Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mireille

Terri Schiavo

Should Terri Schiavo be cut off from the life-supporting machinery?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should Terri Schiavo be cut off from the life-supporting machinery?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't give a smeg.
    • Who's Terri Schiavo?

:o Wow, I agree with... EVERYONE! It's illegal I hear, so that would make me vote "YES", for breaking of laws and pro-general anarchy. And since _JenS_ says her husband is content with paying these high hospital costs, then I definately feel "NO", because it's his cost and he can spend his money however he jolly well pleases, no? And yeah, there are too many people on earth, we're gonna overcrowd it and already we save every life we can no matter how bad it has to live, despite nature's law of 'survival of the fittest'. Daxon seems to have the most informed opinion of anyone who has posted thus far. I didn't know who she was until I heard 'bout it on the news this very morning on my way to work. And I don't care about the question, because it's not a decision in my hands, and I have no place making such a decision for someone else.

:) So should I create three more accounts so I can actually vote for all 4?

i ment it like, this man paid hospitality costs for 15 years now, he practically has to work for the woman alone and all he gets is a dumb (no offence, its just like that) look back, for 15 years now. The man aint that rich, you know?

And when they remove the feeding tube, she will die because she can't eat by herself... actually, she can't do anything by herself... whats the point of life if you can't do anything? Help the woman and get her out of her misery

I think it all comes down 2 what u define as being alive tho, i have no clue about how her life is and if she can comunicate with other ppl and so on, but i voted no cos her mom and dad seemes 2 think that she has a life!

It seems you're now starting an anti-all-other-players campaign to be proud of, are you :blink:

No, otherwise it would have read "Anti-Everyone." Platyna is not everyone. I'm anti-idiot, anti-coward, and anti-murderer.

Why can't you just accept that other people think different from you? For me putting someone on a life-supporting machine is the same as torturing this person, whose natural life has definitely ended. The only reason to put someone on such a machine, is imho the lack of the relatives to face the truth of death. Much people nowadays simply can't face this truth, for reasons I can't reconstruct. It's ok, for a short period of time, i.e. after an operation, as long as someone is in deadly peril, but not for long periods of time. For me, this is a debate of principles and not bound to this certain case where I know absolutely nothing of, besides what is written here in the forum. But this is imho as well propaganda as what the newspapers tell.

My belief is that this is murder. Far as I know, she only needs food and water to live. Hell, an average man like myself could afford to pay for that if she just lived at home. This is not about me disagreeing with an apparent majority, it's about one man trying to condemn a woman to death. A nurse was interviewed at MSNBC on March the 21st describing how her nursing Terri for over a year was shadowed by the barbarism that Michael Schiavo displayed. And quite frankly? I believe that nurse above this piece of trash.

There was also another person interviewed on MSNBC, a PVS-awakened victim (name slips me -- was about a week ago) that said, "I'm proud to be alive today and for people not giving up on me." I can comfortably say he holds the same belief and will as Terri. No, he will never lead a normal life, but some of the happiest people are in the worst conditions. Think about it.

:P One thought occurs to me...  They're talking about pulling her feeding tube, and letting her die naturally of starvation.  Unless I'm mistaken, euthanasia isn't even being considered, they're just going to stop feeding her?  Someone please correct me if I am wrong...  But if that is the case, euthanising would be much more humane.  Hell, a bullet in the head would be more humane than letting her go without food for, how long did they say she could survive without it?  2 weeks?

She will probably survive a little over a week or so because the body only needs a dire amount of water if you are building up wastes in your system (go for two days eating and not drinking -- you'll see the result). Since she has no food entering her system, she is not going to build up natural wastes to expend, so she is going to spend her last few days with her stomach and liver being eaten away by bacteria that collects inside of her. Nice humane way to die, eh? Quack doctors these days.

By the way, bottom line of all this is? I'd support letting her die peacefully if she was in a severe case that involved her being on LIFE SUPPORT, but she is not on life support and she's dying a miserable death. We don't know if she's feeling all pain or not, but she has shown responses that would indicate that she suffers from the pain of starvation. Not many people can say "pain" and squeeze a finger with such strength to indicate that they don't feel it.

*EDIT* The boy in question was in a PVS for 11 years, not a coma. Sorry about that. Still looking up his name.

Edited by Daxon

I think it all comes down 2 what u define as being alive tho, i have no clue about how her life is and if she can comunicate with other ppl and so on, but i voted no cos her mom and dad seemes 2 think that she has a life!

Hmm, that's not so powerfull an argument. My mom thinks i have a life too...

yes, she lives like a plant, and her husband pays hospitality costs for 15 years now, any idea how expensive?

And she is NOT like a plant, she has feelings, emotions, everything. Just she cannot express them, the press are just bitches and likes to twist things.

Over twice as many who wants to kill her, that those who don't? What's going on here?

Hey people, we are not talking about PK here, this is a real person!!!

Over twice as many who wants to kill her, that those who don't? What's going on here?

Hey people, we are not talking about PK here, this is a real person!!!

The only time I'll ever agree with you.

Good, it's not like they are forcing him to pay the bill, he's probally doing it cause he's catholic and he wants a divorce (her parents would be happy to pay the bill I bet)

I voted no because people who make life support machines and disposable feeding tubes have to make a living too....

Besides think of the parent they will be devastated... as long as she breathes they still have a hope

He does have another wife, and 2 children. Commiting adultry in my mind atm. But it is the 20th century, who isn't commiting adultry? He just wants all the money he'll get if she dies.

The truly sad thing is that she is being used in a tug of war. How would any of you like to eat every other week for the last six months. If they are going to let her die in peace, then they should do so. If they want to let her live, then it is wrong to starve her for days, then

Without a Living Will, whatever Terri might have wanted is not legally binding. Doctors are not allowed to take life, in any event. (Abortion is a notable exception). A living will would have prevented "heroic measures", in this case artificial feeding.

It is likely she will never "wake up". She is believed to be brain dead. Her brain went without oxygen for over 10 minutes. It only takes about 4 minutes to cause permanent brain death. The cases people like to qoute where people who are fortunate to wake up after 19 years or so in a coma do not apply here. Those were the result of brain injury. Injuries heal. There is apparently no swelling, just a lack of activity.

Yes, I am a M.D.

Pax.

It is likely she will never "wake up". She is believed to be brain dead. Her brain went without oxygen for over 10 minutes. It only takes about 4 minutes to cause permanent brain death. The cases people like to qoute where people who are fortunate to wake up after 19 years or so in a coma do not apply here. Those were the result of brain injury. Injuries heal. There is apparently no swelling, just a lack of activity.

With all due respect, it was 11 years, and he was in a PVS, not a coma. (Had to correct myself; also let that slip my mind. I'm sure it'll be located somewhere on foxnews.com or msnbc.com.).

I believe we were referring to two different gentlemen. I was referring to an unfortunate young man whose condition was incorrectly compared to hers, on my local news. After 19 years (I think) of coma, resulting from a motorcycle accident, he woke up.

Calling this a PSV is correct, but this term covers a lot of ground. Every case is different. In her case, according to a CAT scan she has lost her cerebral cortex. Her brain tissue is simply not there, replaced by spinal fluid. People can and do recover from PSVs all the time. But from the facts around her case that I have heard, I would say recovery is about impossible.

Without a cerebral cortex she will not have any perception of her environment.

A simple error made during anaesthesia can trigger a Persistant Vegatative State, for example. As can a heart attack. Without oxygen your brain will die in about 4 minutes. Terri far exceeded this threshold. There is nothing medicine can do for Terri except keep her alive.

Without some kind of directive, only her husband has legal right to decide her fate. He could for example take her home to die. Courts can argue the details of this. Her family does not want to give up hope on her and I can certainly understand that. I don't have an opinion as to whether she should continue being fed or not. I don't think she is capable now of feeling discomfort. A few years ago, perhaps so, but there is a lot about the brain we still do not know.

It is possible that more of her brain will atrophy in her remaining years. Then she will require even more expensive care, just to keep her breathing and her heart beating.

Her family will likely appeal to the 11th circuit. This may go back and forth for some time. There is a legal decision to be made here, which I am unqualified to answer. But unfortunantly as far as Medicine is concerned, it's already over for her either way.

I am Catholic, Pro-Life. I just don't feel that stopping her feeding would be murder. I think she is already in with God in Heaven.

Pax.

LMao die in peace, yes letting her lay on that bed for 2 weeks starving to death not being able to move but knowing whats going on around you, feeling that pain not able to express it. Very peaceful.

LMao die in peace, yes letting her lay on that bed for 2 weeks starving to death not being able to move but knowing whats going on around you, feeling that pain not able to express it. Very peaceful.

I agree that is a horrible way to die. There are 3 competing issues here: Medical, Moral, and Legal.

Medically: She is likely unaware of her surroundings. She is also unlikely to feel pain at this point. She still should possess motor functons, and can look at people, possibly move, but without memory or cognition. If she can feel pain, then she is already in pain (and for a very long time), with or without feeding tubes. Previously, I mentioned it it is cruel to starve someone off and on. She is much worse off than having simple paralysis from what I have read and heard. Of course, I do not know her case as well as her doctors. I do not think she would last 2 weeks. She would die of dehydration, if the hospital withheld fluids, but I don't think that is what they proposed to do.

Legally: States rights vs. Federal rights. This is now in the Federal Courts, because Congress and the President intervened. Right to Life vs. ummm... right to die. She cannot be given a lethal injection to stop her heart. Doctors can legally only remove her feeding tube. Legally, a spouse can give permission to do this.

Morally: She is a human being and deserves our respect. God teaches us that the taking of our life or another's is wrong. vs. She can not survive on her own. Doctors are often forced to watched people die, while they can do nothing. Sometime despite our best efforts. This will be a tragedy no matter what.

Pax.

She must be starved but the mass murderers etc get a letah injection. Starving her is murder you can't see that another way. On that matter, you know what eskimo's used to do when people couldn't care for themselves? They fed them to the polar bears, sounds familiar doesn't it?

This is kind of offtopic, but this is where this discussion is headed anyway.

Personally, When I reach an age where I feel I have lived out my life to an extent, all I want is to leave. No, not suicide, eskimos? or some older tribe, when their elders felt they had reached the end of thier life, they went to climb a mountain (at age 65 or so), the point was not to commit suicide knowingly, just to let it happen.

(this is kind of a deep thing for me so I will stop because I really dont want people bitching about what I said.)

As far as this person goes, why do we care? We would have never seen this or know about it if the media didnt hype it up and the nation makes it self shit faced over the issue which shouldnt matter to them anyway.

Another thing, why the hell is it illegal to commit suicide?

GAH I hate america.

Anarchy rules.

i would of voted who gives a F*&% but i went with option #1. They have already pulled the tube and are not putting it back so it is only a matter of time now. It is none of our damn business and is only in the news to sell papers and further political carrers. I'm not sure who should be the one deciding the parents or the husband but i really don't think anyone else should be getting involved. I don't know who is legally allowed to decide the parents or the husband but for some reason i think it is the husband and he wants her to die so i vote #1..... :(

The parents - The ones who love her and acually give a shit about human life

Her husband - Who just wants money and wants sex

You decide

And reboot: The old farts didn't go feed themselves, their tribe members did, they throw them to the polar bears

Edited by Alsrir