Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

The new forums

lol  :) kinda like el used to make ur tag for *CO* be *co* and everyoen thought u was fake  :lol:

152368[/snapback]

LOL the degradation never ends :P

i think its cool but how come flames were destroyed freedom of speech is freedom of speech plz pm me on the forums if u can explain

153227[/snapback]

legolas, freedom of speech still applies here but no one has to be degrading and hateful about it, i have freedom of speech at work but that does not mean they have to keep me employed there. sometimes a little tact goes a long way and you get more accomplished if you think about what you are trying to say and show intelligence and word it well.

i have never encountered a situation where i couldnt say what i wanted to say. unfortunately there are not enough people who think before they speak.

if you look back in history, hate feeds upon hate, it has happened time and time again and when it gets out of control well, bad things can happen.

i for one, am glad that the forums are much cleaner now and would not have blamed entropy for closing them at all if they stayed as they were.

no one likes to be ganged up on and very few people like to see someone ganged up on, whether they deserved it or not.

its not what you say, its how you say it.

~~getting off my soapbox~~

i think its cool but how come flames were destroyed freedom of speech is freedom of speech plz pm me on the forums if u can explain

153227[/snapback]

If someone came to YOUR house and started calling you all sorts of names and said hateful and hurtful stuff about you nonstop, would you just sit there and let them? If they sat there and used YOUR phone and YOUR computer to tell other people the same things? And what if it wasn't true? Would you still just sit there and let them?

After all, they have all the rights of free speech, right?

If someone came to YOUR house and started calling you all sorts of names and said hateful and hurtful stuff about you nonstop, would you just sit there and let them?  If they sat there and used YOUR phone and YOUR computer to tell other people the same things?  And what if it wasn't true?  Would you still just sit there and let them?

153326[/snapback]

maybe I wouldn't like it. But still, if it wasn't true, and I opened the door to them in the first place, I would very easily have a number of other ways of handling the situation. At the very least, I wouldn't prove to them I was exactly what they called me.

Well then, since you know so much about this stuff Arnieman, want to tell us your "number of other ways of handling the situation" would be? :)

Well then, since you know so much about this stuff Arnieman, want to tell us your "number of other ways of handling the situation" would be? :)

153404[/snapback]

Sorry, I overexaggerated the "very easily". Few things in these cases turn out easy.

First off, I would have attempted civil discussion. From what I've seen, when many problems come up, that seldom happens, in real life or otherwise.

Then, I could have politely asked them to leave.

Then, were they in my house, I'd shut the door and break out a baseball bat. (added as a joke.)

Sorry if I try to sound like I've done this a lot, but, well, I've been in quite a few arguments before. Some that, looking back, I would have handled totally differently.

Edited by Arnieman

First off, I would have attempted civil discussion.  From what I've seen, when many problems come up, that seldom happens, in real life or otherwise.

Did that, multiple times, over the course of many, many hours with more than just one person from the "opposition party". Both in private and in public.

Then, I could have politely asked them to leave.

Also did that many times. In addition, people get a warning before being banned unless they are someone who simply wants to flame bash us and keeps creating new accounts after being banned (which has been happening often enough).

So..anymore ideas? :)

legolas, freedom of speech still applies here but no one has to be degrading and hateful about it, i have freedom of speech at work but that does not mean they have to keep me employed there.  sometimes a little tact goes a long way and you get more accomplished if you think about what you are trying to say and show

i have never encountered a situation where i couldnt say what i wanted to say.  unfortunately there are not enough people who think before they speak.

if you look back in history, hate feeds upon hate, it has happened time and time again and when it gets out of control well, bad things can happen.

i for one, am glad that the forums are much cleaner now and would not have blamed entropy for closing them at all if they stayed as they were.

no one likes to be ganged up on and very few people like to see someone ganged up on, whether they deserved it or not.

its not what you say, its how you say it.

~~getting off my soapbox~~

153240[/snapback]

well ok lets have a conversation about this i think if u dont like that 1forum part

dont go on it i had alot of stuff to reply to on there

If someone came to YOUR house and started calling you all sorts of names and said hateful and hurtful stuff about you nonstop, would you just sit there and let them?  If they sat there and used YOUR phone and YOUR computer to tell other people the same things?  And what if it wasn't true?  Would you still just sit there and let them?

153326[/snapback]

well i have 1 simple thing to reply to this close the door u dont have to go on the flames no1 is forcing u i want to alot of ppl want to if u dont want to thats fine but we do so whats wrong with that

And what does the freedom of speech have to do with our forums? We have no desire, nor any obligation, to allow freedom of speech here.

153228[/snapback]

whatever i disagree strongly but whatever hey lets just get some monkeys in whatever(dont know why i said that but i just like monkeys but not squirrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Back to the forums... why are there two quote buttons again? One turns from a plus sign to a minus sign when you click it, and the other does the old quote function, new post with quoted text, except within the proper tags, which is kinda helpful.

Edited by freeone3000

Just a note, freedom of speach applies to the US government and what it can and can't do in terms of restricting what people say in the USA. It has nothing to do with an Internet message board.

It constantly amazes me that people seem to be unaware of this fairly basic bit of information.

BTW, for the "OMFG no freedom of speech here!11!11!" crowd, I challange you to find any other MMORPG (with more than 100 people online) with forums that will allow unrestricted freedom of speech.

BTW, for the "OMFG no freedom of speech here!11!11!" crowd, I challange you to find any other MMORPG (with more than 100 people online) with forums that will allow unrestricted freedom of speech.

153438[/snapback]

ive seen tons for instance i can name one of the bat maplestory and theres a bunch of others but this guy is really pushin my buttons anyway the new forum is good

153438[/snapback]

I 2nd that.

This is a service, not a platform to abuse the developers/mods/NHs or anyone else. Try to comment on the game and game realted issues and we will all live happily in an abuse-free environment.

well i have 1 simple thing to reply to this close the door u dont have to go on the flames no1 is forcing u i want to alot of ppl want to if u dont want to thats fine but we do so whats wrong with that

153420[/snapback]

What's wrong with that is...this isn't your house. It's roja's and entropy's house and they ARE closing the door. They aren't letting them in anymore. If you want flames you will have to find them elsewhere in somebody else's house.

ok that was very confusing and i already said fine the issues done end of the conversation the forum is good now why are we still fighting the issue

FFS. If you cant obey rules, go play something that doesnt have any rules (errr....lemme know if you find it, i'd like to know how its run).

Don't like the way things are done? As said on numerous occasions: You have every right and opportunity to leave - so do so.

what did i do now i was just explaining somethng and ur saying if u dont like i can leave im fine with it

BTW, to make it clear regarding the freedom of speech thing.

We do not mind when people manifest their discontent with some issue or another in a civilized, polite manner. For example, a message such as: "I believe that making X item dropable only by monsters will have a negative imact on the economy, so I suggest that the X item, in addition with the Y item should be available both as a rare drop, but also in the stores" is OK (polite, offers a suggestion, is not a troll bait).

However, a message like: "You will ruin the economy by making item X dropable only by monsters and a lot of players already quit the game because there is no freedom of speech here and the economy sucks! Oh and you suck and you are so unfair and even if you ban me I'll do my best to come back on your stupid boards and harass you and the community. And I always wanted the best for Eternal Lands but the developers don't listen because they are all corrupted to the bone and they are script kiddies" is NOT OK (not constructive, insulting, troll bait, threats, presenting missinformation, etc.).

So yes, most of the time it's not so much of WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.

most of the time it's not so much of WHAT you say, but HOW you say it

Ah the truth of it all, lets face it you can call someone an "idiot" or you can call them "A meandering thoughtless fool with no mental capabilities of any value what so ever..." It sounds so much better when you leave them dumbfounded trying to figuer out what you just said to them.

NeoSeS

U obey U ok!

I just thought in the spirit of things Ent that you might consider

U obey U Roxors!!!
:D I don't know it just sounds Kooler :D

Ah the truth of it all, lets face it you can call someone an "idiot" or you can call them "A meandering thoughtless fool with no mental capabilities of any value what so ever..." It sounds so much better when you leave them dumbfounded trying to figuer out what you just said to them.

Or, alternatively, you can attempt to explain that person why his or her views are incorrect. If they really really don't get it, then yes, they are idiots. If this is the case, telling them they are idiots won't really help, because most of the idiots have a very high self esteem (ignorance is bliss).

I just thought in the spirit of things Ent that you might consider [...]

No, "U obey U OK" is better :D

BTW, to make it clear regarding the freedom of speech thing.

We do not mind when people manifest their discontent with some issue or another in a civilized, polite manner. For example, a message such as: "I believe that making X item dropable only by monsters will have a negative imact on the economy, so I suggest that the X item, in addition with the Y item should be available both as a rare drop, but also in the stores" is OK (polite, offers a suggestion, is not a troll bait).

However, a message like: "You will ruin the economy by making item X dropable only by monsters and a lot of players already quit the game because there is no freedom of speech here and the economy sucks! Oh and you suck and you are so unfair and even if you ban me I'll do my best to come back on your stupid boards and harass you and the community. And I always wanted the best for Eternal Lands but the developers don't listen because they are all corrupted to the bone and they are script kiddies" is NOT OK (not constructive, insulting, troll bait, threats, presenting missinformation, etc.).

So yes, most of the time it's not so much of WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.

153510[/snapback]

yeah i suppose ur right :lol: :lol: didnt mean to cause such a fight but i was wondering

So..anymore ideas? :D

153417[/snapback]

That's where the baseball bat comes in handy. :)

In all seriousness, my major concern has been addressed by Entropy. I am one of the "freedom of speech" advocates, who wanted exactly what has been said we have: tactfully worded critique.

Back to the forums... why are there two quote buttons again? One turns from a plus sign to a minus sign when you click it, and the other does the old quote function, new post with quoted text, except within the proper tags, which is kinda helpful.

153430[/snapback]

I think I can answer your question. The new "Quote" feature works with the "Reply" button next to it, so that you can reply directly to that person, either with quoting them (+), or not (-).

In all seriousness, my major concern has been addressed by Entropy.  I am one of the "freedom of speech" advocates, who wanted exactly what has been said we have: tactfully worded critique.

Well..that always was and always will be here. So..why all the complaining then from everybody? There certainly is a difference of: mindful polite critisisms vs. developer and/or mod bashings.

it's the later that we are not tolerating. Can you really blame us?