Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Monsters & Weapons & Armor!

I know how much everyone wants to see more Monsters, cool weapons and armor in the game. Even I want to see them, I can't wait :)

Don't worry guys, I will not let you down! We plan to add a TON of monsters/weapons/armor in the near future, although there are no dates set as to when they will go in the game. There is a LOT to work on, in all areas of this game, and we are taking our time to get it done right. I can assure you they will be done, just not when :)

For weapons there will be all sorts from these categories:

-swords

-axes, hammers

-polearms (staffs, magic staffs, spears, glaives, halberds, etc)

-maces

-daggers

-bows, crossbows, slings

And a ton of armor too!

As for animals & monsters I do not have a complete list and am doing them as they come up. You are welcome to post your concept art or idea descriptions of original or uncommon monsters in the Art section of the forums. You do not need to draw pictures of common monsters (such as medusa or a hydra), because I already know what they are :)

Guest dimuch

Thet is cool idea i think after that more people will come to play EL and every1 else will injoy it more.

Thank you programers!!! :P

I'd rather like another option in the 'ranged weapons' class... the mighty snowball!

0-0 damage, maybe +1 cold damage

only available in snow maps, of course

snowball fights!

(no, placid's pig is not the snowball I speak off, leave the bacon alone ;) )

ill be glad to see ranged weapons finally come to the game :D

but, with the current exp system, using weapons is pointless :rolleyes:

Like many people I am looking forward to seeing new weapons and equipment. I had a number of ideas but most of them are covered above.

One thing to consider:

Left-Handed Weapons.

The shield was commonly used in the early middle ages but as the middle ages wore on more advanced fighting techniques came into play that made shields obsolete. Two-handed weapons such as pikes and halberds became much more common, but for the swordsman the alternative to the shield became the left-hand dagger.

The blocking dagger, or "main-gauche," became an important part of the swordsman's repertoire, and against other swordsmen the main-gauche allowed a much greater ability to riposte after a successful parry.

In game terms this would mean a slightly lesser defense bonus than shields, but an increase to accuracy rather than a penalty and possibly a small addition to the damage done by the primary weapon. However, the main-gauche would provide no protection from missiles at all (not sure how missile weapons are going to work but I think the shields' defense ability against arrows and such should be higher - that was the main purpose of shields).

I would like to see such a weapon in the game and I think it would make an attractive alternative to shields. However, because of the complexity of using two weapons at once, a book ought to be required to use this style of fighting.

Hap_Loder

i dont know how usefull a pike (ie, the long, knight-stopping ones) where in hand to hand combat. personaly i would just drop it and draw sword (and then maybe use a dagger rather then a shield as its less bulky) but for a personal defense item a shield isnt so bad (and is very intuitive to use. just keep it between you and your opponent :P ).

anyways, two weapon fighting should be its own book. and it would be interesting to see stuff like disarms happening. and i have a feel this may be planed for future updates.

how about this:

1 level book: balanced 2-weapon fighting (two weapons of similar weight, daggers and so on)

2: unbalanced (one hand weapon with a lighter backup)

2: disarm

any 2 need 1 as a basis...

one thing tho, to have two weapon in use at the same time will require some reworkings of the code dealing with worn and carryed items. right now it just looks to see if a item of the similar type to the one you try to equip in allready in one of the slots.

i dont know how usefull a pike (ie, the long, knight-stopping ones) where in hand to hand combat.

171045[/snapback]

Pikes were mainly used in military formations and in the late middle-ages and early renaissance were considered the ultimate infantry weapon. You're right though that in a one-on-one fight they aren't too useful. Halberds, on the other hand have a great deal more flexibility and even one-on-one are quite useful.

personaly i would just drop it and draw sword (and then maybe use a dagger rather then a shield as its less bulky) but for a personal defense item a shield isnt so bad (and is very intuitive to use. just keep it between you and your opponent :P ).

The main advantage of shields is that they are simple to use, and they are good for protecting against missile weapons, but they are also clumsy and block your view.

anyways, two weapon fighting should be its own book.

Yes, that was the idea in my previous post.

and it would be interesting to see stuff like disarms happening. and i have a feel this may be planed for future updates.

how about this:

1 level book: balanced 2-weapon fighting (two weapons of similar weight, daggers and so on)

2: unbalanced (one hand weapon with a lighter backup)

2: disarm

any 2 need 1 as a basis...

I had also envisioned the two equal weapons concept, but that would not be possible with the current code configuration, so I didn't bother bringing it up. A left hand dagger however could be programmed so the program thinks it's a kind of shield.

However, you've got your order backwards here... using two swords of equal size is much more difficult than a sword-and-dagger combination, and was never adopted as a fighting style here on Earth in any significant numbers. Nevertheless it sounds cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing it in the game, but it should be harder than using the left-hand dagger.

Hap_Loder

Well first, PLEASE make more polearms (I would like to see staves that reduce mana cost etc.)

Then either more axes, hammers or just plain old completely new weapons.

The missle weapon system will be interesting to see :)

hmmm, i wonder if twin blades would be possible, like 2 blades exactly alike but they're smaller than swords.

Edited by gilthanas

just a thought but maybe u should add clubs and stuff really cheap for newbies also siths!

I had also envisioned the two equal weapons concept, but that would not be possible with the current code configuration, so I didn't bother bringing it up.  A left hand dagger however could be programmed so the program thinks it's a kind of shield.

However, you've got your order backwards here... using two swords of equal size is much more difficult than a sword-and-dagger combination, and was never adopted as a fighting style here on Earth in any significant numbers.  Nevertheless it sounds cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing it in the game, but it should be harder than using the left-hand dagger.

171054[/snapback]

Though I haven't seen the server code, it probably wouldn't kill someone to write a body-based equipment system instead of type-slot based (just send the body part, and the client interprets it into the bone that equipment piece attaches to/modifies the texture of). From my perspective, the inherent balance issues of such a system are the largest problem which would need to be resolved beforehand.

just a thought but maybe u should add clubs and stuff really cheap for newbies also siths!

171279[/snapback]

I personally would like you to be able to pick up a piece of wood, or bone, and use it as a weapon. They would suck, but hey... they're free! And they would still be better than fighting bare-handed. Maybe use a piece of ore or quartz as a blunt instrument as well.

Or be able to take a bottle of ale or wine, break it, and attack with the broken bottle!

Heck, allow you to hit people with flowers! They would do even LESS than fighting bare-handed, and they'd break very easily. How humiliating would that be... "he killed me with blue lupines!" :P

Hap_Loder

Edited by Hap_Loder

I personally would like you to be able to pick up a piece of wood, or bone, and use it as a weapon.  They would suck, but hey... they're free!  And they would still be better than fighting bare-handed.  Maybe use a piece of ore or quartz as a blunt instrument as well.

Or be able to take a bottle of ale or wine, break it, and attack with the broken bottle!

Heck, allow you to hit people with flowers!  They would do even LESS than fighting bare-handed, and they'd break very easily.  How humiliating would that be... "he killed me with blue lupines!" :P

Hap_Loder

171573[/snapback]

Edit: I seem to have posted this twice. But there's no "delete" function. How do I delete the redundant post?

Edited by Hap_Loder

I had also envisioned the two equal weapons concept, but that would not be possible with the current code configuration, so I didn't bother bringing it up.  A left hand dagger however could be programmed so the program thinks it's a kind of shield.

However, you've got your order backwards here... using two swords of equal size is much more difficult than a sword-and-dagger combination, and was never adopted as a fighting style here on Earth in any significant numbers.  Nevertheless it sounds cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing it in the game, but it should be harder than using the left-hand dagger.

Hap_Loder

171054[/snapback]

when i was talking about equal sized weapons i was thinking about say 2 daggers or similar. two swords would be slightly insane :P sorry that i didnt specify.

and programming a left hand dagger to be a shield would be easy. infact you could to that right now by basicly taking a dagger model and applying a shield definition to it.

but if we had a generic 2 weapon fighting system then you could in theory combine any two 1-handed weapons if you had read the right books (twin thermal serpents anyone? scary thought). and give special propertys to said weapons that only apply when combined into a style with another weapon.

i allso hope that one will be able to wield the daggers both in a thrusting fashion (pointy end up/forward) and in a more unconventional parry/slash/thrust fashion (pointy end down, under arm).

I know how much everyone wants to see more Monsters, cool weapons and armor in the game. Even I want to see them, I can't wait :)

Don't worry guys, I will not let you down! We plan to add a TON of monsters/weapons/armor in the near future, although there are no dates set as to when they will go in the game. There is a LOT to work on, in all areas of this game, and we are taking our time to get it done right. I can assure you they will be done, just not when :P

For weapons there will be all sorts from these categories:

-swords

-axes, hammers

-polearms (staffs, magic staffs, spears, glaives, halberds, etc)

-maces

-daggers

-bows, crossbows, slings

And a ton of armor too!

As for animals & monsters I do not have a complete list and am doing them as they come up. You are welcome to post your concept art or idea descriptions of original or uncommon monsters in the Art section of the forums. You do not need to draw pictures of common monsters (such as medusa or a hydra), because I already know what they are ;)

148774[/snapback]

Two months has past roja!!!! Do u have any clue off when new weapons and armor will appear in game?

I personally would like you to be able to pick up a piece of wood, or bone, and use it as a weapon.

I would love to see that happen too but mainly for the inevitable message, "Your bones has been destroyed"

SUGGESTION:MONSTER

I think Zombies would be cool, make them stronger than gobs,gargs and orcs. If Zombies are added i think you should look at adding gore to the game also :P .

:ANIMAL

When you log in you see a horse aswell as all the other animals, shouldn't you implement them too? :)

My mind has went blank.. if i come up with any other extremely good idea il post them here ;)

Edited by FRoGkiLL

A sugestion

New annimals : Tigers and maybe birds ( to hunt with ranged weapons)

new monster : Skeleton using ranged weapon

New item : some thing that when u die it revives u but on half EP and MPN

New weapon : rifle , pistol

new magic : magic missle

new event : sometimes be attacked by bandits when traveling from one continet to another

Hope this suggstions help improvng the game

PS. See ya in game

I surely dont like rifle and pistol, this IS a midevil game after all. Other than that though, everyone's ideas are awesome! I would love to us a daggar! xD and finally a staff that has a chance against a serp! w00t

Edited by Bana

I know i said this before, but i believe it is nescisary to have an awesome weapon in each weapon catagory, so that serps arent the only things that anyone ever kills you with.

Honestly i need some variety. I wanna see a man with a mace, or a staff, or a hammer, that ACTUALLY has a chance against a same lvl person with a serp... I think this would take the monotony out of pking, and allow people to express themselves more freely!

How about a a titanium fire flair or thermal flair! how awesome would this be!

Guest Faasan

Halberds and spears-yaaay :angry: *there should be bows too* keep up the good work,your doing fine :angry: