Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kdpadua

translating the game

There is a fairly big portuguese-speaking community in EL, and most of them speak english poorly. I am interested in translating not only the in-game lines, but also the quest texts and NPC messages, because that would help them a lot and keep some of them of abandoning the game. Is there any possible way to do that? I was told that these texts are only serverside, and that it was only possible to translate whats in the .xml files. It seems to me that to this translation of the NPC messages would be usefull only if a change on the server is made to support several languages.

Or just make a website for them, like have a translation for all of the quest and what the NPCs say Like

Quest: Save the Dr pepper.

Mr Pib has stolen dr pepper. FInd him

Then have it in port under that

why not a language prefrence option the server requests for this and the client sends the language prefrence at login and npcs use the language chosen by the player?

Of course to implament this you would have to do a bit of coding and have people do translations

this is why the idea of a set of messages being stored client side and only their codes being sent to the client would be a better idea. It would meen that the server could send a message code and the client could choose what language to display it in.

Message codes seems like a good idea, but I don't see a reason why translation can't be done right now completely client-side. You can use a database or something to store all the messages in english and their translation in other languanges. When a message is to be displayed, do a search in the database, find the english message and print its translation instead. I don't think it would slow down things much.

Message codes seems like a good idea, but I don't see a reason why translation can't be done right now completely client-side. You can use a database or something to store all the messages in english and their translation in other languanges. When a message is to be displayed, do a search in the database, find the english message and print its translation instead. I don't think it would slow down things much.

Aside from the fact we'd need a client update to change dialogs...And, I don't think solexine.fr would want a french translation run by el.com.