Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
_JenS_

world of warcraft

:o Are we still in that place in the mid 90's, when anyone who played video games is a geek or a dork? And here I thought gaming had become mainstream. lol

No, but some games are for geeks. Like WoW.

:) Are we still in that place in the mid 90's, when anyone who played video games is a geek or a dork?  And here I thought gaming had become mainstream.  lol

WoW is not a geek game - it's a mainstream game.

In fact it even lacks of some basic MMORPG features (compared to UO or EQ2)

:) Are we still in that place in the mid 90's, when anyone who played video games is a geek or a dork?  And here I thought gaming had become mainstream.  lol

So does other geek games like StarCraft and UT2004.

And how do you define "mainstream game"?

:P Are we still in that place in the mid 90's, when anyone who played video games is a geek or a dork?  And here I thought gaming had become mainstream.  lol

So does other geek games like StarCraft and UT2004.

And how do you define "mainstream game"?

UT2k4 and SC aren't MMORPGs....

"Mainstream games" are hyped games imo. WoW for example attracts many gamers that are young and never played MMORPGs before, just because all Gamemags wrote about it and hyped it. The whole game aims for that players.

Of course there are no clear borders, so it's hard to tell what is mainstream, what's underground and what's geek stuff and often it's not necessary.

But if you ask me, EL is a way more geekier than WoW... :)

UT2k4 and SC aren't MMORPGs....

No, they are geek games.

"Mainstream games" are hyped games imo. WoW for example attracts many gamers that are young and never played MMORPGs before, just because all Gamemags wrote about it and hyped it. The whole game aims for that players.

And who reads game magazines? Geeks.

But if you ask me, EL is a way more geekier than WoW...  :)

The only interesting thing left in EL is socializing - and you call that geek?

Edited by Leeloo

i play WoW

lvl 52 Hunter on Dalaran (PvE)

Just got oh so sexy infernal trickster pants from my 4th time doing maraudon!!

and i almost got all the way through the sunken temple of attali'Hakkar. But after you kill Jammal'An and his slaves 2 lvl 54 elite dragons are summoned at the pit of sacrifice =P. Harder than eranikus ><

my name is MikeH on that too, so if your ever on dalaran... ;D

Edited by MikeH

i got a friend who plays it i think his character looks like a mutated cow :lol:

*edit* typo

Edited by ssjgohan

I don't play WoW, but I have something to say about the geekiness of gaming and whatnot: Isn't it much more geeky to play a small MMORPG that no one knows, which gets gimped at every possible turn... compared to a big MMORPG like WoW or whatever floats your boat. Think about it, you have to be pretty geeky to know how to set up the game, using notepad to twink some .ini file. As opposed to pretty set-up program. Small time MMORPGs are definitely geeky -- bigger ones are mainstream.

As a sidenote, I urge everyone to take advantage of Anarchy Online's free offer. You still have about 10 months of free playing if you join up now. Free. <- Magic word. Now go download it.

Edited by Korgan

WoW is only big because of all the geeks. They played WarCraft and WarCraft 2 (is there a 3?) and thought OMG, a new WarCraft game.

On the other hand I can't even convince geeks to try EL.

Even geeks have some standards. :) :lol: :P

Can't get over or under it, EL is still sub-par when compared to MMORPGs made with big bucks. I mean, EL-like gimping just doesn't happen in big games. Someone doesn't suddenly come up with an idea that some item now requires three times the old amount of some item, which is gained purely based on luck and not at all based on your character's skills, for example.

The geeks want to shine. If they want to be gimps, they can live their real life. In WoW or whatever, they're not gimps. Easy choice, really.

WoW is only big because of all the geeks. They played WarCraft and WarCraft 2 (is there a 3?) and thought OMG, a new WarCraft game.

Yes there's Warcraft 3, and ur the biggest dork among us all Leeloo <_<

no it's big cause they read in Gamemags that the WC series rocks, so they buy the damn game.

Gaming is a part of a teenagers everyday life - accept it. it's not geek stuff anymore.

no it's big cause they read in Gamemags that the WC series rocks, so they buy the damn game.

Gaming is a part of a teenagers everyday life - accept it. it's not geek stuff anymore.

And yet again you are talking about geeks who read gamemags. Everyone else doesn't read in gamemags that "the WC series rocks".

I never said that non-geeks don't play games, but they play games that are not geeky.

I never said that non-geeks don't play games, but they play games that are not geeky.

The so-called "non geek gamers" play sports games. *shiver*

To me watching grown men skate in some cold as hell hall, poking a rubber puck with wooden sticks is way more geekier than playing a great RPG. On the contrary of popular beliefs, roleplaying rather teaches people social skills, and are great for imagination. All writers (books, movie scripts..) should play roleplaying games. On the other hand, sports games should be banned because they make people violent. You can tackle all you want and the little guys on the screen never die. Then they do that in real life and wonder why people die. In roleplaying games you only kill evil monsters, so you are doing everyone a favor. ;)

Sports games? I don't remember seing anyone I know playing sports games, neither geeks nor non-geeks. Except racing games, if you consider that sports, but that's non-violent, and actually have a reason... Anyone who wants to can go skating or playing football, but most people don't get a chance of driving an F1 car, and on normal roads you're going to get a ticket before even thinking about putting your foot down.