Eternal Lands Official Forums

The Pope

I don't know if anyone else heard but the Pope officially died earlier today. It's really sad for me as a Catholic. I'd just like to see other people's thoughts and about this. :)

btw please don't turn this into a flame war about religion.

Edited by 007

one thing is for sure...they will have a difficult time finding someone to fill his shoes.

one thing is for sure...they will have a difficult time finding someone to fill his shoes.

I agree, was a great man. I'm not catholic but I know he's affected millions of people around the world...RIP

The Pope John Paul II had an influence on people that stretched further than just those of the Catholic faith. He will be deeply missed but forever admired by everyone from all stretches of life. Glory is forever.

Rest in peace Pope John Paul II. Walk with Terri to Heaven.

*takes a moment of silence to remember a great man*

I can only pray that when conclave is done there will be a pope that can continue the humanitarian efforts that was Pope John Paul II legacy.

I am an atheist, and as such I didn't not view Pope John Paul II as a person of great personal importance to myself. I do however feel that he has done a lot to bring tolerance to the Catholic religion and in that I am glad. May he have died in peace and may whatever might exist for him be pleasant.

I just hope the new Pope will allow catholics to use condoms and anticonceptionals.

Edit: This is not a random flame, it's a very important isue, the world is overpopulated and geting more so every day.

Edited by Paladin

btw- anyone know his cristian name? aka his birth name.

thx daxon

Karol Jozef Wojtyla

Actually that's Karol Józef Wojtyła

You must have ISO-8859-2 to read that :D

Regards

Chryzopraz

Edited by Chryzopraz

I don't know if anyone else heard but the Pope officially died earlier today. It's really sad for me as a Catholic.

I don't get this. Why are people sad about this?

If you're a true catholic - or any other christian believer

The pope is on his way to meet god. The guy probably looked forward to this all his life, and he is finally getting his wish fulfilled. A bit like when a Britney Spears fan get's to meet his/her idol, just much bigger. The pope is happy, you should be happy for him, not sad.

If you don't believe in god (believers are not adviced to read this part).

There is no god. The pope is just an old guy in a funny hat. An old guy died, just like millions of other old guys you don't know. You aren't related to him, he is not your friend, he's just a guy who was on TV a bit too often because of a hoax involving a man on a cross a few thousand years ago. There's nothing to be sad about.

He was indeed way too conservative in many aspects, but that does not lessen the value of his efforts towards world peace and understanding between the world religions. He was accepted and respected by all leaders around the globe, religous or secular, and many people adored him.

He is considered a friend of the jewish people and stretched out his hand towards the orthodox christianity, the Dalai Lama and many islamic leaders call him a friend.

He must have travelled 100s of countries and it meant a lot for the people there.

I am far from being a religious person, but I truly respect him for his positive impact on the world in the last 27 years.

I don't get this. Why are people sad about this?

It's not like that Leeloo. The Pope was a great man who made our world a better place to live. It doesn't matter if you belive in god or not, it's a fact.

He helped my country and several others get freedom. We were once communist under strong Soviet influence. You were forbidden to leave your country without permission. And sometimes even to move to a different city.

He did a lot of good whether you like it or not. Probably he could have done even better like in the cited articles. But don't forget how conservatic were popes before him. And who knows how our world would look like without him? Maybe we would have a great western-soviet war? Maybe another great Chrystian-Islamic war? It is known as a fact that he stopped at least a war between Chile and Argentina. And that war almost started, both armies were armed and facing each other, ready to attack.

Regards

Chryzopraz

PS.

I am an atheist if you want to know, but still think it's sad he's no longer among us. And haven't seen or known him personally.

I am not talking about whether he did good things or not. The guy was a catholic, he believed in god, he is now with god. He's happy, those who care should be happy for him.

I don't agree with a single world of yours, but it's not the place to discuss it.

Do you know that over 30 % of people in Poland can't afford a proper meal everyday ?

THIS is really sad.

I really tried to resist answering that one, but failed.

I know, I live in Poland as well :blink:

There were many poor people earlier too, but it was hidden. In fact almost everyone was poor and it was very, very difficult to get a proper food everyday if you don't remember. Even those poor have mostly better lives than they had. But just in comparison to others it looks worse. Almost everyone was poor, so it looked just. Now some people are rich, some are really wealthy, and some are still poor. And some poor people are jealous about that.

It is sad, but in many cases those people are responsible for their own situation.

Regards

Chryzopraz