldn't be so bad as long as it had to be in combat (risk of breaking) in order for it to be effective.

This wouldn't be nice for training. VotD wolf spawn sometimes is very crowded. People fight for spawns there a lot. If you've killed an animal you can just attack the next one now. With the skinning thing you need to skin it first and someone else could have already taken the next wolf.

This could also be a positive thing(everyone get's a wolf and not 1 person) but I think lot's of people wouldn't like the time going wasted.

How long would this skinning take?

I think its a great idea. Certainly would be cool to be able to do, but perhaps not toally worth it.

Oh, and the process of doing this is actually called tanning not skinning.

No, Placid, tanning is making leather from skins. Skinning is removing skin from animals. I guess giannis meant skinning, disemboweling, and removing the flesh from bones.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to leave the carcass without skinning it, IMO it would be nice if it just was an ordinary non-stackable item, that you can mix just with itself or with water essence (dagger in inventory) or use-with a dagger on it in order to skin it. If you like to see the carcass, maybe we could implement that bags with only one slot used show up as their content instead of an actual bag (I already proposed that earlier).

With regards

Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

No, Placid, tanning is making leather from skins. Skinning is removing skin from animals. I guess giannis meant skinning, disemboweling, and removing the flesh from bones.

159014[/snapback]

:D ^_^ Yeah I was wrong...sorry B)

I don't think that skinning would add much, but a tanning skill to manu leather would be very useful...

I don't think that skinning would add much, but a tanning skill to manu leather would be very useful...

159016[/snapback]

Yeah, but it'd also make the game way to easy. That's what the new leather quest is for.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to leave the carcass without skinning it, IMO it would be nice if it just was an ordinary non-stackable item, that you can mix just with itself or with water essence (dagger in inventory) or use-with a dagger on it in order to skin it. If you like to see the carcass, maybe we could implement that bags with only one slot used show up as their content instead of an actual bag (I already proposed that earlier).

With regards

Lachesis

159014[/snapback]

Then it sounds like 2 new skills, skinning and tanning.

Anyways, a good idea to keep newbies busy instead only stupid clicking on animal and clicking on the death bag then.

Piper

Tanning probably won't become a skill, because there's a tanner NPC that does that for you after you have done some quest.

Edited by Lachesis

Well, if Tanning does become avalible to players, it would likely be more time consuming and more Expencive then Buying Leather anyway so I see no harm in it.

But Giving players a choice seams only right thought; Buy Cheap leather from the Tanner or spend time and money on making it yourself.