Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest runescape.com

pking suggestions

Guest runescape.com

Ok, the pking thing is totally unfair! a lvl ...80 overall comes and attacks a lvl 20 overall... how can that happen? i was thinking that you cpuld make the pking area into sections of deepness. for example, the more north u went, the higher your "danger level" if you were in level 1 danger level, someone 1 level above you , below you, or the same level could attack you. But in level 5 danger level, you could attack someone up to 5 levels above, below or ur same level. Also, itd be cool if the made more combat things. like, they could expand magic, so it could have a good effect on those wearing armor. however, you could make a ranger class who owned mages easily. Then melee people would kill rangers. This would make a sort of triangle and fairness. this wopuld also provide use for new essenses. This also could provide a reason to make more things liek wizard robes, dragon hide chaps, warm leather vamrbraces... and so on. Also, itd be nice if they took food level out, at least in pking area. Because if your down to 2 hp, and u gotta wait a long time until your health recovers, ull be dead.

Just so you know "runescape" dude, :lol: ...Overall lvl Doesnt mean ANYTHING in this AWESOME game,go back to rs where you belong...

How about,just dont go into a pking map,until your strong enough to deal with the consequences? Solves your problems,doesnt it? <_<

Guest runescape.com

lol. i canme to this game and not to runescape because it is awesome. i was just suggesting they could modify the pking. that would make the game all the more AWESOME.

well runescape dude heres a hint might give u the answer u need make a poll on the pk map's ask wich way is better ur way or the way it is i bet all the ppl(exept for some guys) will vote its ok now and it rlly is ok....u just have to make friends who are strong or a good reputation that way ull prefent being pked all the time.... :P

greetz sniperj89

1. I believe the name "runescape.com" is in violation of the rules:

6. No spamming allowed. Do not advertise products here, etc.

Anyway, if you want to be taken seriously, at least pick that we can take seriously. Otherwise, expect this thread to degenerate into a flame thread and be moved into the flames section very soon.

2. If you like this game so much better than runescape, why do you suggest making it just like runescape? Most people here don't like runescape, and don't want to see their favorite game degenerate into a clone of runescape.

3. If you can't PK people who are much lower than yourself, what's the point of leveling up? People like DonPedro would be unable to PK anyone, unless he made a new character, and started over, carefully avoiding leveling it up too much. And everytime he PK's enough people to gain one level too much, he would again have to start over, as would anyone who wants to be a PK'er, because there is no way you can PK without gaining exp, and no way to level down.

4. Only being able to kill people of the same strength as yourself is not very realistic, is it? Do you think if you walk through some dark alley in certain american cities, that the big guys are not going to touch you, but only the ones who are the same "level" as yourself?

learn how to use disengage rings and move fast :P

Unfortunately, this particular rule doesn't pertain to player names. You could call yourself "Coke cola" but it doesn't count as Advertising.

Anyway, I don't like the "Danger Levels," not because it's like Runescape but because I don't like its very realistic or "fair" itself. Also, general Rule to remember, what may work for one game won't necessarily work for another. Even if EL was set up like that, it wouldn't work the way you want it to. It just works different and on a whole different level.

On the other hand, I am all for changing the Fighting system of this game! I think the current system is Cheap, Degrading, Restrictive, and overall Generally Pathetic! With players restricted to combat only in selective Maps, it's completely unrealistic and makes combat next to pointless and an empty game that is no fun except to overly bored. And since the only point of Pking in the game is to fight so you can Pk some more, any player above 60 such as DonPedro are stuck in a completely stagnate environment that they have themselves created through Power Gaming and growing faster then the game itself.

And the current Monster Environment leaves nothing to the gaming aspect as every monster is openly available, Grouped into tight, selective “Training†Levels, the only purpose for the monster is for player’s Just to train, leaving the general Fighting system to be a ridged and cold system that only allow for players to gain exp as the only purpose.

And the worst thing of all: People actually Like it this way!

My quick 2-cents:

I personally don't like Runescape. Period. There's various reasons. I do however have to admit that it, like many other RPG's has some good features. I don't think the "danger level" idea such as in RS's wilderness is a good idea. In EL, the PK system isn't really flawed except that there are a very limited amount of PK'ers. Like most RPG's in the early stages and even later on, balance of gameplay is the issue here. You wanna PK someone close to your level? Look on the site at who's online, check their levels and challenge them. Don't tell me that the PK areas are too crowded to find a place to fight in solitude, I walk through them all the time and rarely run into ANYONE at all. Perhaps an in-game system of seeing someone's combat level might be used. Perhaps a Combat Level = Att+Def/2. Then color code it either by range (3-10 green, 11-25 blue, etc) or by relativity (4 CL higher is red, 2 +/- is orange, 4 lower is green, etc)

There's still the risk that the person has perks/items that can shift the battle in his/her direction against you, even if you thought you had the advantage. You'd still have to be careful walking in those areas, but I'd guess a lot of really high level PK'rs aren't gonna waste time fighting someone who's significantly weaker. Then again, with enough people, maybe the PK system will self-balance. Right now there's around 200 people online at any one time from what I can tell. that's not enough to really maintain a strong PK system with as many PK maps as we have EVEN if EVERYONE PK'd.

The problem with monsters is the exact same as the main root to the pk problem in my opinion. Number of participants. Until we get more monsters and a larger variety, we're gonna have a "stagnant feel" to the game. It happens in BETA games a lot.

I've been beta testing games, especially RPG's for a while now and you have to understand a few basic rules:

1) The creators are gonna be somewhat hesitant to reuse an idea from another game. They are, after all, trying to create a NEW game that can be seperate and distinguishable from the rest of the mob.

2) Almost all game developers very intently look into suggestions from their testers and players, especially during beta. The ones that don't...usually fail.

3) This one is the most important about beta testing: Patience is a Virtue. Eventually everything will come around, especially with a community like this. I've found that Community and teamwork is what makes a game successful more than anything else.

Ok, that's my 2-cents...or is that about 6 dollars? who knows

Sincerely,

Goliath

LOL,Sry about going all crazy about leaving EL and stuff,Cause obviously you like us...Just try to change your name to something else,or you'll get flamed ALOT,lol. Whats your ingame name? Hopefully not runescape something,:(

Unfortunately, this particular rule doesn't pertain to player names. You could call yourself "Coke cola" but it doesn't count as Advertising.

Where does it say that it doesn't apply to names? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't like the "Danger Levels," not because it's like Runescape but because I don't like its very realistic or "fair" itself. Also, general Rule to remember, what may work for one game won't necessarily work for another. Even if EL was set up like that, it wouldn't work the way you want it to. It just works different and on a whole different level.

On the other hand, I am all for changing the Fighting system of this game! I think the current system is Cheap, Degrading, Restrictive, and overall Generally Pathetic! With players restricted to combat only in selective Maps, it's completely unrealistic and makes combat next to pointless and an empty game that is no fun except to overly bored. And since the only point of Pking in the game is to fight so you can Pk some more, any player above 60 such as DonPedro are stuck in a completely stagnate environment that they have themselves created through Power Gaming and growing faster then the game itself.

And the current Monster Environment leaves nothing to the gaming aspect as every monster is openly available, Grouped into tight, selective “Training†Levels, the only purpose for the monster is for player’s Just to train, leaving the general Fighting system to be a ridged and cold system that only allow for players to gain exp as the only purpose.

And the worst thing of all: People actually Like it this way!

Errrr yes, I agree with Leeloo, where in the world do you see that advertising does not apply to names?

Also, in response to this part of your post...

With players restricted to combat only in selective Maps, it's completely unrealistic and makes combat next to pointless and an empty game that is no fun except to overly bored.

There are quite a few games out there where pking IS allowed on all maps...anybody who needs that for excitement should be there. <_< I would suggest that the vast majority of players here are happy that pking is restricted to certain maps...not everybody who plays a rpg game wants to pk. This is one of the charms of EL...something for everybody.

I know a game where there is NO safe places, there are ports and stations but they can be raided and then your PKable again :-P (I know atleast a few other people know this game, but I wont advertise it here for obvious reasons).

Where does it say that it doesn't apply to names? :D

Because a Name is a name. So long as it isn't Blatently Offensive or otherwise Prohibied, You can name yourself whatever you darn well choose....... Regardless even of whether or not someone else likes your name, "LeeLoo"! This is the same reason names aren't typically screened upon registeration, both on the forums as well as in the game. You can not exclude someone's choice in a name simply because you may not like where it's from.

As for the rule, it's namely meant to include One's Posts and general Content of that post. If Runescape.com were to include a Link in his post or even promote his name as a advertisement within his posts, then it would be violating the rules.

There are quite a few games out there where pking IS allowed on all maps...anybody who needs that for excitement should be there.  I would suggest that the vast majority of players here are happy that pking is restricted to certain maps...not everybody who plays a rpg game wants to pk. This is one of the charms of EL...something for everybody.

Which this goes toward Inproving the General Fighting System. I once posted a perfectly acceptable and functional Way to change the Pk system to include all maps without forcing Players to Pk if the choose not to, which involved a Challenge/Accept system as well as Player Penalties. I've never actualy got a very worthwhile answer as to just why they didn't like it but one cock-eyed, half-baked reason I was given was that they didn't want Players to be able to constantly train with little chance of losing their items. I have yet to here an explaination as to what that means or how it'd affect the system in any way other then the current one.

If I can find it again, I'll repost it.

Well I guess I'm curious what the huge difference would be between all maps being pkable but only with permission, or going to a specified pk map in which the very fact you are entering it implies permission. Why go through a huge amount of trouble to get the exact same result?

Another thing is that there is a certain inherent danger when you enter a PK map to train. You might end up training against something quite a bit stronger than you. Where as with the challenge/Accept method, you could screen their stats on the site prior to accepting and only fight those that you would have a better than average chance with.

Sincerely,

Goliath

Well I guess I'm curious what the huge difference would be between all maps being pkable but only with permission, or going to a specified pk map in which the very fact you are entering it implies permission. Why go through a huge amount of trouble to get the exact same result?

The Simplest and most straight forward answer I can give you: Role Playing!

Why should Newbies have to start out kicking rabbits when all they want to do is brawl with a friend? Giving the Players who only want to fight with a Training Partner the ability to actually fight each other One on One without having to trek half way across the continent to get to a Pk map, only to find yourself facing down Spock or some other indescrimadant Pker with no respect for someone just there to train.

Why should Fighters be so distantly removed from the rest of the EL sociaty? Most fighters have Pk Maps all to themselves as though they are "Lords of the Badlands" as though Pk maps are their own little domain, only returning to the Populated Cities to restock and then they're off again.

Why can't I walk up to some Jerk who's spamming all other the place and give him a swift kick in the rear! Ok, That's just an nice added perk but it would be nice sometimes. It's just that we Should just be able to do this! I mean, to me, it just makes perfect sense. It's as simple as Picking a flower! We should be able to fight on the spot, if we so choose.

Because a Name is a name. So long as it isn't Blatently Offensive or otherwise Prohibied, You can name yourself whatever you darn well choose....... Regardless even of whether or not someone else likes your name, "LeeLoo"! This is the same reason names aren't typically screened upon registeration, both on the forums as well as in the game. You can not exclude someone's choice in a name simply because you may not like where it's from.

As for the rule, it's namely meant to include One's Posts and general Content of that post. If Runescape.com were to include a Link in his post or even promote his name as a advertisement within his posts, then it would be violating the rules.

First, we do actually screen the names, or try to. You have no idea how many get asked to rename themselves for various reasons. And we do have rules about the names, you might want to go back and read the game rules. Also, one doesn't go purchase a can of Leeloo at one's local market...hardly a relevant example. It isn't about refusing a name because we don't like it, it is about questioning a name that possibly breaks a rule of the game.

Secondly, how do you know that the rule is namely meant to include one's posts and general content? Where do you see that said? Did entropy tell only you?

In other online games, most of them that have "PK on all maps except for small green zones" are games that fighting is the dominant thing to do, sometimes the only thing. But in Eternal Lands, it's possible to do more than just PK: You can become a fiery summoner or a peaceful harvester, or even more depending on your preferences. Why try to change this game to fighting only?

First, we do actually screen the names, or try to. You have no idea how many get asked to rename themselves for various reasons. And we do have rules about the names, you might want to go back and read the game rules. Also, one doesn't go purchase a can of Leeloo at one's local market...hardly a relevant example. It isn't about refusing a name because we don't like it, it is about questioning a name that possibly breaks a rule of the game.

Secondly, how do you know that the rule is namely meant to include one's posts and general content? Where do you see that said? Did entropy tell only you?

Simple. There are Rules of Society! You cannot discriminate given someone's choice in name by by assuming the meaning of someone's name or their intention.

Also, one doesn't go purchase a can of Leeloo at one's local market...hardly a relevant example. 

On the contrary, perfect example. Her name means nothing to anybody but herself while her name could still be interpreted by many who actually take the time to ponder the other means to her name. Thus is no different then anyone else's name, so long as as their name is not a Blantant Violation with no room for interpretation. But as for Advertising, her Avatar does more for that then her name, as does many others' in these forums.

For example, My name can be interpreted as though I'm calling myself GOD! Besides stepping on countless religious Beliefs and spitting in the eye of almost every religious person on these boards, My name could be interpreted as though I'm advertising my own religion. Of course, I'm not but when you start getting so strict as to start judging names under every possible context, then it's the same as discrimination.

It isn't about refusing a name because we don't like it, it is about questioning a name that possibly breaks a rule of the game. 

Thus, there is no dilemma. "RuneScape.com" is only a bunch of Letters grouped together to form what was chosen as this person's name. It means nothing to nobody besides to this person and anybody curious enough to ponder the meaning of the name. It's not saying anything of consequence to anyone reading it.

If this person Chose a name such as “Play R********" or This Game S**ks†then it would violate the rules. Otherwise, just calling oneself the name of one of your minor competitors is less a Violation and more an minor irritant to your own ego. It might be a spit in the eye for some but His name isn't so much Advertising as much as it is just being annoying. If your so upset about it, just have the dude remove the ".com" from the end. There! No more Advertising.

And this is the reason I said it only pertains to a person's Post. What you say in your post is by far the most and singularly important thing that you say, not just what your name means. My Point is thus proven by the fact this post has been derailed from a legiatimate Topic into a Topic about a person's name. If this doesn't Prove the importance of sticking to the subject of a person's Post, and not what their name is.

Anyway. Just drop it. There are far more important things to discuss.

Well, I won't really comment big on the extreme change of topic going from PKing suggestions to name violations.. but Daxon is apparently the name of a Clothing Line (daxon.com). Just so all parties know, I'm not advertising that thing, as the website seems to have come out AFTER I started using this alias in '99. Business was opened in '47 supposedly, yet I've never heard of it. :P

Edited by Daxon