Eternal Lands Official Forums

Okay I suggested that the #jc 1 command be disabled after one person has been playing for two months, and that they can only join channel one if a moderator allows them to (Like a #allow #jc 1 Kala or something).

Kit liked the idea, but didn't know if mods would be able to judge if someone had honorable intentions.

you co

So maybe make another set of powers to have channel 1 restricted to everybody but newbies, moderators, official newbie helpers, and maybe a set of people who don't have powers, but can join channel 1.

These people wouldn't be able to mute/kick/etc., because that would be an official helper.

Or maybe just limit access to channel one so that people can only say X amount of things for X amount of time.

The current system works fine, but when there are no NHs on a certain channel, spam starts and this would just be a way to prevent too much off topic in the wrong areas.

A last idea would be so that only people who have been playing for 2 months or less can ask, and then everybody else would have to PM the answers to them.

The main difficulty with that suggestion lies with the definition of "newbie", and the different types of players in EL. For example, some players may only be able to play for an hour a week, and hence may still be considered newbies, even after 2 months. Others, of course, could learn everything there is to know about the game within 1 week of dedicated playing. There really is no way of determining where the newbie line should be drawn. Sometimes, even experienced players may come to the channel to ask for help, especially if they're venturing into a new skill, or exploring the changes made in a new update.

The real problem lies with the moderation of the channel, of course, and how the NHs do their jobs. That's something all of us need to think about, I guess.

-Lyn-

A last idea would be so that only people who have been playing for 2 months or less can ask, and then everybody else would have to PM the answers to them.

Well the other ideas sound good but this last one, because an answer on the channel benefits everyone on the channel. There are some people who for some reason might not want to ask some particular question on the channel but rather wait until someone else asks it.

I agree with Elise about the PM idea. Many a time helpers will answer en masse to a question or even take an answer and build upon it. That "team work" really helps some of the noobs.

The real problem lies with the moderation of the channel, of course, and how the NHs do their jobs. That's something all of us need to think about, I guess.

-Lyn-

Well not exactly, because as you can see from this thread even moderated channels come under fire by people who just have to challenge anything and everything: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11521

The 2 major problems of channel moderating are:

1) Always having somebody online to handle it

2) People who challenge a moderators decision and do not respect the decision made. And we all know people like that, no matter how reasonable the mute or kick or warning was, people are gonna shout "abuse" "not fair" "hey, he did it, why can't I" etc...

The only problem I can see with kala's suggestion is getting good coverage round the clock...not counting whatever programming limitations there are, I know nothing of that.

Okay, so the two-month time doesn't work. I would say how about a command which mods can use to judge, but it would take too long to type a command for everybody.

Back to the drawing board?

Does anybody else have a way to make the idea more appealing?

I hate to say this... but what about a police state?

Ok... maybe not quite that harsh... but Mod / NH decisions should be FINAL. I understand that even the best intentions can get out of hand. And maybe Roja or the Mods can randomly monitor or randomly ask for chat logs on Mute/Kick decisions for quality control.

But the idea that players can scream "abuse" at the drop of a hat gets old. And it dilutes the REAL offenses.