Eternal Lands Official Forums
darcus

How to walk

Hello,

I think I should be able to walk when I have the 'walk' icon on my mouse and I click on the screen. Right? When I try that, nothing happens. The only movement I get is with HOME key.

I'm running EL 1.0.1, Linux (2.6 kernel), xorg and an ATi card

Any help is appreciated.

-darcus

Strange.

What is your FPS? (shows in the upper left of the screen)

Also, what CPU, and which version of EL (official download, or CVS)?

Dang,

Ctrl+right click works (left click does nothing).

Another question (probably could be in another topic but... I'm a n00b), my trees and objects are having HEAVY flickering. Looks like something that the z-buffering of the object faces does not work correctly. Is this a feature in EL or a bug in my drivers...?

-darcus

Do you have the most current drivers to your video card?

Uh that's the tough one. In theory yes, but there is newer version available. Though ATi and 3D on Linux has not been the best buddies. On my machine 3D works nicely in eg. Doom3 and enemy-territory, but the game with the issues is EL. :-(

I tried to look through the forums but could not find any good pointers on this issue.

-darcus

That's beacuse Ati drivers for linux arn't as current as Nvidia, and there really isn't anything anyone can do about this, except get a better video card, preferably a GeForce for Linux.

Why the **** a Geforce? At least some ATI cards have good, working DRI drivers on Linux, but no nVidia card has any 3D acceleration unless you want to run with crappy binary-only drivers that are really just recompiled Windows-drivers, including registry keys and everything.

Darcus, what card do you have? I just bought an ATI card for my new Linux machine, because they are the only one making cards that have good Linux 3D-drivers. But it's not all of their cards, so it depends on which one you have.

Darcus, what card do you have? I just bought an ATI card for my new Linux machine, because they are the only one making cards that have good Linux 3D-drivers. But it's not all of their cards, so it depends on which one you have.

My card is a ATi Radeon 9600 XT and it works nicely with eg. Doom3 and NWN. I'm using 3.14.6 drivers with xorg 6.7.0. The 8.8.25 drivers should work nicely with xorg 6.8.0 but as an Gentoo user I like to stick with non-~x86 packages. ...Except for EL. :-)

Does your EL run nicely without the polygons flickering on the screen?

-darcus

Why the **** a Geforce? At least some ATI cards have good, working DRI drivers on Linux,

There are lots of problems with radeon 9200 and DRI. Oh btw, my friend has also that Flickering dracus was talking about. He tried diferent wersions of drivers (kernel, xorg ...) nothing seems to help. I am using dri from 2.4.28 kernel and it works fine for me but i have radeon 7500 :rolleyes:

Hi,

An update on where I am. I installed now xorg 6.8.0 + ATi drivers 8.8.25. The flickering is still there, but not that bad as before. Left clicking with mouse does nothing and I can only move with ctrl+right-click.

-darcus

My card is a ATi Radeon 9600 XT and it works nicely with eg. Doom3 and NWN. I'm using 3.14.6 drivers with xorg 6.7.0. The 8.8.25 drivers should work nicely with xorg 6.8.0 but as an Gentoo user I like to stick with non-~x86 packages. ...Except for EL. :-)

Does your EL run nicely without the polygons flickering on the screen?

Not perfect. I have a little flickering, usually one person on screen is flickering, but nothing else. I have a feeling that EL does something funny, because I don't think the card knows who is who. And games like UT2004 have no problems with graphics.

But even with a little flickering, it's still better than the 3 SPF (that's seconds per frame) a Geforce gets.

Edited by Leeloo

I'm obioneks friend :P

On my Radeon 9200, i couldn't start EL using the fglrx drivers (atr-drivers in gentoo), with an old version the graphic was crappy, and with new wersions (the 8.8.25) i couldn't start it at all. Anyway I wasn't very patient with trying to solve it, cause EL is working with xorg DRI drivers (Driver "radeon") but i get some flickering.....

Leeloo: wich drivers are you using (you've got a similar card :angry: )

Unfortunately, AFAIR the 9600 XT is not supported in DRI drivers....

Unfortunately, AFAIR the 9600 XT is not supported in DRI drivers....

Could be. The fglrx driver supports it so I'm happy. Not flicker-free-happy but happy. :-)

-darcus

Guest lokad

Hi all,

I have similiar problems as darcus. I am unable to move around (not even with CTRL-click). The only solution I found is autowalking on map. And, yes, moving is activated. I tried el version 1.0.1 from gentoo and the binary download version 1.0.1 - no differences. I have linux 2.6.10 (the gentoo one) and libsdl 1.2.8. I am also using the ati fglrx drivers 8.8.25 (using a radeon 9600) and xorg 6.8.0.

3 SPF on a geforce? :huh:

I've got an old MX400 geforce in my linux box, and I sit anywhere from 40-80 FPS...

Well....not when I ferget what I'm doing and decide to emerge in the background or anything silly like that.:)

3 SPF on a geforce? :P

Yep, because Nvidia keeps the specs for their cards closed, so there is only software rendering, unless you want to install the binary-only Windows drivers (grep for HKEY if you're in doubt), that cause just as many stability problems as on Windows.

Some of us run Linux for stability.That includes stable drivers.

Hmm...I must just be quite lucky, as my Linux box is the only thing in this house that's not crashed. I also used that one since it was cheap, and after a few power flickers killed 2 nice cards in my win machines (9700 and 9800 pros....that'll teach me to not use a good UPS on my machines *sigh*) the $30 vid card was kinda necessary due to budget constraints, not choice.:D

If you can't move, you might want to check the mouse settings and stuff. I don't think it's a problem with EL, since I never heard anyone reporting it before. It might also be a problem with how X is configured, or how your window manager is configured.

Yes, the window manager can have a big impact on the client. While testing before the last update, I noticed some strange behaviour that didn't happen before. I talked with wytter about it in the game and we came to check what I installed/updated that day. I found then it was the e17 window manager that caused the troubles, going back to e16 or using gnome with metacity anything was working as expected.

If you can't move, you might want to check the mouse settings and stuff. I don't think it's a problem with EL, since I never heard anyone reporting it before. It might also be a problem with how X is configured, or how your window manager is configured.

This is in the bugs section of the forum under a couple of different threads, one of which is "Click-Walking Bug" if I recall what I named it.

Sincerely,

Goliath

Hi,

I found then it was the e17 window manager that caused the troubles, going back to e16 or using gnome with metacity anything was working as expected.

FYI, I use Gnome 2.8.x with metacity and have the problem of walking.

-darcus

I apologize for chiming in a month later, but I wanted to point out that, as goliath mentioned this came up several times under Bugs. For me, the older client (that is, the release previous to this one) had the flickering problem, but I could walk with a regular left-click. The current version has less flickering (not gone entirely though) and I can only walk with ctrl-right click. I have tried both the "stable" version and compiled from CVS, and neither works.

As I offered in the Bugs thread, I'll be happy to help debug this if one of the devs can tell me what I need to run and what options to use (I'm a sysadmin, not a coder, so I rarely use debuggers myself, but I've been using Linux for nearly 10 years and can definitely do what I'm told).

I am having a problem with walking on my computer too (just this one). Related to my other post in the help forums about the Constantly Crashing Client. When I click, either my char doesn't move or goes to the wrong spot. Perhaps it is the video card.

Whoops, I see it says "don't post...stuff like "I have the same problem too." etc." Hehe, feel free to delete this post. Was mostly put up since Entropy said he hadn't heard of anyone else having the problem. I don't seehow to delete the post or I would :blink:

Ahh, and thank you Grum, I will update them now and see what happens :)

(I am modifying this post as needed to avoid multiple posts)

Edited by Tanyia

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.