Eternal Lands Official Forums
Wytter

Client wishlist version 3

It must be a really handy and must be universal.

at the moment, we're so-so on this point... works on windows and linux, I beleive it's not too hard to get working on BSD, and there's work on a mac port

1. Stop talking what is better shortcut for that function .. what kay will better for another. Simply make Keyboard shortcuts Menu in config ... and let ussers to changing key shortcuts.

disagree. you always need to have good defaults. the less config you have to do when you start, the better (of course, the more options you have to play with, should you so chose...).

having a GUI option to change keybindings in-game wouldn't hurt though

2. Buddies list is really good idea. But its impossible to add users that are not loged in (or maybe im wrong? ) Another thing : Only online Buddies are displayed on that list ... i think that better solution are Tibia-like VIPlist with changing position and color of online and offline budies. Another thing .. it was bbe nice to add some info about friends from that list.

you can't add offline people, because with EL buddy list the other person must accept.

showing offline people is an issue that has been raised many times since before the buddy list was rolled out, hopefully something will be done about this soon

saving info related to a buddy is harder, because it's either saved client-side (the buddy list itself isn't though, so you'll probably go out of sync... unless the notes is generic and used to reference any players) or server-side (and that can be a lot of data storage, when you have a lot of inactive characters, and it's nice to be able to leave old chars available a while)

3.  The chat ! Its realy nice but why default chat is "local" why when im sellecting for example "channel 105" i still need type "@" to talk on that channel ?

If you dont like my idea ... please make only option to talk always on sellected channel.  (and add hotkey to cycle channels pages).

then how do you quickly send a message to local when in a channel? it might work, but unless you have keyboard issues with making the @ symbol (and I know a few people have), i don't think there's much need

as for cycle channels, I think there is one... ctrl or alt plus pageup/down, perhaps? something like that

4. For Windows client (or maybe Linux too): Possiblity to free resize of window size (when playing in window mode), and option to maximize window.

well, window resize won't work, but I wonder how hard it would be to make the 'maximize' button make it go fullscreen (things like DVD player softare do this, so it's not a totally new idea)

Walk is not needed because when you click on place there are nothing to open or atack character must go there. If there are something to open or atack ... character must go ther and do what must be done ;D

there's the spell, teleport to range... that's used to click on a location, and you magic over instead of walk... and you can click to walk to the square a bag is on without clicking the bag... I think the interface works okay now (apart from cursor lag)

7. I think that inventory window shoult be always opened, but there is no place for ion the screen. Maybe its time to make right BAR more wide to place on it all inventory and what we have dressed on.

a quickbar-type thingy that sits on the bottom of the window is something I've considered... IMO, as long as we have a quickbar, the need for this isn't high

8. Windows transparency cant be dissabled now ... it must be changed (option in VideoOptions) because some peoples dont like when cant read :medieval:

yes, the windows can be hard to read when on a snow map, etc... :( one of my patches under review at current adds the option to set the window background alpha... hopefully this one will be ready in the next release ^_^

BTW. Its realy nice that its possible to talk with EL developers. Thanks to that forum i can say what i think about that game .. and i hope that most of my wishes will be done ;D

216282[/snapback]

oh, aye, EL isn't technically brilliant (it's not bad, but there's a lot we can do yet), it's the community and community-dev interaction that makes this game great

Guest amikot

Hi !

Its me again.

Replying to ttlanhil:

at the moment, we're so-so on this point... works on windows and linux, I beleive it's not too hard to get working on BSD, and there's work on a mac port

i was talked on another universal issue but ofcourse its greate that EL works fine on that many OS's. Im suggesting to add a port for PPC AmigaOS4 (there is OpenGL support) and Interned library is based on BSD solutions. If youy want i can talk ith my friend that works on AmigaOS4 ....

So .. when im talking about universal issue ... i was talked about universality of configuration . Like many default Keyboard configs, many video configs ... etc.

you can't add offline people, because with EL buddy list the other person must accept.

And its bad idea. Its not a Skype or another ICQ. In the game sometimes wee need to remember a name of someone ... not for talkin with him but for knowing who he is or what he doing.

For example : You buy something from one person and you know that he is ok .. and that he has good stuff for sale. But your memory is not a CDrom ... you are not using Lecitine or another memory busters .. you want write somewher who he is.

Ok then he can accepts your request to add to buddy list. But another example ... you have him on your list ... and someone other wants to buy a shield ... you know that your buddy have that shield and want to sell ... but he is not online atm. So buyer must remember in his own memory the name of seller because they cant write him to buddy list.

I realy dont know what is wrong in makeing buddy list without need to autorisation.

saving info related to a buddy is harder, because it's either saved client-side (the buddy list itself isn't though, so you'll probably go out of sync... unless the notes is generic and used to reference any players) or server-side (and that can be a lot of data storage, when you have a lot of inactive characters, and it's nice to be able to leave old chars available a while)

I dont see anything wrong to keep Budies Info (and maybe signs-icons of buddies) on local disk within client directory.

Tibia is ussing that solution and there is nothing wrong.. ok when im loging in on another machine ... i dont have my Buddy-list but i think thats not realy problem because most of players are playing always on the same machine. And for others .. it can be done Buddielist and settings import/export option in client options.

hen how do you quickly send a message to local when in a channel? it might work, but unless you have keyboard issues with making the @ symbol (and I know a few people have), i don't think there's much need

as for cycle channels, I think there is one... ctrl or alt plus pageup/down, perhaps? something like that

Its silmpe. Make option in options window to dissable or enable default output to "local". When option "local chat" will be enabled you always will talk on local excluding time when you use "/" or "@" . When "local chat" will be dissabled you always will talk on sellected channel excluding time when you use "/" or "@". In this case "@" will send text to "local" channel.

It dont must be a option in options... it can be for example a small button beside channellist tab-bar (left upper corner of the screen) etc.

well, window resize won't work, but I wonder how hard it would be to make the 'maximize' button make it go fullscreen (things like DVD player softare do this, so it's not a totally new idea)

Hmmm . Yes, but fullscreen its not realy good idea for many players because its disables a Windows Taskbar (someone want to keep this for Skype, ICQ or another aps.) ... and in my case its dissabling second screen where im watching TV.

So better solution will be when maximize button will maximize window to visible part of desktop excluding taskbar.

I think thats not hard to do because im not saying about simple resizing ... but about changing woindow resolution to defined (like by user) size.

there's the spell, teleport to range... that's used to click on a location, and you magic over instead of walk... and you can click to walk to the square a bag is on without clicking the bag... I think the interface works okay now (apart from cursor lag)

Ok .. walking option is needed but cycling walk->see->use->use with->attack by RMB or any otrher Keyboard button are not handy (IMO). Bedder sollution will be to use a holddown keys for Attack, use/use with and see.

In Tibia for example :

clicking only LMB = walk

Shift+LMB= look

Alt+LMBt = Atack

Ctrl+LMB = Use/use with

Its verry handy solution and i dont see anything wrong to use it in EL too :P

BTW. Use and use with can be done as one option because i think there is no items that can be used or used with .. For example raw meat can be only used with (with fire for example:) but cooked meet can be only used, not used with.

Maybe im wrong .. then say that.

a quickbar-type thingy that sits on the bottom of the window is something I've considered... IMO, as long as we have a quickbar, the need for this isn't high

A quickbar view of ionventory are unussable, you cant see all slots of inventory and cant wear something or change equip realy fast ...

Another thing that if you make more wide the right bar, you can think about small minimap in that bar to fast see where you are.

And Replying to crusadingknight:

If there are EL.ini and Key.ini only what we need is a good config editor.

I see that there is a config editor .,. buyt its realy poor.

hen how do you quickly send a message to local when in a channel? it might work, but unless you have keyboard issues with making the @ symbol (and I know a few people have), i don't think there's much need

Its silmpe. Make option in options window to dissable or enable default output to "local". When option "local chat" will be enabled you always will talk on local excluding time when you use "/" or "@" . When "local chat" will be dissabled you always will talk on sellected channel excluding time when you use "/" or "@". In this case "@" will send text to "local" channel.

It dont must be a option in options... it can be for example a small button beside channellist tab-bar (left upper corner of the screen) etc.

216451[/snapback]

I know I personally have trouble getting my channels straight, even when we only had the option of speaking in local or one other channel. The reason I believe we have local channel as default is for roleplaying reasons: just speak aloud, and others around you can hear. To speak in a channel requires something special, since the players you're communicating with are not always even in the same map, hence the useage of the @ symbol. I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it. To have the ability to change the default "channel" from local to the channel in use will create only confusion. How would you speak in local chat then? Personally, I don't see this as needed.

And Replying to  crusadingknight:

If there are EL.ini and Key.ini only what we need is a good config editor.

I see that there is a config editor .,. buyt its realy poor.

216451[/snapback]

I know for the Windows version that there is a Notepad version of the configuration editor. Being a relative novice at computers, I found that version very easy to use- it explained everything I was changing, and all you needed to change was often "yes" or "no", in the form of 1 and 0. Save the document again, and the changes are saved and reflected in-game. With the expanded options menu that came with the last major update, it has made options even easier to change. If this wasn't what you meant, then I apologize.

Guest amikot
I know I personally have trouble getting my channels straight, even when we only had the option of speaking in local or one other channel. The reason I believe we have local channel as default is for roleplaying reasons: just speak aloud, and others around you can hear. To speak in a channel requires something special, since the players you're communicating with are not always even in the same map, hence the useage of the @ symbol. I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it. To have the ability to change the default "channel" from local to the channel in use will create only confusion. How would you speak in local chat then? Personally, I don't see this as needed.

What i can say ?

I was alredy say how to speak in local when "auto local speak" option will disabled.

Thern for local you can say "@text".

Another way ... if you like to speak always local .. there is no need to disable "auto local speak".

When im saying that this option is necessary, i think to make game more handy .. for all players not only linux users .. :) When game will more handy ... it will more popular .. then game will less boreing.

You must see that feeling of game is not all to make realy popular game. Sometimes game must have things that are in conflict with realism but makes better fun for players.

Otherway .. if developers wants to make realy realistic game .. dissable all messaging system and leave only local chat.

If they are makes possible to chat on all game world... why it must be hard ? i want to speak easy with my game friends .... because im talking only with them in the game.

I know some C2+ and know that adding option like that is no realy hard to do, because all speaking engine are ready... and its only one "if" instruction to addthat will check that option are enabled or dissabled and when "local" are dissabled client will add @ before all message.

Ok. second "if" will check that message is begining by @ ant when yes, it will send text local.

realy easy.

I know for the Windows version that there is a Notepad version of the configuration editor. Being a relative novice at computers, I found that version very easy to use- it explained everything I was changing, and all you needed to change was often "yes" or "no", in the form of 1 and 0. Save the document again, and the changes are saved and reflected in-game. With the expanded options menu that came with the last major update, it has made options even easier to change. If this wasn't what you meant, then I apologize.

216475[/snapback]

yes ... i see that you are realy funny linux user. i knowlinux from years , i know much more systems and i know that linux are realy cool, excluding one thing.

Linux users likes to make all complicated. most linux programs are only shell comands with tousents of swithes, options etc. i think thats no cool ... i think that realy good os/game and software at all must have realy much options but must be handy too ..... when linux will realy easy and handy , microsoft will die :D

Not sure how I suddenly became a "realy funny linux user", since I use the ebul Micro$oft Winduhs, but okay :D

We want the client to be simple and easy to use so that it would be more popular. I'm not sure how changing the default no-symbol chat from local to the channel specified will make things simpler. In fact, I think it would make it more confusing, especially if you forget which channel you have set as default. It makes good roleplaying sense that you chat locally without any special symbols, and since this is after all a roleplaying game, I don't think we should change it.

And I'm still not sure how the Notepad configuration became a feature of Linux, since I made it clear that it was from Windows. But again I apologize if I misunderstand you. ^_^

My wife and I are Myst players (mostly my wife) and we were very disappointed that Uru Live didn't launch.

But last week I have discovered Eternal Lands and this is a lot like Uru Live could have been. Simpler graphics, yes, but a wealth of interaction!!!

Now for my suggestion. Perhaps it's not a purely client thing, maybe it's client+server?

Sometimes people are firewalled and can't do a thing about it. But there is a way out of this prison:

* If they use a socks proxy, there seems to be software to solve the problem. Described on the forum somewhere.

* If they use a http proxy, there is a problem. It would be nice if one could tell the EL client: "send everything to proxy X on port Y and tell that proxy to connect to EL server Z on port W." Just like with, lets say, the quicktime movie player, to give a random example.

I would love to have it wher ethe cursor would change color when a target is or isn't with in the spell's range, it's horrible when you click 10 times to get the spell to finally get a good go and then you go to click on a target you think is in range and it says target out of range and then you have to click all over again to get a success. I'd also like have spells hot keyed. I love the quick bar, but it would be awsome if I could just push a button.

Sometimes people are firewalled and can't do a thing about it. But there is a way out of this prison:

that's assuming that they have a socks or http proxy in place. if so, then yes, support for using one of these shouldn't be a bad thing.

on the other hand (and it seems a lot more common), if there's a firewall (and no proxy) that's blocking you from playing an online game, there's probably a good reason for it. first step is to talk to your network admin.

there are ways to tunnel a connection out through a firewall, but to set that up means the player has to actually take a few moments and think about what they're doing.

support for existing proxy server wouldn't be bad, automatic support for firewall piercing would be

maybe there could be a wraith in irillion or somthing like that rather

already discussed in several other threads, and not a client issue.

I would love to have it wher ethe cursor would change color when a target is or isn't with in the spell's range, it's horrible when you click 10 times to get the spell to finally get a good go and then you go to click on a target you think is in range and it says target out of range and then you have to click all over again to get a success. I'd also like have spells hot keyed. I love the quick bar, but it would be awsome if I could just push a button.

there are hotkeys for the spells in your quickbar, just like the item quickbar. alt/ctrl + 1-6 to access both bars :P (configurable in keys.ini)

the spell cursor only happening when the target is in range sounds good, but then you need to know what the range is client-side (and with some spells that have different ranges, this is harder). there's a new magic system coming, check: New spells interface. this may be a better place for magic-related suggestions/discussion