Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angelodante

The Fall of Tirnym

The Fall of Tirnym

Once, long ago, there was a land called Tirnym. It was ruled by the merciful goddess Aluwen, and was surrounded by treacherous mountains. Elves came from all around the world to reside there. It was a great center of learning, magic, and the arts. It became famous and prospered beyond one's wildest dreams. But its fate could not be avoided even by the gods. What follows is a tale of deception and corruption…

Prologue

Once, there existed a scanty house on a lake. It was nothing too grand or lofty, but it was decent. In it lived a young man who lived alone and worked as a researcher. His name was Leonardo, but he went by Leo. And on this night, his life would be changed forever.

The thunder crackled and boomed. Leonardo was out on the porch, reading a book about gold mining, when he heard a voice.

“Hello.â€

Leonardo stopped. He looked up, and saw a tall elven girl with long silver hair. She wore a purple blouse, a long black skirt and tall black boots.

“Hi there. What business do you have here on this dark evening?†Leo stood up and walked over to the girl.

“Perhaps I should introduce myself. My name is Celeste, and I am an adventurer, traversing this area. The storm took me by surprise, and I was searching for shelter.â€

“My name is Leonardo. Here, why don’t you step in where we can withdraw from this weather. Come.â€

Celeste followed Leonardo through the door, and they sat down in the den, where the fire was still lit.

“I’m sorry, it’s rather quaint, but it is better than being out in the rain.â€

Celeste smiled, and it was a beautiful smile. In those days, it was rare for such perfect teeth. After they were noticed, Leo studied her better in the new light and discovered her whole face seemed perfect. She was beautiful in every way...

“No, it is quite alright. I am grateful for what I have. Tell me, Leonardo, what is your occupation?â€

“I am a researcher, and by the way, you can call me Leo.â€

Celeste looked at him, and raised an eyebrow. “A researcher you say? How wonderful.â€

Their eyes met, and outside the thunder flashed. They talked throughout the night, and soon they both fell asleep.

Leo awoke in the morning, and the bright sun shone in through the windows. The fire was out, but Celeste was not seen. He noticed the smell of cooked meat, and came into the kitchen to find that she had cooked some rabbit meat. She turned to him, and gestured towards the table. There was a plate with meat and some vegetables.

“It’s not much, but I hope you like it. It’s the least I can do, really.â€

Leonardo sat down at the table, and grinned. He was starving, and couldn’t wait to eat. It slipped his mind that this woman had only just walked in last night, but he couldn’t resist good food.

“So, I was wondering…could you show me where your library is?â€

Leo was pleasantly surprised that she was interested in knowledge as well.

“Actually, I don’t have a library. I keep all my books in the cellar. Here, I’ll show you.â€

They went outside behind the house and Leonardo dug around in the dirt and found the secret cellar entrance. He pulled up the hatch, and they climbed down the ladder to reveal an enormous collection of books.

"Very good, my love. It is unfortunate that this must be done, but I will do what it takes."

Celeste chanted a few words, and a great fog filled the room. When it cleared, Leonardo was nowhere to be seen.

"This is only the beginning."

Edited by Angelodante

Now, I realize it is very short, but its purpose was to introduce Celeste. And I am hoping to add more detail, but still. The idea of the story is..well, you'll find out :P

Edited by Angelodante

Angelodante it's amazing how some minds think alike! I am just beginning a series of stories about the vermor family. In the first story i was planning the demise of tirnym. Unfortunately it looks like you've beaten me to the punch! :lol: Which is no big thing since i can write around that, perhaps even interweave a bit. I have a few questions...perhaps you could PM the answers to me. You'll find them below.

What time period is this happening?

Can you give me an outline as to what happens so i can see about working it in?

Can you give me any other general info about the story? (anything random you may want to add, from when you'll be finished to a list of characters, if you like.)

Thanks!

I hope to have my next post by tomorrow, I'm just trying to decide if I should write it in third-person still or put it in the perspective of someone else..

But I'm (hopefully) not in any hurry.

Edited by Angelodante

This is very good and I'll add it to the list tonight :D Either perspective will work fine, I think, just be very careful to be consistent in whichever approach you choose. Keep up the good work though! I'll be checking back, if you have any questions or want to bounce some ideas around post them here. I won't so any serious editing or suggest revisions until the piece is finished, but I'd be glad to be a sounding board for you.

Chariste