Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cindy

Food State - balancing suggestion

When you are harvesting 'whatever' - your inclination is to carry as little other items as possible - in order to yield a maximum payload.

Frequently I skip on carrying rations to get a few more pieces of ore. And many times when my mind is wandering as i click away, I consider that in real life, if I was that hungry, I'd be dizzy and light headed and have difficulty focusing on my task.

The game should have a reasonable level of difficulty, and i would suggest having a modest , scaled 'penalty' for working hungry.

You lose 10 percent effectiveness (success probability) for every ten points of a negative food state : - so if you were at minus 30, you would suffer a 30 percent less chance of success. Or make it less severe and make it a 10 percent loss for the first ten minus points and five percent for each additional ten negative points - for a total impact of minus 20 percent to success at negative 30 on food.

This would only apply to a negative food state. Food levels between zero and positive 30 would have no impact. We could possibly even give a ten percent success bonus for a food state greater than positive 20.

It would force people to balance the 'cost of operating' a character , along with the "for profit" activities of that character.

One possible corollary is to integrate it with the long term intention of encouraging a player based economy.

I think there are a myriad of options available to mid - to - hi level players for producing an income.

What i am thinking of is something that gives beginners an income when they are unsure about the game, possibly discouraged etc., something that would give them a sense of success -at least financially.

Consider removing the hi yield food - cooked meat - from the npc's:

make producing it a zero experience task - like bone powder;

require a harvest level of 4 or a mfg level of 2 to combine a raw meat,

and either a "leaf" of some kind for seasoning or a bone (as kindling) to produce cooked meat.

It could then be sold to other players who have better uses for their time, and who want to maximize their load capacity.

In order to encourage mid lev players to pay fair market value - set the npc's to buy it at the same price as cactus - 50 gp. That means in order to get it out of the makers hands your going to have to meet or beat the store price.

The income is (probably ?) reasonable since it isnt a stationary resource like cactus, and additionally requires the 'job-cost' of collection of separate components. Also it would give beginners a much needed financial means to pay for most of their train-ups of the four base attributes, at least to get their attributes to level 12 or so.

Since food can't be stored - you could be assured of frequent, small qty sales (10-20 cooked meats per buyer). If necessary, the other high yield food - fruit - could be eliminated and players would make choices between vegeatables @15 food / unit vs cooked meat @ 25/unit.

Or fruit could also be player made/zero experience - the combination of 2 leaf items and a berry item, making 'travel fruit' with the same food value as the current product , 20 food/unit.

When mid level players are mining silver ore at an average 'payload' of 130 units of ore, being able to carry 3-4 game hours worth of food in a single slot, for 10 units of weight or less, is very worth buying.

Yeah, very good idea. I want to make the economy as player based as possible.

From what i noticed, now with the introduction of summoning, the raw meat street price is about 200 gold, so I guess the cooked meat will be a little more expensive, once it is removed from the stores...

along with the cooking I don't know but you could have a cooking skill hmmmm just an idea

Yeah, but we don't have much to cook with yet, just veggies and meat. We could make rabbit in red wine sauce, with bread, but that's about it.

hmm, i wonder, how about being able to sleep? when you go into sleep mode your screen goes black and you will no longer "hear" local chat but your material and etheral points go up faster? or maybe that should be a tavern idea? you pay for a room and all the stuff above happens? you will wake up when you feel like it, but watch the food meter :)

hmm, maybe the room could come with a full meal so that you allways start on a full stomach?

hmm, how about this, when sitting down you get double the heal rate from food, sleeping gives you 4 times normal. then add the magic cape on top of that :) only time summoners and wizards would need etheral potions would be out in the field on long trips :)

hmm, it would allso be interesting to have tents that you can pop up that when inside only the ones inside can hear your talking :) sleeping is allowed but you will have to bring your own food and the tent will protect against hostile monsters while your inside it :)

lol u guys want to make the game like perfectily in real life?

if i still, sitting the food lvl should not go down if u arent doing anything and the char in like 1 hour and a half of game goes from foodlvl 30 to -30 its to low time for anyone get hungry....

i think a tent would not protect you from gargoyles i mean if they can kill you imagin what they can do to a peice of canvas but you will stay drie in the rain.. till a gargoyle comes

its not so mutch that it will protect you from a attacking gargoyle but that the gargoyle will just leave you be if your camped in a tent(and its allso a good old rpg classic 8) )...

oh and borelo, even when your perfectly still your body is burning resources just keeping you alive. as for the fast food burn, the game have a 6 hour day...

i think that player based economy is a great idea, but there should be an improvement in the acctual act of exchange.imagine 1k players offering and demanding. if they are on a single channel its going to be a mess. if they're not, then there's a much lower chance that they are going to make a contract. i think this would lead to situation, where players would produce most of what they need themselves, with a little exchange from time to time. but it would be nice to introduce some higher lvl of exchange economy.

would it be possible to have player owned shops? it would be a place a player can buy from another player without that other player being around. of course, he/she would have to take care of supplying whatever he's selling, he would have freedom to put it up for any price he wants, maybe limit who can buy off him.ppl could even sell him stuff.he could put price he's buying for, limit how many units he wants etc.

those shops could be like player owned houses. they would have to buy a shop somewhere to set this up.shops in wsc would cost more, shops in countryside would cost less etc.of course, even the buying and selling of shops would work on player to player basis, once there's enough players owning shops. it's just an idea. if we're going to have a player based economy(which would be really something), we could bring it to another level. a real economy. don't flame me for being unrealistic.it's just an idea for player based economy:-)

Hmm entropy.. you sure do love player based economies dont you :D

just for example i will bring up the NEGATIVE effects of a player based econ.

1.prices-They ARE never stable. and if any kind of rariety is introduced Bam, up goes inflation.(sigh more rs relations- the party hat for example)

2. people-people wont always be on at the same times... if you buy all your resources in bulk from say 2 people then what if they dont come on for awile (LONG WHILE) say grounding, bills, loss of interest in game...

then this forces your to persue other options in your purchasing.

this could lead to broken friendships... or a loss of valuable training time.

(note)the loss of time refers to HIGH lv items and products that are rarer and impossible to get from general newb population.

3. taking food out of shops.

i personally think this is a very BAD idea. people like I dont have time to beam up and buy 20 fruits then walk all the way back to the quartz mines.

sure you could use rings.. but that in the end is much more wasting money than saving time.

~~~~~~~~~~~

thats my thought on the player based economy.. don't EVER introduce a rare that only a few people can get at a certain time, like holiday drops.

I dont want to see another economy trashed to heck permanently. :)

~~

as for the food lv thing with mining. :wink: we had a discussion of that on ch4 entropy Rofl.... you know my feelings about it. i dont really like it but i will have to deal with it lol.. there should be more bonuses for keeping health near max also. like say top 13 points will give always recive the mineral/ore/flower/cactus.

im done ranting.

hmm, rebootedrock. inflation and prices are two different things. inflation means money supply growth(which results in raising prices), while raising a single price means relative prices of items change. if there's a fixed or stable amount of money in the game, than the prices will only change depending on a change in personal preferences.it's a simple game, nothing compared to the real economy, and preferences won't change that much.and even if they did, that's why entropy wants to do that. it adds something unpredictable to the game. and limits unlimited richness for players,which most games suffer from.to keep this, of course, means, that most of the stuff has to be inner made, nothing like "items falling from the heaven" in a sense of finding loads of stuff falling off the monsters.also, item's should be destroyable, to make players keep buying new stuff. and other problems.

in all and all. even that i really, really like the idea of player based economy, it would change this game pretty much to make it work like player based economy. however, i don't think it's a purpose of this game. so i guess, that now, most of the stuff would either be self made(potions, essences, resources for manufacturing) and only some of the hight stuff( hightlevel weapons, armor etc) will be based on player to player interaction.and it woun't add to player interaction.

it wouldn't be that bad, but if you remove all other opportunities to get money from NPCs, what are you going to use to buy high price stuff from players? there is a limited amount of pants, boots,swords, helmets, that you can exchange with players that don't have them, for money.don't think that jevik is going to exchange a tit serpent for 60k body rests:-) there isn't just enought to offer for high price stuff. money would be limited.so you'll have to leave some way to make money off NPCs.and there will always be ppl getting insanely rich.

maybe i'm wrong.it's just what i'm affraid of.don't want to destroy this game:-) if there's a something easy(like manufacturing etc.), it's not a good solution to make it boring. because something easy means it relatively easier than something else and in time, everything could get boring.dangerous:-(

lol u guys want  to   make the game like perfectily in real life?

if i still, sitting the food lvl should not go down if u arent doing anything and the char in like 1 hour and a half of game goes from foodlvl 30 to -30 its to low time for anyone get hungry....

It has been suggested to implement higher health/manna regen when sitting. It has also been pointed out that such a benefit would be tied to metabolism - i.e. to recover 2 manna/health points per tick while sitting - your food count would be debited 2 points as well.

It was suggested that there be an option to "uncheck" the double rate while sitting - since a player mining ore , at full health and manna

would be receiving no benefit from the food rate rate consumption, and

a 'hit' of -5 food per tick will really annoy such a player.

That way players who are pursuing activitie such as hunting might enable their higher regen rate, while players pursuing activities such as mining would disable it during that activity.

I'd also like to see that the consumption of the food at double rate drop to single rate once you make out your food. I'd hate to accidentally use up all my food by sitting for a few minutes too long.

i see it more like the body while active consumes a bit of the resources the food is being turned into so basicly if your sitting down doing nothing you will heal 2 point pr food but if your harvesting or standing you will get just the usual 1 pr food. being in a state of rest makes to body be more effective at healing...