Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Cheating allowed? Or, no trading from same IP?

Cheating allowed? Or, no trading from same IP?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Cheating allowed? Or, no trading from same IP?

• I want cheating to be allowed.
    • I want the rule of no trading from the same IP.

Ok guys, this choice is completely in your hands. This poll will be up here for a few days, at the end it will be locked and the changes will take effect in the game.

You have two choices!

1. Allow a player, or players, from the same IP to trade with each other using the trade window feature.

Pros: People from the same family or who are on the same network can trade with each other, allowing them full enjoyment over the game.

Cons: There will be players who own mules, and will advance in this game by cheating; they will use the trade feature to their advantage and not play fairly. This means that if you like to advance in levels in the game with a fair fight you will no longer have it, because other people will cheat.

2. Dissallow trading with users from the same IP; this will also be coded so there really will be no way to trade from the same IP at all.

Pros: Cheating becomes much harder, and you have a much better chance to play the game fairly.

Cons: Honest players will suffer a bit in that they cannot trade with each other anymore.

Why was this situation brought up you ask? For these reasons:

1. We are too small of a team to be a policeforce on this game. We are wasting our time with hunting people from the same IP and punishing them if they have not declared their names on that thread in the forums.

2. There is no way to know for sure if the player is lying or not. Only a lot of evidence not in their favor shows that, but we still have a small chance to be wrong. I dont like punishing innocent people.

3. The tread "declaring all users from same IP" in the forums is utterly pointless. People can, and i'm sure have, lied about it. It's useless.

So, people, this is your game, choose wisely as it WILL be made into effect!

EDIT: Bag trading however IS and WILL be still allowed no matter what!!!

I cant vote on this1.. afcourse cheating isnt fair, but i stil wanna trade with korsakoff (play from same ip)

There should be a better solution, such as making only one client connect per computer at a time or something. But since this is the closest we can get, I want the no trading from same IP.

i think the second choice is the best one family's can still trade with help of a friend who has another IP as they have and cheaters have less chances to cheat once again. i mean it takes 30 seconds more trading with an extra person between you and that isn't so much.

and i think it's better that people play fair anyway, because ever since macroers got us the harvesting events people started disliking EL abit.

thats just my idea

Guest aragog20

Tho i play with my brother, i have to say cheating is wrong, and so it has to be..

stop people cheating.

Can you stop 'bag trading'?

If I would want to cheat, I could just run my mule bot from another location by remote.

Edit: Would it be possible to impelement a 'white list', like for bans?

Edited by belton

allow multiplaying.

it's not cheating anymore if everybody can do it, and it was never really controlable anyways.

get rid of the negative perks, make the attributes dependant on each others.

not more than let's say 20 difference between the highest and the lowest attribute.

if you want to mule, work for it. if someone leveled 2 characters honestly, let him profit from it.

:P

I still think that those who want to cheat will find the way to do this. And right now you show now faith in honesty of some people.

this Poll aint fair

1 people on a IP adress will Vote for No trade from same IP, cuz they dont care they are alone anyways.

2 people on a IP adress have no choice. they dont vote for option 2 ,cuz then u cant give something to your brother/sister or w/e..and Cheating is also a bad option.

Edited by Satan

you can click on the results without voting

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...0&mode=show&st=

I like freeones idea not to allow 2 clients connecting at the same time, however there are some pepole running 2 clients on a computer and not multiplaying.

The new rule would be more acceptable with an option to chceck somebodys (or at least mine) ip before trading.

Edited by Catz

You can still give stuff to your family memebrs or friends, just have to do a bag trade.

And it is also not possible to make it so you cannot run 2 clients on the same computer, reason being that this client is open source and can be modified to allow that.

If bag trading is allowed anyway, it doesn't matter if people can trade or not. Unless you want to encourage a group of bag-jumpers to keep them from bag-trading :lol:

There already was a better suggestion: To increase level required to take negative perks.

Then if someone will want to have a mule he needs to earn it, play, level up. Not after one

day I can have a mule that can carry 1k emu.

Regards.

You can still give stuff to your family memebrs or friends, just have to do a bag trade.

And it is also not possible to make it so you cannot run 2 clients on the same computer, reason being that this client is open source and can be modified to allow that.

Ok so if im walking in votd to kf , and i say fast to my bro, Yo give me a diss ring Quik!! then he have to make a bag for 1 ring in a crowed area ?

First, someone who really wants to cheat will find a way around it (I can think of several off the top of my head, but I'm a network admin...). Much like the "problem" of music and movie piracy, this will make it much harder for the average player to do legitimate trading, but not actually stop serious cheaters (and I'm regularly amazed at how far some people will go to cheat when the same amount of "real" work would have gotten them just as far).

Second, I still have not seen anyone provide a convincing argument as to how someone using a mule to level up faster really hurts me. Is there some sort of prize money for levelling that I'm not aware of?

Finally, I think with some brainstorming someone could come up with better ways to prevent cheating that doesn't have such a negative impact on legitimate players from the same IP (like so many families and roomates). I recognize that someone has to implement any solution into code, but that's presumably true of the proposed rule as well.

I think banning trading from players from the same IP-address won't help against cheaters, because bag trading is still possible. But it does inconvience honest players from the same IP-address. I like to be able to interact in a normal way with players from the same IP as me (Kylara).

I also think the poll question is very wrong. Vote to "allow cheating" or "no trading from the same IP". This presumes trading from the same IP is ALWAYS cheating. It is not. I am against cheating, but I don't think disallowing trading between players from the same IP is the solution.

The best reply I heard so far is from Soldus: explicitly allow multiple characters and their interaction, because you can't stop it anyway, so better make it legal so everyone can benefit from it. I don't like it very much, but is way better then taking messures that inconvenience honest players while not stopping the cheating that way.

I will try and come up with a better proposal, but untill then I'll vote "allow cheating".

DrCrusher

I've been playing for a year and i think the no trading from the same IP is a good rule. Bag trading is allowed and you can always get a friend to hold something long enough for someone on the same IP to retrieve it. I don't see what the problem is. There are alot of places that are good for bag trading. Besides, the muling issue, isn't this why most people join a guild? Team work? Not person next to me (maybe maybe not) helping me.

I voted for nothing, because theres no differences between both options.

Allow it and everybody is happy and you get rid from a lot of work checking trading.

Forbid it and allow bag trading and everybody is happy again and you have less work, because

ppl will then do bag trading between chars which cant do the normal trade.

See? No difference :P

And i have no better suggestion to make, unless im not really shure if running 2 chars and let them trade is cheating. One player must PLAY both chars, so he has worked for that.

Until we are not talking about an automated mule you can pm with "go and get me a load of coal."...

Piper

Ok so if im walking in votd to kf , and i say fast to my bro, Yo give me a diss ring Quik!! then he have to make a bag for 1 ring in a crowed area ?

good point.

In issue # 7 of The El Times will be a report on what can happen when a player is cheated by the same person using 2 characters playing EL at the same time. Yes they are named.

Cheaters will always find a way to cheat.

Most people are honest. Many people play from the same IP.

I think we shouldn't ban all the legitimate uses just to get rid of a few cheaters.

I don't like police state. Don't make many rules that forbid this or that and then run police, I mean mods to make everyone obey the rules or jail them, err, ban them.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Edit: misspellings

Edited by Chryzopraz

what if you give a clan mate some stuff like maybe 1k and you go to a different name and have them give you your 1k would that be violating the rule?

Guest skaar

how piper says, it makes no difference -> bag trading.

an other way to stop cheating is to reduce the emu of the ores by 1 and lower the time to manu/craft items. i dont use a mule, but i wish i have 1 when im sitting over 2h to polish gems or making rings.

if some1 use a mule, he have to lvl him up. for example: 1 player has an char to manu/craft and another char for fighting -> why they should not interact ? he profits from himself ? so u have the chance to do more things that interest u, for example fight and manu (with the new system u havent the chance to do both - time).