Eternal Lands Official Forums
SirKillAlot

Make EL run faster!

I have tried almost everything to get EL to run faster. Last year (not even that far back) more like 7-8 months I could run EL fine with 30+ fps on dial-up even around a zillion people (when I had my wars in KF). Now.. Almost a year and a half later I can barely get up to 10 FPS with noone around me, then when I beam/go by crowded storages/anything with lots of people I lagg and resync like crazy. Eventually having to close EL with ctrl-alt-delete. So far I've cleaned out old programs that I don't use anymore, used Spybot S & D several times(that still may be some of my problem, anyone know a better free anti-spy program?), and updated my drivers.

I have an Intel 82810 Graphics Controller - GFX card

My OS is Windows ME, I can upgrade to Windows XP if that is part of the problem.

and I updated my drivers from Here

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Ok, well i'd definately get some better/updated spyware/malware software, and really clean your computer out. Spyware CAN be a major lag on connections.

Try AdAware.

I'd also get some decent Anti-Virus software and keep that up-to-date, and make sure you do regular scans.

Secondly, this may not effect EL directly, but i'd degragment your hard-drive. The longer the hard-drive goes without a defrag, the worse it gets.

You many not need to upgrade to XP, but i'd get any service packs that you can for ME.

Lastly, if possible, try getting some more RAM, it always helps.

Good luck ;)

I would absolutely upgrade to WinXP. Windows Me is more unstable than Windows 98 2nd edition. So either 'downgrade' to Win98SE or upgrade to WinXP

I defragged just the other day, I have had problems with Adaware SE.. It scans, finds the problems, quarantines, then freezes halfway through deleting them, but I will try it again.

Were can I get service packs for ME? www.microsoft.com I'm guessing.

Also.. How do I go about getting more RAM. ATM I have very little.

www.windowsupdate.com

Try to get some more memory - I guess your PC needs SD RAM, those are really cheap nowadys. You should have at least 256 MB, better would be 512 MB

SKA, take your computer into a local computer store, and ask if they can upgrade the ram, increasing it as much as possible. Be careful, they may doop you, but try and double your ram

That's an onboard GFX card - The more that's happening with the CPU, the lower your FPS goes. Defragging, network, spybot, more RAM etc won't help: All that can speed it up is running EL with less expensive options, or buying a new+faster processor.

I have no idea how it was running so fast before. It's really hard to play with a onboard, even when other specs are good. I ran one with bad specs, and I got 0-3 fps. Be glad you can get that with what you have... I get about that with a GeForce440 MX.

Easiest way to speed it up is to get a real video card.

I defragged just the other day, I have had problems with Adaware SE.. It scans, finds the problems, quarantines, then freezes halfway through deleting them, but I will try it again.

Have it only delete around a fourth at a time.

Also.. could having 2 gigs of music on my PC make it slow also?

No, unless you try to play it all at the same time while trying to play EL.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.