Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

New rule about bagsitting/mules

New Rule guys:

21. Player characters that are made to be "mules" and/or bots existing for the sole purpose of cheating by trading with your main character, bagsitting, etc., are not allowed. If found they will be locked and you will be punished. Trading from the same IP with different people, such as family members or friends on the same network as you is allowed however.

Rules on Bagsitting

1. You may NOT use secondary characters to "bagsit" your deathbags. Characters used for bagsitting will get locked.

2. The creation of characters for this purpose is illegal and can and most likely WILL be punished!

3. It does not make any difference whether the second character is a bot or played manually.

4. If you have and use such a character now, please do delete it by typing #killme yes on it.

5. This leaves the rules about trading and helping from the same IP untouched, you may still help the ones living with you and/or sharing the same IP-adress.

Can i make a Guild character called "HardCore" and give password to my guild? so if i die i tell some1 else to log in and save my bag (cuz its difrent Ip) can i do this?

O.o what about my Roleplay Chars? where do they fit in

Can i make a Guild character called "HardCore" and give password to my guild? so if i die i tell some1 else to log in and save my bag (cuz its difrent Ip) can i do this?

No, just ask one of your guild mates themselves to get you your stuff.

O.o what about my Roleplay Chars? where do they fit in

I have no idea, try being more specific?

well i roleplay chars for quests on EL and the last two i have had to get them up and earn cash so they could look just right >.> i was happy about the last announcement about this because iw ouldnt have to earn all the cash for the items, i could just loan them from Aitrus and take em back later ^_^

well i roleplay chars for quests on EL and the last two i have had to get them up and earn cash so they could look just right >.> i was happy about the last announcement about this because iw ouldnt have to earn all the cash for the items, i could just loan them from Aitrus and take em back later ^_^

In this case it is fine.

:P So, if I'm running a guild project, and there are several of us mining, and the guild storage character is hauling the mined ore, coal, etc back to the storage for guild use, is it now okay for me to have the storage character haul the guildmates' ore but not my own? I'm obviously not doing it for personal gain, since it goes toward the guild, (Crannog already 'warned' me for doing that, despite my attempts at explaining what was going on).

:P Furthermore, this seems to be bent on cutting out storage/mule characters altogether? Our guild holds its gatherings in one local place, on an account that can dispense resources to members looking to train their skills. We obviously cannot afford to have this character locked, etc, as it would hamper guild operation. But if we're mining resources, can we now expect a rule-happy mod to screw up our guild now, simply because I happen to be helping mine and run resources? I truly am worried about this rule...

Easy solution:

Be present with the other character, not your own. No reason to have both online if that is all you are doing.

Maybe if it were easier to gain pick points people wouldn't need things like "mule characters." Once you hit a certain level, gaining points becomes painfully slow and most people don't want to bother struggling to gain them on one character. I'm not saying you should give points out like candy, but maybe make it so you gain 2 pick points at a time instead of one? Just a thought.

Maybe if it were easier to gain pick points people wouldn't need things like "mule characters." Once you hit a certain level, gaining points becomes painfully slow and most people don't want to bother struggling to gain them on one character. I'm not saying you should give points out like candy, but maybe make it so you gain 2 pick points at a time instead of one? Just a thought.

And then what? Everyone would level twice as fast, and there would be no advantage to it.

Like I said, just a thought. The new rule is going to make things suck for a lot of people.

Not really a new rule, just a previous rule more clearly defined to eliminate all ambiguity.

Like I said, just a thought. The new rule is going to make things suck for a lot of people.

It will suck for people who cheat, no one else. So, if you're cheating, then please go find another game to cheat in.

First of all Roja, I don't cheat. Second of all, I was talking about The_Pale_Elf who is using a guild bot to help people in our guild gain levels, etc. It seems like this would heavily affect our guild projects. I apologize for not clarifying this earlier.

Edited by Esper_Darkwater

I think the issue here is, instead of making rules to give mods more reasons to use their powers to lock, kick, ban, PKable, etc players, we need to start having proactive solutions to these problems you're having. This rule as it is worded is terrible (imo) and should be repealed in favor of coding to make this 'cheating' less alluring.

For example, why do people "cheat"? (Btw, it's not cheating if anyone can do it, it's just against a new rule, so it's been dubbed cheating. I disagree with the concept as defined.) People use mules to haul because:

1. Walking takes so long, you could be mining instead of walking miles from ore to DP storage, for instance.

2. Carrying capacity is so high on a character who doesn't need to spend points on nexus and can have tons of negative perks.

To fix #1, enable running, sprinting, jogging, SOMETHING! Or make storages reasonably distanced from ore spawns. Or both. #2 should be helped if/when nexus system is altered to not longer require pickpoints. Another help would be limiting neg perk usage, and/or redoing the entire perk system.

The point here is that it's not going to help the game to pass rules that give the mods more reason to abuse players they suspect of "cheating". STOP making rules to try and keep people in line, and START making game mechanics that naturally enforce the rules. Why do we need a command to tell us what gods we're serving, and not coding to make cheating less desirable by those who will cheat.

I sincerely hope you're not insinuating that I'm cheating. But this rule is going to screw over a guild function that my guild is not alone in using. This rule is not the answer, it's just more red tape to cause more mods to bother legitimate (non-"cheating") players.

And you are playing Eternal Lands why?

I mean, if your solutions are so easy to implement, I'm guessing that all other games you've played have them. And thus, you know of better games to play. And yet you come here?

I would love to say, "Roja, I know a way to make this game perfect..." But I can't. People are always suggesting that we just "fix things". It's not that easy. Every change has effects on other parts of the game play.

The game developers do try and fix things. However, until a balance can be found, there has to be people (i.e. mods) around to make sure the spirit of the game is not taken advantage by some of the players.

If you're in a guild, then have one PLAYER do the running. You do not need a bot, or a person using 2 characters (one mining the other running). The point of having a guild is to work together. So have one of you do the running.

It has already been said countless times that it is impossible to move any faster in the game. If you have further problems with this you can talk to the programmers to get specific reasons.

Moveing the storages closer? That's not a good solution, it will be too easy to load up on resources that way.

The_Pale_Elf.. I gained every single one of my levels alone without or with help (not much to look at, but still). However, that help did not include using some form of way to help get the leveling done for me. I'm quite positive you could level just as well if you gave it a chance.

true daxon i've never used a mule character yea my sis and tezza use my pc and it sucks that i can't help them in el but i have managed to raise my lvl's fairly well and i reckon they could aswell

I'm not talking about levelling my character... If you check my stats, I'm not very levelled at all. I've been busy with working on the economy and the bot. I built up 18 manufacturing on my own in one day, and haven't really used it since. I worked up potions mostly on my own, (guildmaster did give me some bone powders, which I thank her for). I'm not looking for personal gain in a guild. I'm trying to help other players...

As for having a PLAYER do the running, we do not give out the password to the guild storage character for obvious reasons..

And to Kit, why do you attack a player for making suggestions and making requests of the administration, when they post a rule into being without a vote from the public, (especially one where the public was asked to vote on a similar issue and they went for supposed "cheating", despite the biased labelling).

And you are playing Eternal Lands why?

Absolutely uncalled for. I'm sorry that you feel the need to phrase your concerns with my comments in this manner.

I agree with The_pale_elf

sprinting/jogging is over due but i relize that implemeting this could be very difficult, but on the flips side sitting down now and really working on the problem would be great because our current continate is big and the next one could be bigger I dont look forward to walking around all of them, but being able to run would be quite nice (BTW like the pics for the new continate it looks really uber)

Curious... I was under the impression store bots were paid for and had to remain stationary... I mean having a *does math* 10080 load seems like an awefully big advantadge over players who have a hard enough time hauling their mere 200 load worth of whatever ore back to the storage...back and forth, 50 times, to match one haul of your bot. Granted you did pay for the extra space, and you are controlling the character, but if you are truely trying to balance the economy, hauling around 2500 iron ores a trip doesn't seem to be the logical way to go about it sir... (IMHO)

While I will acquise that I have used a secondary character to sit a death bag, I will say that I can live without it... and will...

I will, at the same time agree with you that this rule is horribly worded... for example... in the RULES on Bagsitting subtitled section, it notes that only sitting death bags for another account and/or trading between the two characters are illegal, and characters made for such a purpose are to be deleted... It at no time mentions using a store bot to haul ores for a guild... Or using a "Mule" to haul ores back to storage while you continue to mine...

Perhaps by *clearly* defining this old rule, all they've actually accomplished is making the waters a bit more murky...

2 Cents.

E.S.

Edited by Swiss

The maximum storage capacity is another issue. Currently, the maximum storage capacity is 100 items, which isn't very much, escpecially for unspecialized people who do everything. Because of this, some people have storage chars to allow them to store more. They don't use them to gain levels or experience or to advance faster in any way, they just need a place to keep their stuff.

What is the point of having a maximum storage capacity anyway? Server space shouldn't be an issue, because even with 1000 chars each holding 1000 items each, that's only 1 mil numbers or a few MB of data, which is smaller than my email inbox. And I can't really think of a way that storing over 100 items gives anyone an unfair advantage. It might even help the economy because people don't have to worry about their storage filling up, causing them to sell their items asap at really low prices.