Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lachesis

Psychological issues of gender in Eternal Lands

People think that free is a girl?! It's just the avatar saying something about "Blah blah blah, you better learn to game with your toes" I think....

EDIT: My avatar is scaring me... <_<

Edited by goatsgomoo

People think that free is a girl?! It's just the avatar saying something about "Blah blah blah, you better learn to game with your toes" I think....

No, I wasn't talking about Freeone... :huh: Sure, he acts like like a little girl sometimes but I've never had any doubt of him being a guy. :) Another hint: The number has only 2 digits.

I hear that question all the time "are you m/f?" .. I just don't get it why things like that matter in an RPG. If someone asks me that I'm quite sure HE is under 18...

All of my true friends inside el never asked this question until we really got to know each other better, some still didn't ask me - and that's why we are friends, because personality counts, not being male or female.

All of my true friends inside el never asked this question until we really got to know each other better, some still didn't ask me - and that's why we are friends, because personality counts, not being male or female.

Well, that's why this was meant to be rather theoretical, though I noticed that the thread started to degrade into a guessing-round who is what gender. I cannot represent other speakers in this thread, but I did not mean discovered clues to be applied. I just thought inventing some could be fun ;) Anyway, remember not to disregard the serious (though not generalizeable) effect of gender on personality. To stress this, I will throw another clue candidate for discussion:

• Most achievers are male, and most males are achievers.

Now beat me :o

With regards,

Lachesis

I hear that question all the time "are you m/f?" .. I just don't get it why things like that matter in an RPG. If someone asks me that I'm quite sure HE is under 18...

:ph34r: It's the same here, and it is quite nerving to me. I always tell them that it's a role play game, so when they see a woman, it IS a woman, no matter what the characters player is in RL, the same holds true if they see a male character. But I never got asked this question while playing a male character, only when playing female characters.

I'm guessing those people as quite insensitive, also not necessarily a teen. And I'm also not sure whether this phenomenon is restricted to males :ph34r:

But I never got asked this question while playing a male character, only when playing female characters.

You played a female character? :ph34r: Oh my, can you trust anyone these days? :ph34r:

:ph34r: Hmm... I question the grammar and spelling bit. I think it relates more to age and profession. A 16 year old student will more likely type in alternating caps and abreviate every word into simple letters and numbers, while a 30 year old english professor would more likely punctuate correctly in most cases. Of course we all typo... It's the OCD ones that have to correct every mistake. Hehe.

:ph34r: So, to anyone who is familiar with my posts, am I morelike a girl or a guy? I generally punctuate and spell correctly, with normally correct grammar, (unless I'm intentionally mimicing l33t kIdDiEs). But on the other hand, I'm an aggressive debater and brutally honest to the point that I often don't take personal feelings into account when posting, (truth hurts, deal with it), like a guy posting. And, of course, do I seem more of a laborer, techie, or fast food service sort of person?

EDIT: :lol: And, before it is brought up, the signature doesn't necessarily denote my gender either. Am I a male who with a cheuvanistic sig, or a female mocking male cheuvanistic ideas?

Edited by The_Pale_Elf

Well, it kinda does matter, because if somebody is unhappy enough with their own body to lie about their gender, then it's a little disturbing. If you have it, flaunt it, ya know?

Pshaw. Unquote this part!

And also, age does not change typing skills. I am fifteen, but type words and punctuation, while I know a few people over my age -coughentropycough- who will write in "leet speak."

Edited by TheNewestNewbie

:blink: Thanx for the vote of confidence, Newest. lol EDIT: We need more variation in smilies. I want a frown that isn't really pissed off at anyone...

:blink: Entropy seems to take teh l33tsp3@k and make it part of his own personal style. I think style is important, as it helps define you as a poster, or even in PM's. Without it, we're just typing words... Since the net has no tone to convey.

:blink: I actually thought Chatterbug was a guy while I was overhearing him/her in VotD one day. Then I saw him/her post about a female bot, and wondered... I still think guy, tho I suppose I could be wrong.

:lol: There is the issue of language barriers... I remember one time in market channel, Platyna referred to herself as a "he" (during some of her offtopic talking, I believe?) and everyone goes WHAT?? I asked her in PM if she was m/f, and she ended up telling me that morderator is a maculine word, so she referred to herself as the moderator, in masculine form. (I can't argue, I don't speak Polish.)

Edited by The_Pale_Elf

Edit: Pale Elf, I'm positive you're a 12-year-old male, much like freeone, who will grow to be gay, but is currently under the influence of "cooties."

Don't flame.

Edit: Pale Elf, I'm positive you're a 12-year-old male, much like freeone, who will grow to be gay, but is currently under the influence of "cooties."

Where did that come from?

;) Thanx for the vote of confidence, Newest. lol You only say that because you don't like me personally, from the other thread. EDIT: We need more variation in smilies. I want a frown that isn't really pissed off at anyone...

Sorry, you should know by now that I do not dislike you.

Daxon, I didn't flame him.

Freeone, disregard anything I say.

NewestNewbie stop playing RPGs if you thing it's disturbing when people are pretending to be someone or something else.

this ain't no chatroom, this is ROLEplaying.

Edited by kl4Uz

Well, it kinda does matter, because if somebody is unhappy enough with their own body to lie about their gender, then it's a little disturbing.

:lol: Oh, why limit it to gender? I'm ashamed that I'm a human, so I play an elf on the game... (Sorry guys, I'm really not a pale elf...)

<_< Actually, if someone does have a problem with being their gender, and that's why they play another one in a game, that's a need for a lil therapy. But that's not why most people play the opposite gender.

But that's not why most people play the opposite gender.

perking up her ears What are the popular reasons? :huh:

Edited by Lachesis