Eternal Lands Official Forums
goliath_cobalt

Click Walking Bug

Oops, thought I was logged in, that's me above

Also, I of course meant, ctrl-rightclick allows me to walk.

Finally, running EL on the same system under WinXP, everything works just fine.

Update (2005-02-01):

I installed EL on my gentoo box at work (using the ebuild), which is slightly different from my home machine, and left-click to walk doesn't work there either.

Edited by inkydoo

I've now tried the gentoo ebuild on three different machines (all Dell, but diff. models) and I can't walk by left clicking on any of them. Just for grins, I tried various USE flags (in particular I thought installing the mapeditor might help), but no luck.

I'll be happy to run the game under strace or gdb to help debug this problem, but someone will need to tell me what options to run it with, etc. as I'm not a C programmer and rarely use these tools.

Hello,

I have the same click and move problem. Ctrl+right click works for me, but is pretty annoying. My specs are Gentoo, 2.6 kernel, ATi 8.8.25, Xorg 6.8.0. The same issue was also with ATi 3.14.x and Xorg 6.7.0.

-darcus

This is strange, I can't verify this on my gentoo box. I don't have any black backgrounds, and the left click is working as supposed to be, both with cvs client as well as with the ebuilded client.

Are you sure, you are using the walk icon, and not the use icon accidentally? It seems, that the icons are always changing to use icon, after you clicked something on your quickbar, or in inventory window. At least that's the case with me. Can you please try to switch through the available icons with right-click and try again with several different icon states and tell whether it works or not?

Can you please try to switch through the available icons with right-click and try again with several different icon states and tell whether it works or not?

Hello,

Did some testing. I'm sure I'm using the walk icon. I can left-click the icons and choose eg. the use icon. And as you said, the icon changes to walk icon and then nothing happens. If I have the walk icon and point on a door, the avatar starts to move as I would expect; moving to the house. If I press anywhere else, nothing happens.

I'm using a three button Logitech USB mouse.

-darcus

I tried a couple of different mice, all with three "buttons" (where the middle button is the wheel), some usb and some PS/2 with the same result But, of course, it's not that left clicking doesn't work. It does everything else it's supposed to do except make me walk. As Darcus said, if I left click on a door, it walks toward the door and exits. If I left click a harvestable item, it starts harvesting, etc. It's only when I want to left click to walk that nothing happens.

it doesn't seem to me that it's a hardware issue or I would expect to have the same trouble in Windows, but that's not the case.

Oh, and just for grins, I treid it under icewm instead of gnome (which I normally use) and same problem, so it doesn't seem to be window environment or manager related.

Note that, unlike erikas, I'm not seeing any missing floors or dispaly issues, only the walking problem.

Mal, what version of X and which kernel are you using on your gentoo machine?

I'm using ck-sources-2.6.10-r5 and xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 atm. I remember to had some similiar problem some time ago (only the walking bug, not the texture related stuff). But it usually went away, after I moved one step using the home key, and was not a general problem, but only in some, to me unrelated, cases.

Guest Guest

I have exactly the same problem, I'm unable to click to walk anywhere. Ctrl+right button works great, so does clicking on the map. I can left click all clickable items in game too, just not click to walk. I'm not having any texture problems like some of the previous posts.

I'm running

Gentoo Linux

xorg-x11-6.8.2

ati-drivers-8.10.19

kde-3.3.2

I have tried two other computers here at home and one at work. The game works perfectly on all of them, the only difference between those and the one giving me the problems is that the others have nvidia, and the computer giving me the problems has an ATI card.

Anyways, this is not exactly a show stopper for me, since I can play using the Ctrl+right button, or use one of the computers with Nvidia. But it sure would be nice to see the game working on all my boxes.

I'd be curious to know of all those people with this problem, who is using ATI?

thanks

Guest Eide

Same problem here: ctrl-right mouse only works to walk.

Similiar enviroment as previous:

64 Bit Gentoo Linux kernel 2.6.10-r1 on AMD64 3200+

Xorg-X11-6.8.2-r1

Radeon 9700 Pro card with latest ati-drivers-8.10.19

Gnome 2.8.1-r1

Game is working so I'm happy just to play a 3d mmorpg like this, but sure would be nice to have full functionality.

This is very strange, and we can't see what's wrong because none of our systems manifest this problem.

If someone that has this problem could debug it for us, it would be great!

How many people here are using either older video cards or integrated? I've found that the integrated video on at least two computers doesn't like it very much. There might be a relation to the capability differences between what an integrated vid and an actual AGP can handle that is the core here. I just got a new computer with an ATI RADEON 9600 and have had no problems.

FYI,

My setup is:

- Club 3D R9600XT (on AGP)

- nForce2 motherboard

- Gentoo

- kernel 2.6.7

- ati-drivers 8.8.25

- Gnome 2.8.2

- X.org 6.8.0 (-r14)

...and no walking except when ctrl+right-click.

-darcus

Guest DrakenKorin

I'm having the problem described here.

I have a clevo laptop (http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/M375E.asp) with radeon mobility 9600.

I'm running debian sid, xfree 4.3, ati driver 8.10.19

I have some experience with c and c++ coding and debugging if I can be any help fixing the problem...

AFAIK the functions in question are click_in_windows() and click_in_window() in elwindows.c. If you can start there with debugging could be of some help.

Confirmed.

click_in_window () then calls the click handler of the window it is processing (if there is any), which *should* be the game root window in this case. If it does not end up in click_game_handler () in gamewin.c, then something went wrong early on in the process.

Okay, searching for the bug, I came across this: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=66 . Could this be the problem? A click with the walk cursor calls get_world_x_y (), which reads the depth buffer with glReadPixels to get the z-component. This z-coordinate, together with the mouse x and y, are then uprojected to get "EL-world" (x,y,z) coordinates.

The call to get_world_x_y () is currently in gamewin.c, line 396. Could someone who is experiencing this problem add a couple of printf statements to check if x and y are always outside the map range when left-clicking?

[When using ctrl-right-click, you don't call get_world_x_y (). Instead you call get_old_world_x_y (), which simply sends you to the (x,y) coordinates on the screen, but fails to take 3d objects into account. So another test might be to replace the call to get_world_x_y () with get_old_world_x_y (), and see if you can walk then]

Guest moloh

I have this problem, i test "http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=66" bug ( there was a short test ) and everything was ok, but in game i still cant walk without CTRL.

Also in bug raport was mention that it is pure linux problem and here are problems from windows users too.

Sb somewhere mention changing some things to make it work, i have now newer xorg, ati drivers, kernel ,even kde now, and problem persists.

That would be nice if you could repair this bug.

I am linux user, gentoo distribution.

--

Michal Kurgan

Edited by moloh

I have the same problem: No inhouse movement unless i move with home or over obstacles as chairs...

I also don't see the city/ship/portal room banners, although those ARE in my EL folder

then I could no longer click to move, I had to use HOME. I uninstalled completely and re-installed. I still have that problem.

I have just been bitten by this bug. ctrl-right-click works but left click does not. Left-click works for everything else, but normal click-to-walk in game.

My system:

2.4 GHz Intel 845G Mainboard

Fedora FC4 (every available update including kernel)

ATI Radeon 9200 (newly installed, problem appeared after install)

ATI drivers freshly installed and verified in other clients.

More detail:

$ uname -r

2.6.12-1.1447_FC4

$ ./fglrxinfo

display: :0.0 screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9200 DDR Generic

OpenGL version string: 1.3.1010 (X4.3.0-8.16.20)

Oddly enough, the ATI card does not like shadows in-game. If shadows are turned on I get an immediate segfault. I dont know if that is a related issue or not.

UPDATE

I removed the fglrx driver and the click-walk issue went away. Framerates remained very low however.

FIX

The fix was simple. I took my ATI card back to the store and returned it for a GeForce 6600. Now I have 50-100 fps and all works as expected. I also deleted everything and reinstalled from scratch - but I'm sure the ATI driver was at least the majority of my problems.

Kyle

Edited by KyleOr

Same problem here.

IBM Thinkpad T21 with a savage MX/IX 8mb

As well as having to ctrl click, I find that my cursor changes from attack to look mode on its own,

and sometimes I cannot attack (for example I am in the garg cave in tarsengard right now, attempting to attack a gargolye results in "Not here! (cant attack players in non combat maps)"

I cant open bags

Every few minutes the exact state changes, sometimes for a short period I can walk without ctrl-right click, sometimes for a short period I can attack. I have yet to be able to pick up.

It also seems to lock onto a specific position / creature / person for all actions

Seconds after I log in , If it happens to be in attack mode, If I click anywhere at all , it tells me I am not close enough to attack. If I can figure out which creature nearby it has locked onto, i can move close to it, click anywhere on the screen and I begin to attack. Similarly, sometimes when in look mode it locks onto a player, no matter where I click I get 'you see [playername]'. I think I get the rare moments when the game seems to function when I log in and nothing is near me. Which could explain last night as i was exploring alone and the maps where pretty deserted.