Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
raapnaap

Small Question.

In the manual (which you should read) it says that you have to use the wateredge-3ds for the edge of the water. xD

For the other thing you use 2d objects. How to place them so that they don't overlap and stuff like that can also be found in the manual.

I'm stuck with the water part, is there some sort of tool i need to use on the edges, or place 3D models? If It's the last one, there are no files like that. ;)

Yes you have to place 3d objects on the edges.

From the manual:

Wateredges: when you put the water edges in place, they must be .23 below ground level. Except for "wateredge1.e3d" which you should put at .24 (just use the delete key to make them go to .20, then shift+delete to get that accurate .23cm level). Also, at times a few edges might not line up properly. You can just place a rock, or some tall grass over the area to conceal it. But try to make them line up as good as possible. We don't want to see 3 million rocks all over the edges.

EDIT: FIXED.

I re-installed the game and it works now ;)

Edit2: Here is a pic of what i got so far (only a little is showed on it)...

http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1309639363

Any tips or info would be usefull, it's also not done yet.

I also have no idea what to do with it after it's done, but maybe good for when "player owned" terrain is added or something, lol.

Edited by raapnaap

-BAD picture:Objects are placed too close to edge of map! We will NOT accept any map like this!!

--GOOD picture:Objects are placed far enough inside the edge of the map to be seen and not cut off. It is ok to put objects used as BORDERS at the edge of the map, such as these huge rocks which are the "mountains", or a very thick layer of trees or some other things are ok too.

**note, I left the green tiles at the edge of the map here so you can easily see what i�m talking about. For your real in game map however, you�ll delete those tiles so you will only see black there. You also

well Your pic reminded me of this devilish part of the manual :D don't let the nice map end up in trash can only cause You forgot about NO OBJECTS near map edge :D (2 tiles space required AFAIK)

oh and nice looking wharf (?) it is ^_^

This is only a test, the next one ill make is one ill send... One where you have to add a village, lake/river, ect like sead on the main site.

:rolleyes:

The stuff on the main site are just suggestions what you can do.

If you have the feeling that another thing shows us more skill in making maps then you can also make other things.

-BAD picture:Objects are placed too close to edge of map! We will NOT accept any map like this!!

--GOOD picture:Objects are placed far enough inside the edge of the map to be seen and not cut off. It is ok to put objects used as BORDERS at the edge of the map, such as these huge rocks which are the "mountains", or a very thick layer of trees or some other things are ok too.

**note, I left the green tiles at the edge of the map here so you can easily see what i�m talking about. For your real in game map however, you�ll delete those tiles so you will only see black there. You also

well Your pic reminded me of this devilish part of the manual :P don't let the nice map end up in trash can only cause You forgot about NO OBJECTS near map edge :huh: (2 tiles space required AFAIK)

oh and nice looking wharf (?) it is ^_^

A question on the tiles:

Does the 2 tiles from edge mean walking tiles or map tiles?

It refers to map tiles. To be 100% sure, make it 2.5 tiles from the edge.

2 ground tiles still seem a little to few IMO...

Btw, my(not the one above) test map is now almost done, i need to add a "connection" between interior and exterior, and some light effects :D

*hopes it's good enough*

Oh, the connection between interior and exterior is done on the server, so you really don't need to worry about that on a test map :)

NEXT... part 2 of making "house insides"

Basically, you will be writing your own .def files for all the maps you make. This will explain to you how get a start on it. You need a way to enter the inside of the house that you made. There is some information that you need to take down WHILE you are placing your houses & their insides. You can do it afterwards, but in my opinion, it's much easier if you take notes while you are making your map.

1.Object ID -every object has it's own unique ID number, that you can see in the editor.

2.The coordinates of where a character will stand to enter your house(one or two tiles away from the door).

*You need these for BOTH insides AND outsides of your houses!

Example:these are the "notes" I took for doing the startmap:

Startmap

1.Tavern-72

x=65-67 y=132

i Tavern-107(door5.e3d)

x=20-21 y=12-13

2.house5-97

x=89 y=104-107

i house5-109(door3.e3d)

x=53-54 y=48-49

3.house4-73

x=163 y=96-99

i house4-110(door2.e3d)

x=57-58 y=13-14

4.house2-192

x=121 y=128-131

i house2-108(door1.e3d)

x=17-19 y=54-55

Ect.

Since it was in the manual i though i HAD to add it.

But now i know this it should speed things up a lot, giving me more time to add detail to the map :)

Edited by raapnaap