Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sheik

Duel feature implementation

Well, those different "rules" for different types of fights were what the arena contets are supposed to do. Having a NPC as a referee, even with some fun dialogue :unsure:

[...] If they gain exp it MUST I mean MUST be a fight to the death otherwise it's free exp! However, it can be gain no exp and NO fight to the death..but that's more what hte arena contests will be for.[...]

Oops, yes I got that point :0)

I think it would be a good thing to both introduce a minimum interval between duels and restrict the duelling areas, because

a) without the interval duelling areas might become too crowded

:D without restricted areas storage areas might become more crowded -- you always have to adjust your inventory before you start a duel ...

EDIT: The no weapon/ no potion a.s.o. problem might be overcome "easily" (in terms of UI simplicity, not dev complexity :D ) by a show-inventory/clothing feature, *maybe* upon another mutual agreement, similar to the checkboxes in trading window, maybe in a second window after a checkbox has been chosen. The advantage of this is that you don't need to care about all the various kinds of duel restrictions that players might invent, you can give them all the freedom they want at once :)

Sincerely yours / Lachesis

Edited by Lachesis

Ok, I think we should make our minds up about this guys.

Here are the options once again:

1. No exp gained, items can be lost when you die, fleeing allowed.

2. Exp gained, items can be lost, fleeing NOT allowed.

3. No exp gained, no items lost, fleeing NOT allowed.

I think those are the best 3 options..if someone has others, then say so.

Remember, there will be arena contests-that is when there will be different types of fights and rules for them. The duel system should be much much more simpler than arena contests.

I'd say #2 (and perhaps disable dueling on IP). There's not much fun in dueling if you don't gain exp, but going through the underworld every once in a while might keep it under control a bit.

Only if I you are ok with me still adding a few words. I think that #3 responds most to the sense of a duel. #2 responds more to a use for training. I don't know any application for #1. Why not make the choice an option?

With regards

Lachesis

Well, I think it's important for us to think of anyways these systems may be abused. I think they're all pretty good choices, and I don't particulary care which we go with..so...it all comes down to which is best for EL.

I dont like the idea of implementing duels, just make more places that are PK... what i ment is... if you want to fight another player Arena is a good place for that... just make some houses PK (but non multicombat). Dueling is pointless when youi can not loos stuff, pointelss when you can not gain exp... The "killing" part of the game should make your adrenaline lvl raise. But if you duel and can not loos your items whats the point of having that duel ? Now when you want to train with your friend you must be aware of someone who might try to kill both of you (when you go to a PK map) duels will distroy the fun for PKers. Ah and just cant wait when near some storage or beam i get whole screen field with:

noob_A wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept
noob_B wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept
cruel_noob_C wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept
D_noob wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept
mastah_killah_noob_E wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept
F_u_c_noob wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept
G_anja_noob wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept
H_runofideas_noob wants to duel you, click duel on him to accept

well, one could add a system where each side would have to put up some item, and where the winner gets em both.

or add a command that tells the server to automaticly reject all duel requests...

Alright, so what are all your final thoughts about this duel thing? We really should get it setteled now.

I think either of these would work:

1. No exp gained, items can be lost when you die, fleeing allowed.

2. Exp gained, items can be lost, fleeing NOT allowed.

We can also make it so on IP there is no dueling allowed, or at least not in a broad area around the beam.

Nr. 2, definitely.I don't really see the point of fighting when you don't loose items or don't gain exp, but by making sure that everyone has to go one round through hell, it can't be abused too much for training. Especially if you don't allow it on IP.

Agreed, you may also consider a timer after a fight is done. like 2 min so that it cannot be abused. But the No-IP dueling and walk through the underworld should fix that.

Ok, so it will be this:

-Exp gained, items can be lost, fleeing NOT allowed

-No dueling on IP or the Underworld

...We will need a new icon at the bottom for this, which makes me think that we need to group the icons to get things a bit more organized. I'll do some thinking on this again.

Ok, so it will be this:

-Exp gained, items can be lost, fleeing NOT allowed

-No dueling on IP or the Underworld

...We will need a new icon at the bottom for this, which makes me think that we need to group the icons to get things a bit more organized. I'll do some thinking on this again.

why use fight icon for this.(because can't fighter player in non pk area)so non pk it start process to duel someone.

hmm....i guess that would be alright.

But what about the theoretical possibility that one would want to duel on a PK map?

yeah that's what i was thinking--what if you wanted to duel on a pk map, but it is pointless really. So, I guess that using the attack icon would be alright, i dont see any problems atm.

Edit: I was also thinking, it will get highly annoying for some people to keep getting the message "PlayerX wants to duel with you! Click on him/her to accept!", as someone else pointed out. So, what about having an option to make yourself never accept duels?(unless you turn that option off of course). It can be another button in the config panel I guess? and a command: #duels_on, #duels_off.

If you have #duels_off, then the player who clicks to duel with you would get a message: PlayernameB doesn't want to duel.

yeah that's what i was thinking--what if you wanted to duel on a pk map, but it is pointless really. So, I guess that using the attack icon would be alright, i dont see any problems atm.

Edit: I was also thinking, it will get highly annoying for some people to keep getting the message "PlayerX wants to duel with you! Click on him/her to accept!", as someone else pointed out. So, what about having an option to make yourself never accept duels?(unless you turn that option off of course). It can be another button in the config panel I guess? and a command: #duels_on, #duels_off.

If you have #duels_off, then the player who clicks to duel with you would get a message: PlayernameB doesn't want to duel.

A VERY good idea!

Does this mean, whenever I put #duels_on into my el.ini and somebody clicks on me for duelling, that I automatically accept and start fighting? Imho that's no god idea. There should always both parties need to agree to the duel.

Maybe we can add a third option #duel_ask where you always get asked whether you want to participate in duel or not.

No, that is not what it means. #duels_on would simply mean you would get the message "PlayerA challenges you to a duel! Click on him to Duel!"

Exactly like the trade message/screen.

Ok, then this would be very nice. Instead of using two different options in el.ini (#duel_on and #duel_off) I would rather suggest the way immerenties said, that is we would use one option #duel and give it a value of 0 or 1 depending on whether a player wants it or not:

#duel = 0 and #duel =1 resp.

for the ini file, certainly....but i was talking about dynamic in game commands with the #duels_on #duels_off thing. Of course i'm not a coder so those are just suggestions. the programmers will do what is best.

In-game commands can also have parameters, like for example the %limit_fps 50 command. So we could use #duel = 0/1 in el.ini and %duel 0/1 in-game