Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mellbu Frama

needs to hapen

we need a second server, i say tis because:

i have seen several people complain of lagginess in highly-populated areas.

i myself experienc much laggines in heavily populated areas

a second server would make more room on the two seperate sevrers, therfore less lag.

or we could all just go and buy beter computers and make several large and allredy prosperous computer companies even richer, but somehow i just dont see that hapening...

It doesn't make sense. The lag is not because of the server, but because of all the people on your screen. If you want to split people up, so they can't see eachother, can't chat with eachother and so on, ok, an extra server would do that. But in that case, why don't you just go to some deserted area yourself, there you won't be able to chat with people either (except if you join a channel, which wouldn't help if you were on a separate server).

Og go play a single-player game instead. We have a small community, splitting it up would do much harm. Or just play on the test-server instead, if you're not interested in the community.

lol second server? yeah, half of you go here, and the other half go here! what? your friend's in the other server? you'll never chat with him again (and if there's a n option to go to the other server, the servers would get very uneven eventually) :P

Pretty much anything on a console. Becuse console games don't lag.

Or maybe Age of Empires, or Starcraft, or perhaps Myst? Anything but another MMOG if you want to reduce lag. In fact, just disconnect from the internet all together. Would eliminate all lag.

The server has less than 400 people on it most of the time. That doesn't cause lag. I run 2 clients, both at 10 fps with a little resync here and there, but nothing bad enough to be considered "lag". Pretty good considering what I'm trying to run EL on...

Edited by freeone3000

many big MMORPGs have several servers. WoW servers aren't that much bigger than the EL server, but there are maaaaany of them

I'm thinking the main problem isn't the Server space or too many players on the server but rather the Extremely small Countinent we have. Added to that player's only like to stick to certain areas on any given map leaving almost 60% of the Continent completely unpopulated, It's no wonder over crowding is getting bad. 400 people isn't very big but 400 people all crowding into the same general Areas sure makes it seam that way.

I actually suggest we do add another server but only if we can directly link them somehow. I know we can't but it would be nice that if we could add another Continent on another server and then make it where player's could transfer between the two servers whenever they transfer between continents.

Other then that, I just think we should add another continent, just for Space and Player Exploration purposes!

You're right, Kami. Trouble is, we lack dedicated and talented map-makers. Not to mention one of the more prolific ones just left. ;)

Of course, if more people were to volunteer to help out in designing really GOOD maps, then the new continent would be added much faster. But too few map-makers --> too few new maps --> very long time before a new map is added.

And players complain about it, but don't bother to help make more maps... <_<

(Come on, people...Ravenod even wrote a TUTORIAL to help newbie map-makers... here) Further instructions here.

Just a hint. :ph34r:

-Lyn-

He's talking about another server, like the test server. Were you change the port in your EL config and wham your there. If he's not talking about that, then he should be talking about that. This is a good idea. I am fine in EL until I come to more populated areas, like storages. Then I resync and end up crashing. Also, who mentioned FORCING people to go to the other server? If people want to go to the other server let them. Noone would be forced to go to the other server, and if they want to chat with their friends and stuff that is what MSN, AOL, and changing your port back to the other server is for.

yeh and maby the channels stil can be the same and. but then we need also more Mods and NH.

In that case, whats stopping them playing on the test server? ;)

I think you need to make your mind up, you want the lack of people but NH's/Mods too? There simply arent enough people to to that.

Here's a solution:

If to play on an empty server use the test server.

Otherwise, play the normal server, like everyone else.

You cant have the best of both worlds ;)

Edited by Placid

I actually suggest we do add another server but only if we can directly link them somehow. I know we can't but it would be nice that if we could add another Continent on another server and then make it where player's could transfer between the two servers whenever they transfer between continents.

And what would the point be of adding another server? As you said, the problem is not the server, it's the small world and the people crowding in even smaller places. If we add more continents, why put them on a different server? To add a lot of expenses? The current server can handle much more than 400 players.

And even if we do add more continents, will it solve the problem? It seems that the problem is not lack of space, but that people prefer crowding in the same places. If 60% of the current space is basically unused, doubling it might just mean that 80% of the total would be basically unused, and people would still sit in the exact same places.

I think the problem here is that people dont have a reason to go around the whole continent.

Maps like Tarahji and SKF etc should hold resources (not just monsters) that you NEED such as Ore. That way, things would even out a bit.

And making it possible to manufacture/alch/potion at all storages would also help the lag-problem.

Definately, I cant quite see the point of not allowing it? Al least allow it in large maps etc.

If you have a problem with AFK macroing, why not automatically disconnect inactive players after a set time?

Actually, we might have to get another server by the end of the year (if the number of players grows as it grew in the last few months).

*blink*

Really? Of course I don't have access to how many characters have been created, and I don't keep exact stats, but my feeling is that at least in the last couple of weeks the number of players online at the same time is fairly constant around 400.

*blink*

Really? Of course I don't have access to how many characters have been created, and I don't keep exact stats, but my feeling is that at least in the last couple of weeks the number of players online at the same time is fairly constant around 400.

True, but not long ago there we were like 250 players online (on the average). So the count is rising.

Actually, we might have to get another server by the end of the year (if the number of players grows as it grew in the last few months).

Around 8% according to top, with 337 players online... Come again when we are at 80% with 3370 players online :blink:

That's only for the main el server, the test server and other side jobs might need to be moved before that point.

You don't realise that not many people play the test server, and you need more than the amount of people who play the test server to actually play the game and enjoy it.

And what would the point be of adding another server? As you said, the problem is not the server, it's the small world and the people crowding in even smaller places. If we add more continents, why put them on a different server? To add a lot of expenses? The current server can handle much more than 400 players.

Ah, well my suggestion had more to do with creating a "Parallel Server" where the game was divided into two Parts: One part of the Adventure is on one Continent and there's an entire whole other Continent (being kept on another Server) that in order to continue playing you have to transfer you character to the other server (by in-Game means, not by changing your Port) and back again during your travels. As far as GamePlay is concerned, this would be an amazing aspect. More so because of how both Continent's would be seperated and thus the players, creating an semi-realistic feeling of extreme Distance (which is logical sense it's a whole other continent.) It'll help reduce the sense of Linear Gameplay that I tend to get sometimes.

Of course, Like I said, this is currently not possible. It would also require more resources they we have anyway, even if we could.

And even if we do add more continents, will it solve the problem? It seems that the problem is not lack of space, but that people prefer crowding in the same places. If 60% of the current space is basically unused, doubling it might just mean that 80% of the total would be basically unused, and people would still sit in the exact same places.

Well, the server holds 1000 people. In the long run, we should be looking forewords to more then 1000 players at one time. Even with the server now on this one continent, I honestly don't think we can even handle 1000. The Map's too limited and (sad to say) poorly Porportionized, causing far too over population along the Northern and South-eastern Shorelines. Given that the majority of players are connected with sub-par hardware, there are going to be these kinds of problems so long as the focus of the game is to sit and patiently Work for long hours on end. Honestly, there's just no incentive for player's to get up and move around when all they need is in the same general areas and (in the case of Raven) are forced to stay in one place for a long time or (in the case of Mogor) is a Central-Hub of Player Traffic.

Ah, anyway. Nevermind.

Oh, and one more thing. I'd personally Love to add my help in working on Map Making, but (as per my hint on Sub-Par hardware) My computer just doesn't like the Map Editor at all. Maybe when I buy meself a new comp.

make resources farther away to reduce lag= players bitching about time it take to make things

make new continent=suitable until twice the number people online now join, then same problem.

proportionalize maps=players still bitch about time.

It is a paradox, lag or players bitching, such a joy to make an mmorpg isnt it ent?

Around 8% according to top, with 337 players online... Come again when we are at 80% with 3370 players online :P

That's only for the main el server, the test server and other side jobs might need to be moved before that point.

That's the server, but you aslo have to count the System too.