Eternal Lands Official Forums
Leeloo

A Player-based representative council

Posting in a new thread to avoid my concerns getting lost between nominations, and to avoid starting a discussion that could make it hard to find the nominations :blink:

Categories:

1. Fighting

2. Harvesting & Resources

3. Magic & summoning

4. Manufacturing & Crafting

5. Potions & Alchemy

6. Community

7. Economy

It seems to me that this is not very representative. Remember Lyanna's post about four types of players? Fighters, achievers, socializers and explorers.

The fighters have 1 representative, number 1. Achievers have 4 representatives, number 2, 3, 4 and 5. Socializers may be represented by number 6, and number 7 doesn't really fit any of the four types.

So, we have achievers heavily over-represented, and explorers not represented at all. This strikes me as a bit un-balanced.

good point, maybe the players could state which category they fit in best, i think explorers will be in all of those categories, as all other types also, we just have to find them. :blink:

but the fact is...there isnt a balanced ammount of player types...there will be more of one than the other...

the list that roja posted reflects what categories need representing - and i dont see a problem with it

Edited by crannog

Well, this goes with the question of: What types of things do explorers like? What do they do?

Explore. Meaning, new maps, secret places, quests, interactive items on maps and such...

This, if this is what you are thinking, does not need to be represented. The reason being, I know we need alot more of all those things, and we do not plan on leaving them with a lack of it :blink: What is the point of a group of people telling you things you already know and are already planning to do? Making new maps...that's already in the works.

Of course anyone can still contribute with ideas here and there, we'll always accept new ideas...however this is not a group that is large enough to need a representative.

Besides, from a programming and development perspective, the 7 categories given better describe the focus points that are needed. The four types of players helps define the target audience that development can shoot for and attempt to mold the game for, but does not accurately or in a detailed manner represent the areas that the developers need to focus upon to improve the game as necessary.

One thing I worry about is that there seems to be a lot of stuff in EL that is simply accepted as being so. I'd hope that any decisions this group made would be based both upon experience and good logical arguments.

One thing I worry about is that there seems to be a lot of stuff in EL that is simply accepted as being so. I'd hope that any decisions this group made would be based both upon experience and good logical arguments.

What these representatives will do is gather ideas, suggestions, improvements needed, problems, solutions, etc., with their category in the game, and then will make 1 full detailed report, that must be organized and written clearly and concisely, and they will give that report to me so that all of the developers and other players can take a look at it

They aren't making decisions, they are making reports and suggestions hopefully based upon experience and good logical arguments. :)

Well, this goes with the question of: What types of things do explorers like? What do they do?

Explore. Meaning, new maps, secret places, quests, interactive items on maps and such...

This, if this is what you are thinking, does not need to be represented. The reason being, I know we need alot more of all those things, and we do not plan on leaving them with a lack of it :) What is the point of a group of people telling you things you already know and are already planning to do? Making new maps...that's already in the works.

You could say the same thing for the other categories.

Example: What types of things to killers like? What do they do?

Kill stuff. Meaning, new monsters, tough monsters, and PK maps.

Actually the pinned thread is supposed to be ONLY for the nominations, not for commentary about them. Discussion can go here :)

B) I would primarily be 7, maybe a bit of 6.

:D But you all knew that, right?

EDIT: Oh, and Fighters might help represent explorers. You can't explore without being a fighter, except to have mm perk. So the mm perkers are the explorers, heh. Add them as a number 8, everyone who has mm perk, lol

Edited by The_Pale_Elf

You have a good point here, Leeloo.

And about the explorers:

This, if this is what you are thinking, does not need to be represented. The reason being, I know we need alot more of all those things, and we do not plan on leaving them with a lack of it :D  What is the point of a group of people telling you things you already know and are already planning to do? Making new maps...that's already in the works.

I think, in spite of what you wrote Roja, explorers are still in the need to have a representative. Not to tell that there is a need of new maps, but for example to give ideas on what sort of maps, what kind of quests and new dungeons they like to explore.

I personally would favour a categorization into the four different type of players. This also, because many of the skills (which you have used for the categories) have some overlappings and/or dependencies on each other and can not easily be viewed alone, but only in the context of some other skills.

Well I guess if enough people want an explorer's section it's fine by me. But I just don't see the need atm...maybe after we get a lot of maps done that we want to have done, and after there are quests in teh game, yes maybe then...but it's like the people who tell me they want a spear or a dagger in the game after i told them and have posted that they will eventually come in the game. I get tired responding to that.

Got any good examples of how the explorers category would be worth it? If so, I will put it in.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE exploring, I'm a big explorer myself..i'ts not like i'm leaving that group of people out or anything, i just don't see how it is needed right now, i don't see what there is to report on.

Guest XtimmyX

Ummm i came here seeing that this would be a place to post nominations, as i would like to nominate Coco for Economy, as he probably knows more about the economy in this game than almost half the mods. He has been playign this game since almost (maybe even) the first day it was released in Beta. ALSO! plz consider me for harv and resource rep! lol.