Is there a divine being

Is there a divine being?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a divine being?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have no idea

Before you post, read this

1) Please tell me whether you believe in a divine being/god or not, and tell me why.

2) DO NOT make this into a flames thread, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

3) this is a discussion, please ask questions, look for answers

4) The poll is just so i dont have to count posts

I personally do not believe in a god.

There is no proof of one and if there is no god, the questions of "why are we here?" or "what created the universe?" are answered as the universe has always existed, just blown itself up and been reconstructed(the big bang all over again) and infinite number of times, and we are just an accident of nature, the ones the came out on top in the gene pool.

For those of you who don't know what the Big Bang is, it is how scientists think the universe was created. Start with a big mass of extremely dense matter(how our universe is supposed to end that way in about 50 billion years) slowly it will drift apart because of dark matter and spred itself out, form planets, stars and other rocks in space...

and you hve yourself a universe. Scientists predict that in about 20 billion years a great majority of stars will have collased in to black holes. This will be the end of the universe. the black holes will form into a great mass of dense matter and the process starts again..

Now, what do you think?

Edited by behindthemask08

In my honest opinion, anybody who votes is over zealous. There is no definite way to know other than dying, and those who have died can't tell.

No vote.

Edit: Looks like someone voted for me after all. <_< I guess "I don't know"

Edited by TheNewestNewbie

Divine being?

Well, yes... I'm here, writing this post, aren't I? <_< I'm the Dwarven God of Beavers. Worship me and I shall smite all... umm... muskrats..? :D

i personally believe there has to be some kind of a "devine" being...i support my belief with the clockmaker theory. if you arent familair with it ill give a short description-

think about walking along a beach.as you are walking you find a pocket watch. now i ask how did it get there? what created it? those answers are simple...humans. now what the clockmaker theory suggests is that in order for something as complicated as a watch to function properly something more complex had to have created it...now we as humans are the most complicated things that we know of...and we function properly (most of the time) do we not?

i also find it hard to believe that something like life (that thing that animates us) could spontanously burst forth from inatimate objects. the problem i have with the big bang theory is that it neglects to describe how all of the matter in the universe suddenly came into being in the center of a void.now for the sake of argument all this matter simply was allready there in the center of a void. Cant remember which law of motion or physics it is but it states that for one thing to happen something had to cause that thing to happen. but why would all of the inatimate matter in a viod spontanously explode? there had to be an action for a reaction...

i do believe i have proven my point...at least to myself... ;)

yes there is.as you can see from my sig he has alot of work :lol:

omg is vart! i think i should start a vartican fan club... with jokers and rocket launchers!

In my honest opinion, anybody who votes is over zealous. There is no definite way to know other than dying, and those who have died can't tell.

No vote.

Edit: Looks like someone voted for me after all. <_< I guess "I don't know"

I agree.

The pole needs to be worded better. I.E. Do you believe that there is a divine being?

Then it would be an opinion and could be answered.

No vote.

Edit: Looks like someone voted for me after all.  <_< I guess "I don't know"

I agree.

The pole needs to be worded better. I.E. Do you believe that there is a divine being?

Then it would be an opinion and could be answered.

Before you post, read this

1) Please tell me whether you believe in a divine being/god or not, and tell me why.

i personally believe there has to be some kind of a "devine" being...i support my belief with the clockmaker theory. if you arent familair with it ill give a short description-

think about walking along a beach.as you are walking you find a pocket watch. now i ask how did it get there? what created it? those answers are simple...humans. now what the clockmaker theory suggests is that in order for something as complicated as a watch to function properly something more complex had to have created it...now we as humans are the most complicated things that we know of...and we function properly (most of the time) do we not?

So, you're saying that for something as complicated as humans to exist, something more complex had to have created it?

And for that something more comlex to exist, something even more complex had to have created it...

And for that something even more comlex to exist, something even more complex had to have created it...

And for that something even more comlex to exist, something even more complex had to have created it...

Segmentation fault, core dumped. B)

I don't believe in a divine being mainly because hell what made him? The cyle can go on for ever I just can't get around the concept of "he was just here!" I mean cmon...it's impossible

So, you're saying that for something as complicated as humans to exist, something more complex had to have created it?

And for that something more comlex to exist, something even more complex had to have created it...

Segmentation fault, core dumped. B)

I wanted to say that to....there should be infinite more complex creatures.

Yes, me.

Regards.

Yes, I have seen a miracle or two in my time and while I cannot provide you with concrete evidence that they were wrought by the hand of God...neither can you provide me with proof that they were not. :P Ahhh, the great dilemna...

"I stand amid the roar

Of a surf-tormented shore,

And I hold within my hand

Grains of the golden sand--

How few! yet how they creep

Through my fingers to the deep,

While I weep--while I weep!

O God! can I not grasp

Them with a tighter clasp?

O God! can I not save

One from the pitiless wave?

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream?"

--Edgar Allan Poe

--always thought this a stylish verse :)--

leeloo what you stated could very well be possible...if you think about it the planets in our solar system are all aligned similair to one of the models of an atom...perhaps we just exist on this "atom" and are considered the smallest unit of somthing that still retains the same characteristics of what it is named as... and that same principle could very well apply to our concept of an atom as well. what i am saying is it all just works too perfectly to not be planned or carefully thought out.

yes, there is a divine being

those who do not believe in one believe that "proof creates faith"

those who do believe in one believe that "faith creates proof"

his daddy and mommy created him :blink: ....silly leeloo ;) . nah j/k

like any theory supporting a creationism view it is pretty much impossible to state a definitive idea of how the devine being came into being themself. but as to how some poeple think that god has allways just been and others question that...i think that him just allways being is similar to how we just are suddenly concious at the begining of life ...<not sarcasm>did that make any sense?</not sarcasm>

^^seriously

FYI i voted no.

But for those who voted 'yes':

But there's turtles all the way down!

:P

Any1 recognized the quote?

Edited: nope, it's Stephen Hawking

Edited by Paladin

Most Theism arguments are that "Nothing comes from nothing." and that "God created everything."

However, when asked how the Gods were created, the answer is that "God has/have always been here."

The same argument against Atheism is that "People haven't always been here, so God must have created us."

Going on the same concept, God couldn't have been here forever since people haven't, and so there is no *supreme* God. :lol:

And also there's the much more simple argument for Atheism of "If there is a God, then how can I stand not to be one? Therefore, there is no God."

:lol: Eep I opened a can of worms.

I belive there is something, and that something is what you make it out to be. God's are the answer to the unanswerable question, there has to be something after death or so humans fear and because of that we created a higher more complexed something to explain what we don't and may never understand. I once read that the univers is always expanding and growing outwardly... perhaps one day when we reach the outer limits of existance we will know the truth, but I belive there is something out there, something on the otherside, and something on the other side of that otherside with which we seek to find. We will all die and our belifes won't matter any more, until then we'll just have to fight wars, persecute and destroy the sancitiy of the society we exist in and eat cookies. I personaly perfer not to discuss politics or religion, there is no right answer and the people who are caught up in what they belive is right will always die of a stroke first arguing their points or belifes, even athesists who belife in nothing have that beliefe of nothingness which they too discuss and argue for and about. I hope that when the greater something chooses who will die, it picks first the persons who care so much about their belifes and so little about there lives first to meet their fates. There are more important things in life than wether or not there is a god, god is a since of who you are and what you belive you can either talk till your blue in the face deciding if it dose in fact exist or you can choose to enjoy the precious little time you have in this world before you find out.

There is something after death, some worms open up a really big box and your are worm food, see we all have a purpose in life.

Athesists are confusing they profess not to belive in something yet they fight for that belife of nothingness, go figure.

Is god fate or is fate god... will we ever know, and more importanly when we find out, will it still matter anymore?

I don't know, I don't care, I'm gonna go eat an Oreo now. C-ya all later.

NeoSeS