Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
foncEmerlin

A Question for Roja

Roja,

There is a char named darkhawk that for at least two monthes has not logged on can you check to see if it is an active char if not is there a way to get that char wiped or to change my characters name to DARKHAWK?

Actually we will be implementing a system soon that will wipe characters if they have not be in use for 6 months(the player has not logged in), or perhaps even less in certain circumstances.

Unfortunetly I can't delete that character right now, but maybe in the future it will become available :)

how do you know how long its been since darkhawk's been inactive? ;)

there will be a command mods can use like #delete_char? sweet :lol:

and fonc, if you want your char's name changed (once darkhawk becomes available) i think you have to pay ent 5 USD to get your char's name changed, the other option is to just make a new char

You still didn't answer henrys question.

how do you know how long its been since darkhawk's been inactive? :wub:
I'm too very interested in how you are able to get this info. :P

Actually we will be implementing a system soon that will wipe characters if they have not be in use for 6 months(the player has not logged in), or perhaps even less in certain circumstances.

Unfortunetly I can't delete that character right now, but maybe in the future it will become available :P

um roja whenever this takes effect would it be possible for my charname and character data to be like permanently stored? i say this because im pretty sure that if i live to be 80 something ill still play el...

If I may say two things:

One: Would we be able to get an extension on the six months policy. (Like by sending a pm to ent or roja telling them of the circumstances.

Two: I think the ability to deleate inactive charicters should be limited to Ent and Roja, instead of being a mod power. (probobly already will be, but I might as well say it anyway.)

If I may say two things:

One: Would we be able to get an extension on the six months policy. (Like by sending a pm to ent or roja telling them of the circumstances.

Two: I think the ability to deleate inactive charicters should be limited to Ent and Roja, instead of being a mod power. (probobly already will be, but I might as well say it anyway.)

The system Roja is talking about is the ability of chars. automatically/manually being deleted due to inactivity. Im sure there wont be a problem with sending a PM to a mod, so that they can keep their char. :)

Regarding the mod command: Its already available to an in-game 'God' I believe. I doubt Mods will ever have this ability. Only administrators and Gods will have the power, so I wouldnt worry about NH's or higher level mods being able to.

Have a bit more faith in the developers :)

I think it's an educated guess. Still, Rolan4 has a database for 'Last seen online'

An educated guess, about how long someone didn't play? It's a bit strange, don't you think so?

May I ask what data is being stored in this DB?

I think it's an educated guess. Still, Rolan4 has a database for 'Last seen online'

An educated guess, about how long someone didn't play? It's a bit strange, don't you think so?

Not strange at all.

One gets to see the same people, know who is going to be where at certain times...depending on what you like to do in the game or what profession you chose. Some people like to do alch or manu at storage all the time, some harvesters always go to the same spot on the hour every hour...

It most definitely gets noticed and commented upon when people don't show up anymore.

Malaclypse, what are you getting at? The information stored is only related to your character.

Well Placid, I'm a bit paranoid :) He could for example store IP addresses, with which I could not agree. It's no general problem with someone maintaining such a DB, but as I am involved in it (data related to me get's stored) I would be happy to know who stores what about me.

Where would he get the IP adresses?

Connections per user?

Mala, dont get me wrong, I didnt mean any harm. All I was thinking is that you meant information held as per Data Protection Act. I was, technically wrong :D

I dont know what data the server keeps (I assume its just character info., why would they need anything else per character?).

Guys, all you would have to do is log in sometime during those 6 months, and your character would be kept for another 6 months after your last log in....

Guys, all you would have to do is log in sometime during those 6 months, and your character would be kept for another 6 months after your last log in....

Sounds very fair to me, ty Roja for expalining this.

Where would he get the IP adresses?

Connections per user?

We're talking about Rolan4, right? I assume this is a bot, without any way of extract information from the EL server.

For the EL server itself, finding out when someone last logged in is as easy as checking the modified date of that users datafile (one file per user).

sorry took so long to clear this up but I work odd hours and I see most of you often :unsure:

But whoever has the Darkhawk Name has not been seen ever by me therefore I am guessing they do not play anymore :D

Anyway if you want to know why it is important to me go here it is my old website it will explain alot

www.angelfire.com/al3/darkhawkslair

Edited by foncEmerlin

If I may say two things:

140466[/snapback]

I don't think this has been answered properly - well if it has I missed it. Supposing you were gonna be away from your computer for more than 6 months, yes it could happen!

You're very rich and are going on an 8 month cruise around the world OR

You're very ill and end up in hospital for over 6 months OR

You're very naughty and end up in prison for a long stretch

So then what do you do?

I don't think this has been answered properly - well if it has I missed it.  Supposing you were gonna be away from your computer for more than 6 months, yes it could happen!

You're very rich and are going on an 8 month cruise around the world  OR

You're very ill and end up in hospital for over 6 months  OR

You're very naughty and end up in prison for a long stretch

So then what do you do?

154715[/snapback]

option 1: You probably still have internet if you are that rich

option 2: i know someone who was in the hospital for an extended period of time and he had a laptop and played from there...(assuming you are well enough to look at a computer, if not you have bigger problems than worrying about your EL char)

option 3: you have bigger problems you should be worrying about other than your EL char.

or say on an 8 month deployment to some desolate area with more sand lines than phone lines (much less cable :()  *sigh*

~E.S.

155451[/snapback]

Good point, considering I'll be going back on Active come October. :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this