Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kirianthis

Multiple Instances Of El

There's a problem that has concerned me a bit recently. If I log in on my normal character, I'm able to log in again... without having logged out in the first place.

When this happens, the first instance of EL gets disconnected from the server and the second is allowed to run normally.

The problem with this is that if someone guesses my password, even if I'm logged in, there's no way for me to stop the other player from changing the password so I can never access my character again.

This was brought to my attention because someone told me that they accidentally typed 3change_pass old new instead of #change_pass old new... someone else saw it, logged on, changed the password and stole the character.

What I would like to see happen is for the first instance of EL to have priority, and a message appear if someone tries to log in with the correct password... ie something like :Message from GOD: Someone has successfully tried to log in as your character. Change your password if it is an unauthorized attempt.

Or... if someone is already logged in and another instance is opened, see if it's possible to compare the two IPs and if they are different, then also send the message.

I'm not a programmer, so I can't help with trying to fix this situation, but I do think it needs to be looked at.

Good luck sorting this one out :P

Judging from the fact it disconnects the first instance, that should be fairly easy, since it knows of both instances.

On the other hand, if someone knew your password, they could log in as you and keep an instance running, so you could never log back in.

If your account is already stolen, the password will be changed immediately and you have no chance of logging in anyway.

With regards

Lachesis