Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

Patch #000336 - Improvements to mapmarking

I have a quick question about this. Why don't you use the my_ string functions throughout the code, i.e. my_strcp instead of strcpy, my_strncp instead of strncpy and my_strcat instead of strcat? Also you use my_strncompare at the beginning (of the patch file), but later down you use strcmp. Do the my_ functions not work for you here?

The my_strncompare in the beginning is because I copied the if() statement from something else and edited it.

the strcat() calls I copied from other parts of the code (multiplayer.c and/or interface.c)

I've always wondered why you use the my_* functions. They seem to do the same thing.

Is it for portability?

If you want I can change it to use the my_ functions, no problem.

I think it would be much cleaner if only one version is used throughout the code, whether it be the standard versions or the my_ versions doesn't really matter imho.

The reason why I made those functions is so we can debug stuff easier. If the program crashes ina system lib, you are out of luck. If it crashes in your function, it's easier to detect what was wrong.

Added #mark <name> to mark your current position on the map using the current marking system and

#goto <mark name> or #goto <x,y> (used some of Fred Penner's old patch)

(...)

It would be nice to hear some feedback on this.

TY @)--}----

I can't tell if it works but if it does, it will be a really nice feature :D And it will make the flower tutorial quest easier (maybe tut. NPC should tell about the #goto command), so not every beginner needs to ask "where is $x_coord,$y_coord" :)

With regards

Lachesis