Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
willd

Software Mode

I just put in a Geforce FX 5200 into my pc today. Whenever i start eternal lands it goes into software mode though. :blink: I installed the latest driver from the nvidia website today(version 71.89). Is there some other driver i need?

you can use #glinfo to check out some stuff and can probably tell from that if it is in hardware or software... does the card come with a utility for config? if so, check if there's stuff in there that could be causing the problem, or if windows (i'm assuming, since it's the most common one, and other operating systems usually already have the latest drivers) is set to not use hardware acceleration (i think that's start->settings->control panel->system->advanced or something, depending on version)

hope this helps

Ok thanx. Yeah, #glinfo says its not in software mode. The FPS seems to be around 4-12 most of the time and goes up to about 50 when no one else is around. Maybe thats normal for this card.

that seems very low, though... one other thing to check, is your CPU running right up? (if in windows xp, alt+tab+del brings up task manager, and it can show you CPU usage)

if it is, then it's your CPU slowing things down, not the graphics card

if it is the graphics card, then keep alert for new software drivers, and disable as much as you're happy with in the config, the less processing, the faster the game will run (less particles, no shadows, clouds, reflections, all that sorta stuff)

(if in windows xp, alt+tab+del brings up task manager, and it can show you CPU usage)

155285[/snapback]

Alt+Tab+Del does nothing in XP; the combination you're thinking of is Ctrl+Alt+Del. However, only hit it once, or you'll reset the computer.

Alt+Tab+Del does nothing in XP; the combination you're thinking of is Ctrl+Alt+Del.  However, only hit it once, or you'll reset the computer.

155313[/snapback]

erm. yeah, that's what i meant <_<

alt+tab starts cycling through windows, though, and pressing del as well stops it. so it does do something, just not what i had in mind :)

I used to have a GeForceFX 5200 video card, and with 800x600 res Hi color I got like 40-50 FPS most of the time (dropped to like 15-25 in crowded areas)

It depends on your connection, CPU and RAM and the number of processes running(in my experience).

he GeForce series of video cards are quite sufficient to run EL, but you might want to consider limiting FPS to free up some CPU time if it gets laggy.

I'm running the same 800x600 and hi colour. I think its my PC thats the problem. It has loads of processes that start running every time i turn it on. I might re-install windows or something.

I'll post my system specs here for comparison.

Graphics chipset: GeForce FX 5200

AGP version: 3.0 (8x)

Main memory: 256M (AGP aperture: 128M)

CPU: Athlon XP 1800

(OpenGL) Driver version: NVIDIA 6629 (Linux)

Graphics options: all on

Resolution: 1024x768

Framerate examples:

Morcraven (empty forest): 25-30 FPS,

Raven (crowded): 10-15 FPS

In front of magic school: 3-5 FPS (for whatever reason)

With regards

Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

I just put in a Geforce FX 5200 into my pc today. Whenever i start eternal lands it goes into software mode though.  B)  I installed the latest driver from the nvidia website today(version 71.89). Is there some other driver i need?

155239[/snapback]

4-12 fps sounds normal for that card, i used FX 5200 for couple weeks while my problematic GeForce 6800 took a trip back to store for replacement.

i recommend turning off shadows and reflections, that should double your FPS to playable level :)

4-12 fps is far away from beeing normal! Go check your driver settings. There's a special OpenGL settings button in the Detonator menu. there's a controller that switches from Best Picture Quality to Best Performance. Try that.

I also recommend you to play in full screen mode and if you have a TFT monitor, always use the native resolution for best picture quality.

My GPU:

Card name: SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150)

Display Memory: 128.0 MB DDR

Other sys specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.050301-1526)

System Manufacturer: NVIDIA (NFORCE CHIPSET

System Model: AWRDACPI

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1800+, ~1.5GHz

Memory: 768MB DDR RAM

Examples:

Molgor (crowded): 30-40fps

Tirnwood (empty): 60-75fps

4-12 fps is far away from beeing normal!

i managed to miss the resolution post, i was playing at 1280x1024 (windowed) :)

so yes, you're right, for 800x600 that ain't normal...

currently playing with my GF6800, FPS around 200-300 depending on place.. i keep limiter at 40 and it has never gone below it

Edited by Astrocreep

Well thanx for your help guys but nothing seems to change the FPS. It has the same FPS whether the graphics card is set to best quality or best performance. I guess my PC is just slow or broke. :)

I have an AMD Atlon XP 1700+ with 256MB RAM btw

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this