Eternal Lands Official Forums
Scrambbller

Bandwidth usage

Does Eternal Lands use up a lot of badwidth,because there are some games like entropia which doesnot use much bandwidth,i so i wanted to know wether EL uses a lot of bandwidth or not

Another Question

What are the chances of getting an Enriched fire essence while making FE's

Edited by Scrambbller

There are a lot of players which play EL with 56K modems and it seems that they are happy with it.

To my *rough* calculation, EL takes about 1 MB data to transfer every hour, but thats only my personal impression.

Piper

According to http://eternal-lands.solexine.fr/ el uses about 400kb/sec for the server.

If you say there are 300ppl online average, that'd be less than 1k/sec.

Looking at my local bandwidth usage i can confirm this, usually the network load is way lower (of course, when moving next to a crowded storage char the load might peak).

The hightest bandwidth I have ever seen was about 10kb when there was a party in IP tavern and everybody was dancing :P

The chances to make an EFE are 1 in 5000, though with a nice perk this would go to 1 in 2500.

The chances to make an EFE are 1 in 5000, though with a nice perk this would go to 1 in 2500.

Actually it's 1 / 10 000 without and 1 / 5 000 with artificier perk

According to http://eternal-lands.solexine.fr/ el uses about 400kb/sec for the server.

If you say there are 300ppl online average, that'd be less than 1k/sec.

Looking at my local bandwidth usage i can confirm this, usually the network load is way lower (of course, when moving next to a crowded storage char the load might peak).

The hightest bandwidth I have ever seen was about 10kb when there was a party in IP tavern and everybody was dancing B)

BTW, that's 400 KBAUDS/second, not 400KBYTES/second.

You mean KBITS... baud is something to do with modulation, not the data transfer speed.

I agree, so that would be 400KBits/8, which would give you 50KB?

well bps are bits per secound

bauds are amount of the signal chages per secound(how many bits can something send per secound) (this has a lot in comon with bps but it is not the same). Its pointless to make statistics in baud rate so thouse are like leeloo said. bites per secound :)

I agree, so that would be 400KBits/8, which would give you 50KB?

yep :)

Edited by obionek

So, technically the server transfers 50Kbps (BYTES per second), which on average per user (at 300 users per second on average), is 160bps (Bits per second, or 0.16KBYTES).

If i'm right, that is a seriously low amount of network transfer in comparison to; for instance, web browsing.

(Someone correct me if im wrong...:))

[EDIT, 160BPS not 16BPS)

Edited by Placid

The protocol is designed specifically to be low bandwidth. In the old days (ok, we didn't have that many users back then), the server ran on a residential ADSL, something like 512/128 I think.

An example: A simple thing like the server pinging the client to see when a a connection is lost (the grue) is normally implemented by the server sending a packet "ping" to the client, which then responds with a reply "pong". In the EL protocol, only the "pong" packet is sent, the client knows when to send it and the server will drop the connection if it's not received within 15 seconds after it should have been sent.

The protocol is designed specifically to be low bandwidth. In the old days (ok, we didn't have that many users back then), the server ran on a residential ADSL, something like 512/128 I think.

An example: A simple thing like the server pinging the client to see when a a connection is lost (the grue) is normally implemented by the server sending a packet "ping" to the client, which then responds with a reply "pong". In the EL protocol, only the "pong" packet is sent, the client knows when to send it and the server will drop the connection if it's not received within 15 seconds after it should have been sent.

Thats correct. So is the ping-pong method more network-instensive (per packet) than just a client pong? I have an understanding of the protocol and how to send data (im currently developing a trade bot).

Leeloo, where my calculations correct? :D Does this mean that resyncs and lag are due to upstream and not downstream?

Edited by Placid

The ping-pong method is not more network intensive per packet, but since it sends twice as many packets of the same size, it does generate twice the amount of network traffic :D

I'm not sure about your calculations, if the 160 is a rounding error, my (or rather Windows') calculater says about 170 (170 if you use 1024, 166 if you use 1000), and it's still bytes, not bits.

lag that leads to resyncs is caused by downstream data packets being delayed and then arriving in a group, if upstream data packets are delayed, you just don't move until the packets reach the server. Lag can be both, as you can't tell if the packet from the server is delayed or hasn't been sent because the packet to the server is delayed. However, as the protocol is TCP, there are also the ACK packets that complicate the matter, as they move in the opposite direction of the data packets, and can be a part of other data packets. And then there is the resyncs that are caused by the PC being too slow to keep up with the data stream.

Thats what I mean by network-intensive :D

It is a rounding error, orignally I was doing this:

50/300 and using the remainder (SB's) as the bps (should have * 1024).

here's my amended calculation:

(1024*50)/300 = 170.66" per user per second.

Or, as previously:

(50/300)*1024 = 170.66" per user per second.

Yes, I did mean bytes not bits, got confused :D

(TCP/IP:

syn->

<-syn&ack

syn&data- Done

)

So, its moreso a bad connection than bad PC specs? I.e, if downstream is actually quite quick (and through the use of P2P software, like ELDonkey?) the upstream is slow (no limit on upstream), the lag could be caused by slower upstream than downstream...Do you see what I mean? (Or am I rambling :D)

Edited by Placid

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.