31 members have voted

1. 1. Should Newbie Island be re-introduced

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
    • Dont know what 'Newbie Island' is
    • Dont care

Vote on your choice.

Could someone explain why it was removed in the first place?

(I know its been asked so many times)

And also answered so many times: It got removed because Entropy got mad that he has to ask NH to actually stay there.

Regards.

And also answered so many times: It got removed because Entropy got mad that he has to ask NH to actually stay there.

Regards.

Thanks.

I dont think this is so bad. NH's could get a tptni (Teleport To Newbie Island) and stay there, almost work in shifts. The same way I stay at beam or the wraith. It's part of our job.

I think the newbie island was a good place to start.

To do a few starting quests to get the feel of the game is a good thing, and you could get an answer to the basic question: "How do I eat?"

I know that there are help available on IP, but to make it a place where you can do things (learning the game) should still be useful to the newcomers.

To leave the island you have to pick this, eat, this, make this, kill this and trade that for an IP ring. Basics done - and you can take on the world of EL.

I dont think this is so bad. NH's could get a tptni (Teleport To Newbie Island) and stay there, almost work in shifts. The same way I stay at beam or the wraith. It's part of our job.

They had #gonoob, but that didn't magically get people to actually be there.

They had #gonoob, but that didn't magically get people to actually be there.

Fair enough. I honestly think it would be an advantage for the game overall if this were introduced. Newbie helpers are there for a reason: to assist newcomers to the game. Newbie island was a great part of the game, and I feel that EL could be dividing its target-audience: Those who persevere and those who are lazy.

Ok, ok. So you could say that its up to that person (their choice) if they are too lazy to persevere; sure, its their fault, but starting a game should be easy, it should be intruiging and the newbie island was just that: Helpful, forgiving and somewhat intrguiging.

Im not undermining any decision made by Entropy, or the other developers, I just have an opinion ;) So please dont take this rant as a "Your doing a bad job" flame

:)

Edited by Placid

I'd say the chances for getting NI back are fairly good ;-)

Actually, I think the current newbie helpers take their "job" a bit more serious than the old gang.

I've taken that as a compliment ;)

I just feel that this game is going somewhere (after seeing the update's) and I think that everyone should enjoy what EL has and will become.

The first part in that process, is getting new players (its also the root of EL's success: People), and if those players find it easy to stay, then it will benefit us all.

Edited by Placid

Um, to finish this post off: Newbie Island WILL be introduced when we have done the new skills and everything is ready. Not until then however which will be a while yet.

Um, to finish this post off: Newbie Island WILL be introduced when we have done the new skills and everything is ready. Not until then however which will be a while yet.

Excellent. Thanks for the info ;)

I think there should also be a way for the non-NH's to get there. So everyone can help there.

Thats not such a good idea. It would allow anyone to get there, and then abuse could start, and newbies would be turned away by some rude player spamming or swearing.

Which defeats the whole point of the newbie island.

There are jerks who can spam local chat at beam or Wraith as well, now we have #lmute...

Regards.

There are jerks who can spam local chat at beam or Wraith as well, now we have #lmute...

Regards.

Good point. But if that place gets too crowded, it could be disheartening to new-comers to see LOADS of people (meaning those that are not there to help).

Your probably right.

Maybe you can ask a NH to send you there. And if you spam or annoy the newbies you get a perm ban?

/EDIT

And if a NH would see someone not helping he would get banned from NI for ever?

Edited by Dorplein

Well the point of Newbie Island was to have a smallish non-threatening place where newbies aren't overwhelmed by the size of it or by experienced players. It gives them the chance to learn the skills needed in peace, without fear of others laughing at them and they can go at their own pace.

Well, we can make #tptni command to accept as argument a playername. Anyway i regret I didn't voted "no", I'd be so rebelious...:ph34r:

Regards.

*Roja's screen*

spammer1: fuck

spammer1: dick

spammer1: spaaaaam

Roja: stop this or i will kick you outa here!

spammer1: ooo yeah sure ...

spammer1: suck my dick

spammer1: muhahaha n00bs die!!! i will spam u muhahahahaha

#denoobinsland spammer1

Ok, spammer1 has been denoobinslanded, wich means he can NO longer go to the Newbie Island!

[PM from spammer1: wat]

[PM to spammer1: dont do this anymore or you will get baned!]

[PM from spammer1: like i care...]

[PM to spammer1: ok, if you want...]

#ban spammer1

spammer1 was booted!

*spammer1's screen*

spammer1: fuck

spammer1: dick

spammer1: spaaaaam

Roja: stop this or i will kick you outa here!

spammer1: ooo yeah sure ...

spammer1: suck my dick

spammer1: muhahaha n00bs die!!! i will spam u muhahahahaha

You have been denoobishinslanded, wich means you can NO longer go to the Newbie Island!

[PM to Roja: wat]

[PM from Roja: dont do this anymore or you will get baned!]

[PM to Roja: like i care...]

[PM from Roja: ok, if you want...]

You have baned by Roja.

[Disconnected from server.]

[Press any key to attempt reconnect.]

[Press Alt+X to quit.]

*Alt+X*

Well the point of Newbie Island was to have a smallish non-threatening place where newbies aren't overwhelmed by the size of it or by experienced players. It gives them the chance to learn the skills needed in peace, without fear of others laughing at them and they can go at their own pace.

Thats exactly my point, its purpose is to introduce the newbies in a friendly way. It would be pointless to have newbie island if all players were allowed there, it could be abused in so many ways, and the NH patrolling would have very little time for the newbies, if all he/she has to do is deal with abuse and spam.

I think it would be just fine if only NH:s can go there.

The idea is to learn about the game on NI, not actually play it.

Once you leave NI, 'real life' begins.

Maybe you could get a letter (sort of graduation) from some NPC on NI. That letter should then be presented to some other NPC on IP, who will start you on some additional tutorial quests (if you want to), and perhaps give you some starting food (or a little cash)

"the one who sees the light, will abolish the darkness"

Book of Bane, verse 4

Well, it would be also OK if NH could be able to invite there helpful people.

Regards.

well infact, they can evolve at their own pace, but wouldn't it be a big shock to land into the toughies world, with these people that talk to each other... etc...

perhaps newbie Island should be worth staying until at least level 15 oa.