Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rebootedrock

The Decline Of The Internet

Every new post I see, steadily grows worse,

Every person that joins, a worse of a name,

Every signature there is, more immature still.

Every word there was almost, a typo still

Every post there was, an absense of care.

The Forums were large and full of spam,

The Game full of typos galore,

And all throughout the game, not a person was stirring,

Not even TirasHazor.

Until RebootedRock had had enough and asked,

"Why oh Why is this such a mess. Why oh why can not anyone use the english language properly?"

And upon this yell he awaits a response.

Well booted I would have to say that the reason that most people do this is because of the simple fact that its somewhat easier and quicker to just type straight rather than typing correct. I try my best but as you see im no expert. :blink:

Phew, people were flaming me because of capitalizations and periods, I am not saying anything about

common flaming me here because of polite forms.

Regards.

Phew, people were flaming me because of capitalizations and periods, I am not saying anything about

common flaming me here because of polite forms.

Regards.

omfg even if plat writes weird, she has better typing english than me and it's like ehr 2nd or 3rd language.

Type correctly.

Pfft I use the English language correctly, though I seem to be the only American who does so (Except, of course, Ana, Tiras, and ggm).

[TheAlchemist]: I are all Kala (No punctuation, plural verb with singular pronoun.)

[TheAlchemist]: rofl (Uhm...yeah..)

[TheAlchemist]: I are the fashion police. (Plural verb with singular pronoun again.)

[TheAlchemist]: Your outfit is against the law (No punctuation.)

[TheAlchemist]: And ignore everything ggm says ever. (Incorrect...uhm...everything?)

[TheAlchemist]: You need to be nicely learned (And there...the greatest crime against the English language....)

Anyway, people find it pointless to use correct grammar, because it takes time and people can still understand you...

No, seriously, I find Americans to speak worst English on the Internet. Yes, English is not my native

language but I do my best to speak it on a decent level. Anyway, I am always poking Crannog because he

started to use "ur" "u r" (One more time Cranny and "u r" a dead man) etc. It kills me, especially it kills me

when someone is breaking his own, native language. And I don't underestand what is weird in my English...

Regards.

No, seriously, I find Americans to speak worst English on the Internet. Yes, English is not my native

language but I do my best to speak it on a decent level. Anyway, I am always poking Crannog because he

started to use "ur" "u r" (One more time Cranny and "u r" a dead man) etc. It kills me, especially it kills me

when someone is breaking his own, native language. And I don't underestand what is weird in my English...

Regards.

i type to type fast, not to type accurate. that's our problem i guess.

People are different. Personally I often delete a whole line if I think the grammar is incorrect or at least words if I type them wrong. I am not a nitpicker when it comes to others, but often when it comes to my own spelling/grammar/typing. However I know that I use way too many commas for the english language - just can't help it as we use many commas in danish :D

And well, I really don't care of people want to use "u r" etc.. I understand the meaning of the words and as such they are interpreted just as fast in my head as "you are", I just can't get myself to write that way :)

Regards.

No offense, but sometimes I have difficulty trying to understand things you say. Your English could use work. =/

I realize that English is not your first language, and that explains your lack of complete understanding of the language that I speak.

Edited by Anastasia

That's weird, because offten I hear it from Americans too, for example Crannog, who is British, told me

few times that my English is very good. It is surely not perfect, but I was always working on it...

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

That's weird, because offten I hear it from Americans too, for example Crannog, who is British, told me

few times that my English is very good. It is surely not perfect, but I was always working on it...

Regards.

"told me few times"

told me a few times

You leave out things that make for choppy sentences indicative of a person whose first language is not English.

Your punctuation and capitalization is fine, and most of the time your spelling is on track, but your grammar is lacking.

I don't mind bad spelling, but I can't stand bad grammer... I really don't care either way, but if your going to post something that you actualy expect people to read, at least make it comprehendable...

"_______'s a bad stoleded stuff of me and wodd n't get back to me...."

translation

"______'s a bad person, they stole stuff from me and wouldn't give it back, I think we should add so and so to the scammers and theives list..."

I would have loved to have quoted some of the real expressions that people have done here on the forum, but I don't have the time... still it's irratating, when you can barely make out what people are actualy trying to say sometimes.

Oh well who gives and F***, people are still going to be doing it, annoying people are still going to be complaining about it and Life in the real world and EL will go on.

NeoSeS

You know what, peopel who use houroundse gramar realy bug me too...but...

I can't complaina bout spelling because sometimes i'ms start talkjding like slkjthis on accidnet and i'm also a horrible speller. In fact, on this quiz we had to day we had to label all these bone parts...ok no problem...I can memorize things in secounds, then the day of the quiz he says that he will mark half wrong for all the spelling mistakes...I barely passed that quiz yet I had every single lable correct...just spelling mistakes :D

Regards.

Personally, as a Brit, I am very impressed by everyone here whose native language isn't English, because they make the effort and are on the whole very understandable.

It makes me ashamed of my own country for our lack of linguistic skills.

Regarding the spelling and grammar, not everyone is good at spelling and English grammar is no longer taught in schools (unless things have changed recently?)!

In an international community like this, a little tolerance and understanding goes a long way. That's my philosophy anyway :D

I've found that although people who speak English as their first language tend to take it for granted, when pushed can actually use it quite well. Take, for example, myself. I frequently use incorrect English, not because I don't know HOW to use it, but because I find it easier to use the "netspeak" I was brought up upon. I've actually helped edit 3 books for academic review (and although my name was omitted from 1 {damn professor Grahm!} and while I still use correct English when talking in real life, I use incorrect grammar online; simply because it is faster for me to type thus whilst I am trying to make a point during the hectic, fast paced dialogue of the channel.

Regards.

when did the English become americans? oh that's right they aren't

Edit: and by english i mean native to england, not english speaking.

Edited by I_am_Spock

when did the English become americans? oh that's right they aren't

Not yet....... :angry:

yes, george bush is secretly panning to overtake The UK.

George & Tony are sorting the details out as we write this now.....

Conspiracy Theory Time :P

I make tons of typo's and don't even bother to fix them anymore(even though I used to) unless it's something important or an official post or something.

Reasons being:

1. I think i have carpal tunnel(so no i'm not going to strain my hands even more by retyping things). And becuase of this sometimes i use the 1337 shorthand of u & r's :angry: Otherwise i hate that kinda typing.

2. people know what the typo is supposed to mean anyway(if not then of course i retype it)

I actually enjoy talking/typing/writing proper English. Punctuation is paramount. However (i'm similar to Wytter, to many commas!), its just as easy to understand a typo as long as the first and last letters are in the same order.

"u" and "r" are products of SMS texting in the UK sense. It's hit really bad here, and its used not only in SMS but in E-mails too.

I prefer to write properly myself, but SOMETIMES it bugs me when I see obvious mistakes in another persons writing/language/typing.

Ahh well, the beauty of the internet eh?

<snip>...  its just as easy to understand a typo as long as the first and last letters are in the same order. ... <snip>

There's an example of English somewhere with only the first and last letters in the right place, all the rest are completely jumbled up, but it's still readable.

It has something to do with how the brain actually reads words.

If I can find a copy, I'll post it for people to look at :)

<snip>...  its just as easy to understand a typo as long as the first and last letters are in the same order. ... <snip>

There's an example of English somewhere with only the first and last letters in the right place, all the rest are completely jumbled up, but it's still readable.

It has something to do with how the brain actually reads words.

If I can find a copy, I'll post it for people to look at :)

Correct. It is to do with the fact that when reading, your eyes actually only 'scan' over the words, you do not read each letter individually.

hlelo (What is that?)

tihs (?)

is (:D)

smoe (?)

wrdos (?)

You'll find that you can more than easily interpret/understand what those words are.

(Roll on the smart-arse comments :))

Regards.

Personally, as a Brit, I am very impressed by everyone here whose native language isn't English, because they make the effort and are on the whole very understandable.

It makes me ashamed of my own country for our lack of linguistic skills.

Absolutely!!! I'm an American, and it amazes me how well the majority of this community speaks english. I'm referring to the non-native english speaking folks here. Even the people who just know a little bit can make themselves understood. In an environment such as this, it seems a bit picky to be pointing out gramatical errors...I find the language skills of people here very impressive indeed.

In-game, the idea is to type (as best as one can) as quickly as one can to simulate actual vocal conversation...and to emulate actions or styles of speaking to convey how one would actually talk if they were speaking out loud or what they would be doing (such as *shrugs*). If everybody sat and analyzed what they wrote, it wouldn't be much fun now, would it. And think about it, do you really speak out loud in perfectly formed gramatically correct sentences all the time???

Edited by Aisllinn