Eternal Lands Official Forums

Do you want a new storage GUI?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a new storage GUI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

Hey all,

I was wondering if you'd be interested in a different GUI (graphical user interface) for the storage. Personally I'd like a system where the storage opened a window similiar to the inventory window with item pictures instead of the current NPC dialogous - the different items will still be in different categories to make it easier to get an overview.

But are you interested in this at all or do you have any different ideas?

I can almost safely say for everybody that any change to the storage system, whether interface or how it is used, would be appreciated Wytter. :P

I can safely say that any system implemented would improve the possibilities and flexibility of the storage system. But this is just about the interface and not what we can do with the storage system afterwards; that's just server-side :P

I can almost safely say for everybody that any change to the storage system, whether interface or how it is used, would be appreciated Wytter. :P

The only thing I would like to be changed about storages are typing the quantity of goods you wish to deposit/withdraw instead of selecting it. But I guess it would cause too much mess in the game system, otherwise they would have already implemented it.

If the storage interface replicated the trade interface in some way, that would be outstanding. As it is at the moment, the storage interface is a pain to use: slow, annoying and inefficient.

I think you'll find it hard to find someone who doesnt want a change to the storage interface (apart from Poll spammers :P).

Well, interface wise.. I wouldn't mind a long rectangular vertical box that popped up showing all your item icons, the number you have stored, and a small box that you can type in to show how many you want to withdraw. :P

Well, interface wise.. I wouldn't mind a long rectangular vertical box that popped up showing all your item icons, the number you have stored, and a small box that you can type in to show how many you want to withdraw. :P

Yes, that would be good... I wonder what would be difficult about it.

Yes, if it listed the items with pictures (like stackable items in the inv. but for ALL items) and you could click similar to the trade window to add/remove items from storage, it would be really nice :P

Yea, I was thinking about that as well, it's now possible to do due to Grum's great work on the window manager.

How do you think a drag/drop interface would be like? Where you'd drag items from the items window to the storage window and the other way around? That way you could drop it directly on the ground as well.

You'd set the number withdrawn in the items window.

That sounds just as good, as long as you can set the amount dropped easily and quickly ,either through an input box or like the number selection in trade window; input box sounds better.

:P It would imo be a big advancement to use a window and an input field for exact amounts.

I'm all for it, as the current system is really boring and error-prone. I can think of a trade like window, with an additional dropdown list to select the category. Items within the currently selected category are then shown in the trade area of the window and you can select them either by clicking on them or by using an input field. Just a spontaneous picture I got while reading this thread.

I'd have to say I'm for any improvement to the interface of the storage. Well I can use the current one with some patience, the main thing I'd like to see is that I'd like to be able to just pull out, say, 88 of an item, rather than select 50, then go all the way back for 20, and then back to 10, and then 5, and then 2, and then at last 1. (Or, if EMU is not a problem, 100, then drop 10, then drop 2, or other combinations you can think of...)

If possible, I'd like to see a similar interface with NPC stores.

How do you think a drag/drop interface would be like? Where you'd drag items from the items window to the storage window and the other way around? That way you could drop it directly on the ground as well.

You'd set the number withdrawn in the items window.

Sounds great.

As to determining the number of items to move: I also added a text field widget, so it should be relatively easy to have the user enter a number now.

Yea, I was thinking of using a new box below the predefined values in the items window, where I'd put an input widget.

This poll makes it clear, we definitely need a better storage interface.

My idea for a storage interface is something like the bag window, with the items displayed as mini icons in the familiar 5x10 grid, with a list of categories next to it. Like in the bag window, you can withdraw something by switching to the hand cursor and clicking on the item, and you can store something the same way you would drop it except you click in the storage window instead of on the ground. It would be quite easy to use because people are used to working with bags.

The number of items to store/withdraw on each click could be specified by the number highlighted in the inventory window under "Quantity" like it is for dealing with bags. The custom withdraw number that Arnie suggested could be added to the inventory window under 1000 2000, in a box saying something like "Custom: 22" for example. To change the number, you could right click and type in a number, and to just highlight it you could left click.

A similar Custom button could be added to the trade window, so you can use it for trading. The custom button in the inventory window could be used for not only storing but also dealing with bags.

Edited by chintan

I'll begin working on this in the beginning of next week (I have vacation, so I'd like to do something different than running around in a forest ;))

Can we have an option to select 'All' too?

Or instead, make sure we keep the functionality where you can select 20000 to deposit all ;)

Thanks!

PS: Great to see you have a vacation Wytter, hope to see you next week!

Edited by avon

I don't think it needs a major overhaul, just things like:

Deposit -> All

Deposit -> Armour -> All

Withdraw -> Minerals -> Diamonds -> All I can Hold

Also the previously mentioned Typing a value for the number of an item would be handy for those situations when you want 77 iron, 33 coal and 22 fe.

Even having a spinner instead of a typing field would be good. For example, you click the box that says 100, the value of the spinner will go up by 100 at a time when you press the up arrow button with the mouse, it will go down by 100 when you press the down arrow button with the mouse. Then you can change the value box to 10 or 1, and adjust the value at a smaller rate.

hehe These words may confuse people a bit, but If I can manage it, I'll make a small picture of what I mean and add it later :)

i agree with Mireille, i like that idea or even if it would be too much for any graphics it would be nice to only have listed what you have in there and how many instead of showing all the catagories.

imho anyways

:(

As long as "deposit all" is there, and the ability to deposit/withdraw specific number amounts is there, I would be happy with anything :(

Due to some problems with the way players were saved, I do not expect to have this done this week. I had to make some major changes to the way players were saved and loaded, in order to remove any future problems (ok, I didn't HAVE to, but it was the best way of solving the problem).

I will do some of the work, hopefully I am still able to do all of it :o

UO has it set up so that you walk to within a certain range of a banker char, (at a bank), and say the word "bank", and your bank box opens up. It's a graphical screen where you can place pretty much unlimited items, up to 60k or 65k in any pile. Which works pretty well, given that you can hold max 125 seperate items in your pack. The items all fit into the bank box screen and might even overlap one another. Keeping your bank box clean is your own responsibility.

I'll post a few pics of the concept once I get home...

http://wytter.tfm.ro/elc/pics/new_storage_interface.jpg

It works through drag and drop. Drag an item from your inventory to the storage window, and you will deposite n of that item (n is specified through the quantity set in the inventory window). Drag an item from the bank window to your inventory and it will withdraw n of that item (n is specified through the quantity set in the inventory window - if you don't have enough room it will tkae as many items as possible).