Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Regarding the forums

A CC registration would be too restrictive. In Lineage you need a CC to play in the first place, but this is a free game, and it would be a little bit unfair for those without the posibility to pay.

I actually wasn't suggesting to use CC#s. I was just clarifying that making it where forum accounts had to be "approved" in some way greatly increases the chance to block spam/certain repeat users.

Well it sure is nice to see you've changed your mind Ent. Closing this forum would surely have been the end of the community.

--

Yes, more mods need to be recruited. Though they need to be selected carefully... Also, the registration system Piper suggested could work very nicely here.

--

Oh well. It's your choice.

Confirmed registrations would be nice except for the fact that it's a lot of work, and that's the very last thing we want to spend our time on.

Just remember that confirming registrations is about the only fail-safe way to get rid of some .. select spammers. ;)

Not even with the admin confirmation we can be sure the spammers won't get through. It's hard, if not impossible, to know who hides behind an e-mail address.

Yes your right you can never be to sure who is hiding behind an email address, but if you were to implement an authorization protocol of some sort you would limit spam to some extent. You could also disable the Guest Reply in all forums so that only people with registered accounts could reply in the forums that were replyable *think I made up a new word there*. There is no perfect solution to the spamming issue... but there are ways to minimize it. Limiting the way someone gains access to the forums and limiting the number of forums people can reply in would be a start.

-No guest posting

-admin authorized accounts

-only forums that actualy require posting to such as (Help, General Chat, Off topic, programming, Events...) Ones where user imput is actualy needed. If you do it this way then you will have less forums to monitor and maintain control over.

-Make Abuse forum Message only forums explaining why someone was banned, if someone has a specific persons actions they think should be looked into... they could email and administrator or contact a mod in game.

-Get rid of the flames forum

Just some ideas that I think could help get the Forums back on track for you... THe people who are worth having around in the forums wouldn't have a problem with any of these I think.

NeoSeS

We already don't have guest posting. Every time I checked, you have to log in or create an account to view the forums.

Hiding behind an email? When I made an invision power board, I could see the IP address of every account. Don't see how that would be a problem...

The problems are:

1. Proxies (we hope to get rid of them soon)

2. Some big ISPs have a lot of users, so you can't really tell if a new account from an ISP with problems is genuine or someone trying to avoid a ban.

Thank you Entropy for giving us the chance to not have the forums removed :D I think they are a really great way to have long discussions about things that everyone can see and put in their input on.

Ok Roja, I will try my best ;)

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13429

Wouldn't it be easier to give P l a t y n a and co. the topic they want? sunshine said she is not using

proxies, so how you are going to stop her? It seems to be pretty naive if any IP/emal address/login

can be hers? :D You are all crazy in that your "war".

Edited by jatzenty

There are somethings everyone here must understand, that apparently some people here do not:

These forums belong to Eternal Lands. They do not belong to you. They are only here as a service for you, that you can use, if you choose.

We can shut them down at any time, or do anything we like with them as long as it's legal.

You did not pay for this service. These forums are free.

We make rules on these forums, if you do not like them, you can leave. We have absolutely no obligations to anyone here, do not expect us to change just because you say so. You do, however, have the right to state a mature complaint, about a rule, or individual, etc., as long as all forum rules are followed.

If you break a forum rule/rules, expect consequences.