Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scafativ

Create note

Implementation details purposely left out so that the developers can figure out what's easiest-

I think that it would be nice to be able to create short, written notes on pieces of paper (that could presumably be purchased.) The notes could be left in bags (for contests, for instance: "Congratulations- you found Lord Vermor's bag of magic rings", could help identify death bags "You have found scafativ's death bag- reward if returned!", and could be passed between characters "Will you marry me?".

This would be nice after the other 32465 planned features are implemented, tested and deployed. :)

scafativ

It would be neat, until somebody writes "smeg u #$@!# %$!#%$ %$!%$!% $%^!%$%$#" you get the pic ;)

easily abusable.

It would be neat, until somebody writes "smeg u #$@!# %$!#%$ %$!%$!% $%^!%$%$#"  you get the pic ;)

easily abusable.

i hope that doesnt shoot this idea down, i mean, everything's abusable one way or another, i like the idea of writing notes, it'd be fun :lol:

i would also like the idea of contest bags to have notes in them, as i sometimes think L_V just made me go on a wild goose hunt for a bag of bones :PB)

Edited by Herny

sounds like a good idea. one way to make it less abuseable would be a signature at the bottom that would not be edited/changed and would be added at the bottom of the note when created.

so when somebody makes a note that says %&$*% U it could be truned into a mod and the mod could deal with it

I like the idea too, maybe one could also share maps for new territorys.

You could for example sell the map of CC for 1000gc, if you "use" it you'll have a nice minimap

.. idea to be expanded, just a suggestion :P

Hm that's a good idea specter, the name of the person who wrote the note would be left....duh... :wub:

And perhaps limit it to one note per X hours in game. So you can't spam them.

Well, it could be available for mods only - they're the ones dealing with events anyway. I like the idea :wub:

Well, the signature certainly solves the smegger issue-

I do think that there exists purposes beyond contests though, everything from love notes to death bag identification (what a french span-of-purpose).

To make the death-bag id more likely- perhaps notes would have a 100% chance to make it into a death bag.

scafativ

I wonder why this idea was never really considered?

IMO, it could be really, really useful and opens a lot of possibilities!

I'll add some more suggestions though...

Now we have a notebook in the client that is working really nice (at least in the CVS version) so it can be used to produce notes. Here's my idea. You write a note in your notepad then with a button (that have to be added), you can write down the text on a piece of paper. Of course, this should not be free to avoid spamming and abuse, this will require for example a paper, some ink and a feather (now we have them, why not using them for that :happy:). Ink and paper could be bought at a gen store for some gc, maybe 5 or 10gc and can be storable.

Then when you want to read a note, it adds it to your own note book but will not destroy it. If confidential information is written on it and you want to destroy it, you'll have to let if poof in a bag or use it on a camp fire. :)

Of course, as it will be unique items, they should not be storable IMO.

Now, what could be the use of it?

- you can for example always carry a note that have a chance to be dropped when you die (like it has been proposed earlier here)

- you can leave notes in bag when you voluntary leave a bag on the floor for a short time

- it can be useful for story makers and it can maybe be the beginning of an EL newspaper :rolleyes: which will also be the beginning of public claimers to sell the newspaper... :)

- manuers/alchers/crafters/poitioners... can do some publicity if they want by writing their prices on notes and then distribute them

- and last but not least, it could be very useful for contests and treasures hunting! :fire:

Well, it's a just a few ideas that I had about this but I'm sure that there are a lot more of them to come... :icon13:

Something similar to this is discussed in the "Interacting with the Map" thread.

In that case, players would be able to leave notes on those pieces of paper littering the world. So take an ink & quill (item), "use with" the paper, and your next local chat is recorded (overwriting whatever is on that paper). Naturally, this is signed in the same way as local chat. "look at" or "use" the paper to read it.

It you are concerned about increased bandwidth of people reading and writing in the game; then this additional data can be held on a separate server [1], and the game server returns the variable part of the URL to recover the text. Written messages would still have to go via the game server though.

[1] This can also hold contents for books and newspapers in the same way, though players wouldn't be able to freely write to these.

Edited by trollson

Yes but in the "interact with the map" thread, the idea is to use items that are part of the map.

The idea here is to make items that can be traded and put everywhere.

IMO, the two suggestions aim different goals and both of them are good. :rolleyes:

A short piece of text could be saved with a bag as part of its record, create when the bag exists, and lost when the bag ceases to exist.

But you can't have a piece of paper with a note written on it, which could be passed around. That returns to the ol'bugbear that items cannot have unique information attached to them.

But you can't have a piece of paper with a note written on it, which could be passed around. That returns to the ol'bugbear that items cannot have unique information attached to them.
AFAIK, this is just linked to how the storage works so as far as the items are not stored, there shouldn't be any problem. But maybe I miss something and this is not possible at all so in this case I agree and we have to forget about it...

for the death bag idea instead of it being a note in the bag could u not say get a thread the paper and ink and like tie it to the top of the bag sealing it and write a note on it like a lable? but that u can choose the beak the thread just with a click obviously just an idea?...

Edited by johny732601

Sorry to resurface an old thread...but I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. I can't tell you how many times I've wished this was possible and daydreamed about all the cool things you could do with it...writing letters would be GREAT, making treasure hunts with real clues in hyperbags would be cool, handing out little newspaper type leaflets or dropping them all over a map as advertisements, the possibilities go on and on.

I know that the game devs have tons of things to work on. But I seriously think this should be made a priority. It is so worth it. Of course, I'm not sure what the technical costs are...

I'm not sure about the signature thing, then you can't write anonymous notes :D But maybe, each note could have an "ID" or something, a number you can tell a mod so they can lookup the author. Of course, that means all notes must be cached in a database, which is no good...perhaps notes expire after 2 weeks, and are removed from the database. The ink "wears off" the paper or something. But then, it wouldn't be possible to leave a note for someone to find in a few years :)

Ok, either way. I think it's a great idea and should be seriously considered. I'd love to see it in game.

Better you resurrecting an old, actually considered idea then to make a new thread and being told to use search. Anyways, this idea was cool then and still is. I don't remember anyone officially saying no to this, so I hope this can be considered again :)

I really like this idea too.

-- But I'm not so into the idea of littering the game up with anonymous notes that would lie around for years or even weeks. I think they should be temporary and should auto-poof after a few days if they are not deleted/destroyed.

-- The author of the note should be auto-ID'd when you 'use' the note to read it, like in chat. <playername>: message

-- Having a button in notepad to transfer selected notepad contents to paper so other players can read it (without you having to type it over again in chat) would be a great tool - for contests, mentoring guildies/newbies (sharing our endless wisdom), organizing project/hunting parties, etc.

-- Paper, pens (feather quills), and ink (ink wells) already exist in the game environment, and I would really like them to have a use (like a lot of other cool details lying around too). General stores could sell the items cheaply, but not too cheaply. IRL, writing and printing are expensive because ink and paper are expensive.

-- I've been wanting a 'kiosk' type thing where players could post public notes. Gossip just sends private messages and random rumors; chat gets spammed up something fierce and only exists for a short time. A place to post public notes that have a few days lifespan I think would be a good addition. If 2 - 4 major traffic areas had walls/kiosks/boards, you could pay a fee to an NPC to have your note (which you already created) posted, and it will stay there until it either poofs or is overwritten (each kiosk should have a max capacity, overwriting oldest with newest). Then, when players 'use' the kiosk, they'll be able to read all the current notes.

You could use this for ads, announcing guild feuds, announcing upcoming events, posting "news" reports about events/invasions that just happened, putting a bounty on your enemy's head, offering a reward for a returned DB, giving someone credit for something good, etc.

Already, there is a newspaper office in Idaloran, where a kiosk NPC could be stationed. The "kiosk" could be a wall near the main city gate, maybe. I think WSC and/or PL would also be good spots for kiosks. The PL mayor or Lord Luxin could be the kiosk NPCs. Alternatively, some taverns could have bulletin boards. There's already one in Trassian. A "post a note" option could be added to the tavernkeeper NPCs.

-- Note: Public notes should be local, like books. If you want your announcement all over Draia, you have to pay all those fees to the different NPCs.

You could use this for ads, announcing guild feuds, announcing upcoming events, posting "news" reports about events/invasions that just happened, putting a bounty on your enemy's head, offering a reward for a returned DB, giving someone credit for something good, etc.

Or... you know... people could read the forums :D

Or... you know... people could read the forums :D

Yes, true, but sometimes it's not convenient (read: it's a pain in the ass) to look away from the game to read the forums. Sometimes, you just want to be in the game.

This is idea is a bit wacko ... what's the point?

Christo

What's the point of anything we do in the game?

The notes idea is not vital to gameplay, but it might be a useful tool to add someday, when the devs have nothing better to do. But there's no more "point" to it than any other minor convenience of the game. Why does it need to have a point?

Edited by peino

I never noticed this before but I am glad it was revived. Great idea! Leaving notes for people to find during events to give clues to go to the next location etc would be especially useful. Helps in treasure hunts and all that.

Leaving notes for people wouldn't have much of a point as you can use gossip, however if you leave a note somewhere to give people hints on where to find things or meet a certain person, etc it could be incredibly useful and increase the array of events that could be put on.