Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mikeman

Interface icon problem

Ok, a source code patch can be found at http://grum.antiroot.homedns.org/tabs.patch . Apart from what's listed below, I think it's working as it should, but since one can never be sure please test it extensively.

Listing known problems here:

* hotkeys for knowledge and stats window don't work. [FIXED]

* Didn't include the makefile in the patch, so you'll have to add tabstats.o to the build targets yourself

Edited by Grum

*) Tabbed windows are now optional. Change the default of using the tabbed window by setting #use_tabbed_windows to 0 in el.ini, or by passing -tabs 0 to the program.

*) As part of the update, the knowledge and questlog windows now use vscrollbars instead of having their own code

*) Since I see no further problems, I'll commit it myself after making this post.

Alright, so with this then we can get rid of some icons...I suggest keeping the BOOK icon for all these, it seems to fit the most, eh?

I think that it would be a good idea to keep the ? (help) icon however, as it will make things easier for newbies, the ? is something everyone will know right off the bat. So we just need a window for the HELP icon. Perhaps we can have tabs though inside the help window for different help sections to be easier?

-Commands

-Tips

-Interface

Does that sound good? Instead of shoving everything into the encyclopedia.

Alright, so with this then we can get rid of some icons...I suggest keeping the BOOK icon for all these, it seems to fit the most, eh?

I don't know. Since the three windows that are now collected in the new tabbed window are all related to things you achieved in the game, I kept the stats icon for it. Anyway, it can easily be changed if you wish.

I think that it would be a good idea to keep the ? (help) icon however, as it will make things easier for newbies, the ? is something everyone will know right off the bat. So we just need a window for the HELP icon. Perhaps we can have tabs though inside the help window for different help sections to be easier?

-Commands

-Tips

-Interface

What I did was replace the encyclopedia icon with the question mark (which, again, can easily be reverted). Is it a good idea to have two different places to look for help? Perhaps it's better to merge the help and encyclopedia windows into one tabbed window. Default tab would be help, which would give you some initial information. The other tab would be the encyclopedia as it is now, with full information on the game. The existing keyboard shortcut for the encyclopedia would still keep working. For people that prefer not to use tabbed windows, we could still implement a separate help window. If we do this, we shouldn't use tabs in the help window of course, since tabs in tabs, though technically easy to realize, would look bad. What do you think about this proposal?

Edited by Grum

Done. You will need to place the new Help.xml file in languages/en/Encyclopedia directory, and you'll have to update index.xml. Files:

http://grum.antiroot.homedns.org/index.xml

http://grum.antiroot.homedns.org/Help.xml

Not that there's not much content in the help file yet. I'll leave that up to you :)

Edited by Grum

Your additions look quite good imho james. I think the encyc window is already quite full, so why not move some parts of the help to a separate tab? It's still in the same window. And it should not be that hard to use the guides you made so far as the help file. If you look at the one grum provided, you see that it's actually virtually empty :D

I think the image would be a great addition to the Interface section of the help. My only concern is that I'm not sure if everything will be visible, if not, we'll have to code around it. (Oh, and replace the "b" in "hoursbin a day" with a space :) ). As for what is missing, I wouldn't know. I was waiting for Roja to tell us what should go into the help window, but since you're already more familiar with the encyclopedia than I am, it would be better if you could take care of that.

(Oh, and replace the "b" in "hoursbin a day" with a space ;) ).

Search stuff that add and not there but as said need wait roja tell what next.

(Oh, and replace the "b" in "hoursbin a day" with a space :o ).

In your picture, in the text under the heading "Game clock".

(Oh, and replace the "b" in "hoursbin a day" with a space :o ).

In your picture, in the text under the heading "Game clock".

I can't see what talk in screenshot I took or search in general.xml can't find it but oh well

The stuff that should go in the Help Window are as follows:

Category(each category would be a new tab)

-commands (take from list on website)

-interface (take from website, explaination of all interface items)

-tips & tricks (tips to get started, for newbies)

-chat systems (explaination of channels, pms and such)

-Misc. (misc info can go here, like explaining that the yellow name beside some people's names are guild tags, etc.)

I can also post this on another forum, asking players what tips & tricks should go in here for newbies and such.

ok will try do that formatted that way

last part I would appreciate that

Edited by jamesvm

ok will try do that formatted

each category would be a new tab

No, they wouldn't. Since the Help and Encyclopedia are already in one window with two tabs, an extra layer of tabs would only be confusing.

ok will try do that formatted
each category would be a new tab

No, they wouldn't. Since the Help and Encyclopedia are already in one window with two tabs, an extra layer of tabs would only be confusing.

oh though within want change names in it

bu agreed with grum it would confusse stuff lot more if did that way

Edited by jamesvm