Eternal Lands Official Forums
Lachesis

Server messages

they are not funny, they are stupid. Just like the quests and the whole spaceship story... They don't fit the style of the game. I thought this is a roleplay game - maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sorry if Entropy tries to make it a little more interesting and loves sci-fi...

There are guilds based on Star Trek.

We communicate from afar from each other (telepathy?)

We die and walk out of the underworld to retreive our stuff.

kl4Uz - This game is just fun. And yes, at times it deviates from a solid fantasy game. But those little things is what gives the game character. It separates it from other similar games. Like a person's nuiances that make them original. Those things are part of what makes Eternal Lands unique and well loved.

There are two things wrong with this message:

1. The main thing I really don't like about the 'you don't have that item you pice of shit' [sic] is the complete hypocrisy of it...

There is a 'profanity filter' which converts certain words to 'smeg', and I agree with this as there are some very young players in the game - yet it's ok for the server to send this message?

2. I object to being called a 'pice of shit' [sic] by a game, just because it's laggy!

Couldn't it be changed to 'You don't have that item, stupid!' ?

Edited by avon

I will admit that I hated that space story, at least the half of it that I even bothered to read...but if you're really offended by an NPC calling you a "pice of shit", then... ignore it. If you are able to clearly play the game well, then why are you offended by a childish swear word? Like others have said- I find it quite funny. It's not coming from an actual person- it's an NPC saying the supposed 'offensive' word.

Here's how to get the message without lagging or cheating:

Try to deposit an item that you have in your inventory but stop when you reach the screen saying "1 2 5 10 20 50 100 ....." Then drop the item(s) on the ground and click one of the numbers. :)

Edited by chintan

Now explain this to me, it seems I'm getting you all wrong since I have got the absurd impression that you gladly accept my anger just for your joy. Stupid aint I? :D

Errrm I can only speak for myself, but I would like to suggest that maybe your anger is slightly misplaced? Now if you were angry over world peace,or the lack of it, maybe I might be willing to sacrifice my joy...

Now explain this to me, it seems I'm getting you all wrong since I have got the absurd impression that you gladly accept my anger just for your joy. Stupid aint I? :D

This is not about us being happy because you are angry. Far from it.

We just love the comical and abusive messages we get from the server because they are so absurd. In any big-money politically-correct game, such messages would never exist. Too much worrry about doing the "right thing" and they sacrifice a bit of humor. When I see those messages pop up, I laugh.

Well I agree, I understand you now. I have been amused by those messages myself a lot, but now that I get them several times a minute, they are not funny anymore. As I said, feelings are not rational. I know about the reasons and the humor of those messages. I don't mind about them. But I feel bitched at by the game, which seriously cuts joy of playing. In fact, if there wouldn't be the socializing facet of EL, they would even destroy fun of playing.

I hope you understand me now :D Maybe I am complaining about something worthy, but also note that I am asking for something worthy too, and that I am not the only one. Thank you for appreciation.

With regards

Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

Do you really pay that much attention to them? I mean, when I'm busy or in a hurry, I ignore those messages completely. And when I'm not busy I just chuckle and continue on.

I agree with Hammen since smeg is our own word in EL (yet I use it out of EL at time it's funny)

I find that message funny as well... I would find it even funnier if it said "smeg" rather than "shit"...

Yes that would be much funnier... and no longer hypocritical either, as it's the word currently used by the profanity filter :P

Do you really pay that much attention to them?  I mean, when I'm busy or in a hurry, I ignore those messages completely.  And when I'm not busy I just chuckle and continue on.

I'll give up trying to explain. I am saying the same things again and again, Kit. Please read back the thread. If you still don't get the point: I am not willing to help you anymore, please appreciate :/

With regards

Lachesis

I appreciate your posts Lachesis. But really, just relax. The messages weren't not composed specifically for you, but a general message.

And I do understand what you are saying (and yes, I did re-read your first post). But do you really want a game that is 100% politically correct? Then we couldn't kill anything (cruelity to animals), we couldn't worship gods (pushing the game makers religious beliefs upon us), we couldn't do much of anything.

I appreciate your posts Lachesis.  But really, just relax.  The messages weren't not composed specifically for you, but a general message.

And I do understand what you are saying (and yes, I did re-read your first post).  But do you really want a game that is 100% politically correct?  Then we couldn't kill anything (cruelity to animals), we couldn't worship gods (pushing the game makers religious beliefs upon us), we couldn't do much of anything.

I see that you still don't understand me. I neither

• assume that these messages were meant to insult me
  • want a game that is 100% politically correct
  • am angry or insulted because of them
  • fail to understand the humor they contain
  • want any other than this one single message to be changed

So again: everything I say is that this very only message shows up very often, in an inappropriate context, and seriously reduces fun of playing for me (but not only for me) by subconsciously causing the feeling that the game is bitching at me.

So please don't make such a big deal out of it. It's not something basic or about principles. It just about one single message that in one special case produces very different results than it is intended to. Period. Either you got it now, or you don't, sorry.

With regards

Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

And Aero: lol I say it out of EL too :D

Yay I'm not alone :D

It is funny, more people like it then hate it. I suggest it stays. Just like "this is what happens to people who ask ent stupid questions" when you enter the "secret' room in VC. There are a ton of them little humors in the game. It is fun to see every now and then, and if you see it more than once a day. Get over it, it's a game. The old license said something about this isn't a fluffy prissy game blah blah blah. Saying that we are immature for laughing at "stupid" messages is in my mind being a hypocrite, complaining about such a small thing? Come on dear.

I also believe Raven said something funny if you skipped tutorial, and come back (#gonoob NH command) then tried to do it again. I remember laughing at something. Did any of you other old NH's see that? ;)

Much love - SKA

(look I have a leaving phrase now)

True SKA, it's jsut a game, no need to get mad over what a computer thinks you are. if you are too stuck up to accept what it says than maybe you shouldn't play this game. same goes for that snake post. I mean it's just a label, don't make such a big deal over it.