Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mori Ranmaru

C or C++ HELP!

Ok, I know absolutly nothing on the C/C++ Programming Languange, except that it is used to program, and it is very confusing :P . I would like some help (i.e. Websites, Tutorials, ect.) on how to get started on learning C.

TYVM ALL!!!!!!

-Mori

Well, I have *no* experience whatsoever with C or C++, but I can honestly say that Java is a very good starter language. Very easy to learn, especially when you know a programmer in real life to debug your code and point out what's wrong with it when it won't compile.

Also, Emagination Computer Camps offer courses in programming and are very enjoyable. I went for 2 weeks last year, and I'm going again this year for 4. But anyway...try google. :blink:

Well, I have *no* experience whatsoever with C or C++, but I can honestly say that Java is a very good starter language. Very easy to learn, especially when you know a programmer in real life to debug your code and point out what's wrong with it when it won't compile.

Also, Emagination Computer Camps offer courses in programming and are very enjoyable. I went for 2 weeks last year, and I'm going again this year for 4. But anyway...try google. :blink:

Java syntax is basically a superset of C.

BTW, tried searching for documentation? I'll find some then.

Here: The definitive...erm, definition... of the C Language. :P

http://freebooks.by.ru/view/CProgrammingLanguage/kandr.html

Edited by crusadingknight

well now i take courses on c and c++ but there is c and c++ for dummies books and they are fairly helpful and come with a CD.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12248 Here's my post on C++, from what I've learned it's better to start with C++, becasue in the process you'll learn C anyway and then you will better understand the diffrences. I got the C++ for dummies book and it is a wonderful guide to learn from. I also would recomend the site that I posted in my original post linked above, the two of them should help you learn quite easily and quickly, provided your willing to put a little effort into it of course.

I wish you the best of LUCK and best wishes.

NeoSeS

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12248 Here's my post on C++, from what I've learned it's better to start with C++, becasue in the process you'll learn C anyway and then you will better understand the diffrences.

The point is not that that you'll learn C anyway, but that C++ compilers accept C code, so if you start with C you will never learn C++ for real.

Why use std::string when you are used to char *? And why use vector<int> when you are used to malloc(BUFSIZE*sizeof(int))? The C++ ones are easier to use, but if you already know C, the other ones are familiar, you know exactly how they work.

And then there is pointers. An important part of programming, but not something for beginners. In C, you can't to much without pointers, with a good C++ book, pointers should be reserved for the last two chapters. Even Java isn't this newbie friendly, because although Sun claims they got rid of pointers, they really just renamed them to references - which can be confusing to a C++ programmer, because C++ has something different called references - and you can't do much in Java either without pointers references.

The point is not that that you'll learn C anyway, but that C++ compilers accept C code, so if you start with C you will never learn C++ for real.

you mean all those poor coders that learned C before c++ existed will never be able to put up with time?

:) i "learned" both, (depends of what one call learning, im able to program in both and to evolve on my own when i get a new library/api :)) first C, (ok gcc has some levels of leniency) then C++

I do not even see why it should be difficultfor someone to learn both (except the learning how to think in sequencial form and oo form, which are common problems on people learning 80% of other languages :))

i mean, if one passes from C to python (or ruby , or perl ,or cobol....) , he has to give up on all the habits of his you said anyway :) its all a matter of dicipline. is not because you CAN do something that you SHOULD do it :)

then again I did start it by learning algo, and learning to do my programs first on paper .... so... i give you that :)

Edited by immerentis

Umm...just thought I would mention that I have heard nothing good about the C for dummies book (and C++).

I woudlent get them.

Also you may want to check out http://www.cprogramming.com/ because that is where i'm learning. C++ books can sometimes be a little outdated in terms of what you should be using (synax and most functions are still the same, but some little habits you can get are anoying.)

Oh yeah, don't borrow precaluclus/calculus C++ books :-P THEY BAD...especialy if you don't know what your doing...they were fine for me it's jsut that they were teaching some old unsupported things.

I still can recommend Stroustrup's standard C++ book (The C++ Programming Language), even it is quite theoretical (it covers the complete syntax and semantics of c++) it also has lots of examples useful for learning.

I too can't recommend any of the dummy book series. From my experience they tend to confuse more, than they help in learning.

you mean all those poor coders that learned C before c++ existed will never be able to put up with time?

I had a C++ teacher who mixed the two languages. Classes, char *, iostream for screen output, stdio for files. The result: I never liked C++, I ended up teaching myself C just to get away from that.

Another thing I've found out, (at least among the people I know) people who love Java and hate C++ have learned the same terrible mix of C and C++. When I had an argument with a friend who loves Java, I ended up showing her a C++ program written with std::* and everything, and she thought it looked like a Java program.

The GNU Compiler Collection (gcc: http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc) is one of the most commonly used free compilers. It has frontends for several different languages (C/C++, Fortran, Java and optionally others) and backends for nearly any hardware platform currently available.

Edited by Malaclypse

Since you're new, and I assume you have windows (or should have gcc installed already if you're on Linux :P ) I'd just download Blood Shed Dev-C++.

http://www.bloodshed.net

If you're quite familiar with the command line, you can also download gcc for windows, from the MinGW32 project. Dev-C++ comes with this anyway. (Well, the old version 3.2 anyway... current is 3.4)

http://MinGW.sourceforge.net

Borland also has a free set of command line tools, but they'd be better if they stuck with delphi. :D

Edited by crusadingknight