Eternal Lands Official Forums
chintan

New top 50 list for unspecialized players

How about adding a new top 50 list to http://el.tfm.ro/top/top50.php for the highest 50 lowest skill levels. For example, if your stats are:

Attack: 25

Defense: 27

Harvesting: 37

Alchemy: 34

Potion: 18

Magic: 16

Summoning: 12

Manufacturing: 14

Crafting: 10

your lowest skill level is 10.

Edited by chintan

there are too many chars that were created that were never used

they will all be on 0 - so you wont even be on the list.

BUT - i have aready suggested adding the top 50 AVERAGE list, that should encourage people to BOOST their lowest skills

there are too many chars that were created that were never used

they will all be on 0 - so you wont even be on the list.

I didn't say make a list of the lowest 50 lowest skills, I said make a list of the highest 50 lowest skills.

I gave an example of how to determine lowest skill above, the people with the 50 highest levels obtained that way will be listed. So if 50 people have at least lvl 1 in every skill, there will be no 0's on the list.

Edited by chintan

but there will be 1000 with lvl 1 - who played but didnt stick around

sorry, but your suggestion just wont work

But those 1000 would not be in the top 50 cause no doubt there are people with nothing below a 20 (just a fictional number).

Now lets say there are 100 people with 20 on their lowest skill then you go to the persons second lowest skill and conpare those.

what i am trying to get at is this.

the top 50 list works because by its very nature, those on the top are active.

there is no way of listing "active" players to this LOWEST skill category

I still don't get why it would not work but I will just assume I am clueless (not the first time I have assumed it and no doubt not the last). No need to explain it any further to my noob ars Good Idea anyway chintan.

The lowest skill category would have active players, because you have to be quite active to raise all 9 skills to say, lvl 20. There are plenty of active people who work on all their skills, so there wouldn't be any room for inactive players.

You don't get on the list by making your skills as low as possible. You get on it by working on all your skills as much as possible, so that your lowest one is high.

Edited by chintan

But what would be the reason for such a list? It's in no way a representative selection, because people that don't play in an allrounder style won't go on that list ever. So in the end such a list would force players to a specific playing style, which is imo the most bad thing that can happen to a RPG world. Only achievers would be on this list, because the other three types of players usually don't level any single skill.

Chintan, I don't think you've fully explained what you're trying to say in ways that anyone is fully grasping.

As best as I can figure, you want some sort of Average "Top 50" where no skill can be zero. That won't work. You can make a non-zero requirement, but the average will be heavily skewed by highest skills. For example: someone can have a level 1 crafting, but if their A/D are 70/70 their average is still way high.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe what you mean, is you take their lowest skill (let's say Crafting 10, all other skills would have to be higher or equal). And let's (for arguement's sake) say that a 10 is the highest of the "lowest skill" for anyone who has levels in all categories. Now let's say that there are 200 people with a level 10 in the lowest skill. From there where do you measure? Average of the rest of the skills? It still would lead back to someone with one or two skills that were heavily tweaked that would rule (i.e. A/D 70/70 still skewing the average and thus someone already in the Top 50 also being in your list).

But maybe that isn't quite what you're talking about either. Perhaps you want some sort of mathematical mean, where as the distribution from the average is limited. For example the average of all skills is a 26.5 but no skill can be more than 5 levels from that. If that's the case, you might want to suggest a specific formula for that. But then I think it will be very limited to that formula and not necessarily represent the players in an usuable fashion.

First thing, all the top 50 lists are for achievers (or PK'ers, as they need to beat achievers in attack/defence to be able to kill them).

The idea here sounds interesting, and I believe the people who see a problem with it do so because they did not understand it. No, it would not be full of zeroes.

Let me try to understand it in a different way... We call this new "skill" x - it's not a skill, but seeing it as such makes it easier to understand the list.

For each player we calculate this skill as the lowest of their other skills - x=min(att,def,sum,alch,craf,harv,...). When this needs to be done I will leave to the server developers, they are the one who know how the current top 50 lists are generated.

Now, the new top 50 list would be the 50 people with the highest skill x. This will not be all zeroes, and I don't believe there will be any zeroes on the list either. There are more than 50 players who don't have any 0 skills.

I think Leeloo pointed it out very well, anyway here's some illustration. In one sentence, collect the worst skill from every single player respectively and make a list with the largest numbers and corresponding names. Imagine we had only these three players:

Klotho  Lachesis  Atropos
--------------------------------------------
Attack..........   17      27        75
Defense.........   16      26        79
Magic...........   10      20        38
Harvest.........   16      38        61
Manufacture.....   18       9         4
Alchemy.........   21      32        45
Potion..........   29      31        53
Summoning.......   13      17         9
Crafting........   22       0         5
--------------------------------------------
Lowest skill....  Magic Crafting Manufacture
"x".............   10       0         4

Then Klotho would lead the list, and I would be worst, because my lowest skill (crafting), is at level 0, Atropos' (manufacturing) is at 4, but Klotho's lowest skill (magic) is at level 10, which is higher than 0 and 4.

Thus, the "best at their lowest skill" Top 50 would honor players that have good experience in every skill. It would not force anyone to level every skill, of course, the same way the existence of a summoning top 50 doesn't force anyone to focuse on that skill only. It's just a way of also appreciating unspecialized but otherwise noteworthy experienced players.

In addition, the Top 50 in the average of their respective three best skills and the Top 50 in the average of their respective three lowest skills would be probably interesting as well, the former honoring multiple mastery and the latter honoring well distributed experience but allowing to have up to two "bad" skills.

With regards

Lachesis

Thank you Leeloo / Lachesis. If that is what he's trying to get at, I like that idea :D

:D sees the light

my appologies for being a dumb ass :D i didn't fully understand what you were getting at earlier

infact - its not a bad idea at all

:mellow: Leeloo brought it to the point, and Lachesis added a nice illustration to it. Thank you two.

In this new light, it looks quite different, and I like the idea :)

Once you all get it figured out, it sounds like a fun list to have.

Question do you want to be on it or off it??? :)

Having cape requirements and weapon requirements would encourage people to boost their skills too :)

Looking at the Top 50 lists, I don't think that they need further encouragement :)

Have a nice day

Lachesis

Once you all get it figured out, it sounds like a fun list to have.

Question do you want to be on it or off it??? :(

Well, considering that it's proposed to be a top list of who has the best lowest level (taking all your stats, finding the lowest level stat and making a list off that), I'd say you want to be on it.

Personally, I like the idea. IMO, it would give people who aren't trying to specialize one or two areas only something to shoot for (and don't we pride ourselves in this being an unclassed game?), and it gives people a reason to try something new once in awhile.

i would also like to see a REAL TOP 50 list...and see which players have the highest average of 9 skills.

This will also give ppl a kick in the ass to raise their low lvls.