Eternal Lands Official Forums
OliviaM

'Noob'

I was thinking about this...

Why is 'noob' an insult? I mean, do you see people in coloquial conversations calling each other 'noobs'? Too me, it just sounds like a dorky thing to say...

What is everyone else's take?

*I'm bored...*

I guess ppl don't like to appear niave and to be called noob is basicly the same thing. Or to not be infromed or not know what your doing in the game i guess it might hurt some ppls egos.

I think it's because it is so close to another word that starts with B. In normal conversation it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but for whatever reason people started using it as an insult, so it became one. If all the sudden everyone started saying "you are such a rabbit...go play another game rabbit" then rabbit would be an insult.

That's my thought.

well i once told the difference between 'noob' and 'newbie'

newbie: a new person who tries to find his way through the game by asking things and exploring

noob: a new person who immediatly starts begging for stuff after he started because he is too lazy to try the things by himself

get is now olivia? :rolleyes:

newb = new begginer

noob = some1 that plays for a while, but stil is a noob, like sunny_moon

:lol: you declared a term using itself in the description.

Originally not necessarily an insult it's mostly used in such a way today, as I have experienced. Don't know why. See http://en.wikipedia.org/Newbie for the differences.

Edited by Malaclypse

Player A is a newbie and Player B is a noob

In General

Player A: polite, does not spam, gets answers

Player B: spams, appears to like the word "smeg" a lot, gets #ignored

Very Beginning

Player A: what is the wraith and why is its name blue?

Player B: whats that retarded floating thing? and wtf is a wraith?!??!?!

At the Campfire by the Beam (the fire is out, they dont know you can light one)

Player A: what is the fireplace for?

Player B: what is that stupid pile of wood for????????

At the Campfire by the Beam (they now know you can light it)

Player A: can someone please light the fire?

Player B: someone smeging light the fire NOW!!!!!!1!~

Fire Just Lit

Player A: what's the fire for?

Player B: is that fire just there to look stupid? can i burn people on it?!?!

Just Been Called "New"

Player A: yeah, i guess i am new, but this game is fun!

Player B: wtf you moron i have a character that's got 95 overall level (RS player) and can destroy you! this is my smeging second character duh you smeg

Just Died for the First Time (to a rabbit/beaver/rat)

Player A: (has read the #hint saying you wont go to hell until oa 7) phew. at least i dont lost any of my stuff yet

Player B: (told the #hints to f off) wow. that's gay i didnt even really die! what a smeging stupid game!

Realizing They Really Need to Heal

Player A: whoa, my health is really low, how do you heal yourself?

Player B: this is smeging bullsmeg why cant i smeging heal?!!?!?

Just Went to Hell for the First Time

Player A: #jc 1 (next) @how do i get out of hell?

Player B: #jc 1 (next) @ok wtf i though i just went back to that pile of wood when i died, this is bullsmeg!

Just Got Out of Hell (knows about food, and knows about remote heal)

Player A: i was just killed, can someone please heal me (asks only once)

Player B: omfg that smeging rabbit someone heal me NOW!!~!!1 (spams it, refuses to stop)

Just Got Healed (dont ask how Player B got healed, an NH was at beam?)

Player A: thank you very much, how do you do that? (gets a "yw" and an explanation)

Player B: about smeging time you smegheads! i dont need your help anyway, i'm going to heal myself from now on (gets #ignored)

Figures out about Weapons and Armor

Player A: can someone please tell me how to get a sword and armor?

Player B: i need sword and armor11!! come on, is it that hard for you smegs to give me stuff?!?!!~`1

Finds out About PK

Player A: what is PK about? (gets a description, figures he should avoid it)

Player B: HAH SuCKERS I WILL PWN YOU ALL!!!!!!1~11!! (goes into PK map and dies to donpedro/shivar/you get the picture)

Gets Bored of Rabbits/Rats/Beavers

Player A: #jc 1 (next) @what should i kill after rabbits and rats and beavers?

Player B: #jc 1 (next) @rabbits and rats and beavers are so stupid and weak (although a rabbit pwned him) whats the next retarded animal? (some nice person tells them goblin out of sarasm and they go and kill themselves on one) @you smeghead goblins arent next!

Sees a Fluffy Rabbit (in carmien manor)

Player A: (was harvesting diamonds with an mm cloak on) wow, i cant wait until i can kill one of those

Player B: (was in carmien for no reason whatsoever) wtf a white rabbit (goes and attacks it, dies in one hit) (at the beam after he gets out of hell) WTF I DIED TO A smegING RABBIT??!!!!~!?~

Meets a Mod

Pleyer A: Hey <name of mod> how's it going (hopefully a polite conversation ensues depending on the mod)

Player B: Hey smeghead when the hell are you going to put running into this smeging game?!

Gets a Friend

Player A: *trains with friends, has fun, etc.*

Player B: (he wishes.)

Aftermath

Player A: *becomes among the best manufacturers (or some other skill) in the game*

Player B: *got banned for saying smeg way too much, came back as other chars trying to scam high level players, never did, but eventually got IP banned for char creations spamming, went back to playing RS where his (not 95) 3 overall level char becomes the best player in the game (that's why we play EL)*

The End :lol:

Edited by Herny

Just Been Called "New"

Player B: wtf you moron i have a character that's got 95 overall level (RS player) and can destroy you! this is my smeging second character duh you smeg

Hahah funny :-D

Oh and for your question - I think what Ssjgohan wrote is the difference.

newb = new begginer

lol...

i think a n00b and newbie is the same thing :)

Player A is a newbie and Player B is a noob

Very Beginning

Player A: what is the wraith and why is its name blue?

Player B: whats that retarded floating thing? and wtf is a wraith?!??!?!

At the Campfire by the Beam (the fire is out, they dont know you can light one)

Player A: what is the fireplace for?

Player B: what is that stupid pile of wood for????????

At the Campfire by the Beam (they now know you can light it)

Player A: can someone please light the fire?

Player B: someone smeging light the fire NOW!!!!!!1!~

Fire Just Lit

Player A: what's the fire for?

Player B: is that fire just there to look stupid? can i burn people on it?!?!

Just Been Called "New"

Just Died for the First Time (to a rabbit/beaver/rat)

Player A: (has read the #hint saying you wont go to hell until oa 7) phew. at least i dont lost any of my stuff yet

Player B: (told the #hints to f off) wow. that's gay i didnt even really die! what a smeging stupid game!

Realizing They Really Need to Heal

Player A: whoa, my health is really low, how do you heal yourself?

Player B: this is smeging retarded why cant i heal?!!?!?

i will edit this with more, this is fun :lol:

lol ur reason is funny too :)

as i see it anyway to spell newb noob n3wb whatever way you spell it it means a new player to me... now if i want to insult someone i dont say you noob i say something that breaks one of the rules..... <_< :)

Here's one for Henry's list:

When life is low,

Player A: More likely to get taken pity on.

Player B: More likely to get taken pwnage on.

Personally i think the use of the terms depends entirely on the view of the other person. Regardless of how the new player acts.

This is more of a general game experience and may not be as prevailent in EL, but people who understand what its like, and care ahout new players call them "newbies", and people who could give a toss, and think a lot of themselves, with no time for anyone who doesnt know what they are doing, call them "n00bs", which i feel is more of a derogatory term than a shortname for a new player.

This is just a personal opinion, and like i said, it doesnt really apply in EL as much as other games i have played, as n00b is more of a generally accepted term in EL. I've just been flamed for being a "stupid n00b" in EVERY game i have ever played and i dont understand why people feel the need to be offensive towards new players.

yours sincerely, a n00b

The word 'Noob' is usually trying to offend people who are lower at something than you. They know it will get to you or cause an argument and this is the whole reason they do it, you should just try to ignore or if your not insulted just say so. :P

I find it amazing for how long the meaning of "noob" can be discussed :P

noob = newbie = new player

Sure, noob and especially n00b has a more negative feeling to it than "new player". I usually use the term "newbie", as it's shorter than "new player" - the meaning is the same though, people who don't have enough experience with the game or act as such.

n00b is frequently used when describing someone who is annoying or to piss someone off. Personally I think it's better to just call the person an imbecile, but that's just me -_-