Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Make A Continent Map Show!

After makes it distorted... before is invisible, no matter where I draw it.

Wait, duh... I have to Enter2DMode()... Thanks Wytter :D

OK, got it working ... the icon usage is exteremely bizarre, since the continent map is subject to the map... so weird icon manipulation goes on, but hey, it works well.

(It's in the top right, but it seems to look more balanced than I would have thought, much more than on the left. Still your call :blink: )

Anyway: I've updated the .diff, but not the binary ... And I'd still like an icon, so I can stop using my scrawled graphic. :D

All that's left is the legend, and that should be done after I eat my lunch. :P

I said before to just use the same map-icon for the continent map(we really don't need a new one).

As for the legend...we need to keep all images square right? So what If I make 2 128x128 images for the legend, and you stack them on top of each other and put them on the right side? If you're confused i'll do a mock-up when i get home of it.

Ok, it shall be done.

Oh, I mocked up a little text legend, too, lol. Meh, I guess I can still use the title header. :D

Anyway:

maps.JPG

Anyway, just give the order, and whatever you want moved shall.

Edited by crusadingknight

Looks really nice ^^

had we only all the maps in this old-scroll-type like on picture above =]

*edit*

they are ? ermmm....

---starts to delete his contarband maps of: crystal caves, coal cave, nordcarn cave, diamond cave, vermour castle, temple of mortos, portland mine & tunnel, morcraven caves... --- ;]

|

|

|

V

Edited by Quell

Looks really nice ^^

had we only all the maps in this old-scroll-type like on picture above =]

huh? all the maps ARE like that :D

Er oh...can anyone run through and check all the semi-colons in the .diff? One seems to be missing...somewhere. And now everything is screwed. :blink:

EDIT: Solved, it was a rogue glEnable() :D

I just thought, how about moving onto next level of mapwalking ?

could the maps that are separate elm files highlight in Continent map view and when you click on one of them char starts to walk to this map ?

I just thought, how about moving onto next level of mapwalking ?

could the maps that are separate elm files highlight in Continent map view and when you click on one of them char starts to walk to this map ?

It's possible, I have in fact an algorithm to do just that scrawled on a heap of paper beside me, for my bots. There are only 2 major difficulties:

a. CPU usage OR inefficient pathfinding

b. Hardcoding OR XMLFILE means that on map additions, it would be useless, there would be a high margon of error. You see, the maps don't record what leads to where.

In this light, it's best not attempted.

Make the continent map walkable?!?!!? no smegging way!!! That's all we need :unsure: Why not just give everyone the teleport command?

OK, well, I updated the .diff and the binary, making the map checking more efficient, and reducing the hackishness somewhat (using variables and separate functions now... the functions [which were once one draw_game_map()] are now draw_game_map(), draw_continent_map(), and draw_map_hud() [which displays the button, and the legend]). Click handling and mouseovers also got their separate functions.

It should be much more readable now, unlike the above paragraph :unsure:

Comment: You guys do great work :) Small question here, What does EL need more than anything right now? in other words what can I learn so that I can help, I really want to. Thanks.

Brom

Well what are you good at? Art, programming? IF you're good at art, we can ALWAYS use more mapmakers! Read the maps page then PM me for more info on that if interested.

Alright..here it is, you can cut it in 2 pieces if you need to.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/misc/legend.bmp

Also, instead of closing the map window the 2nd time you press the cont. map icon, just have it go back to the normal map, ok?

I was just going to ask about that. :rolleyes: I'll do that ASAP.

BTW, I worked out the exact position marking, which I'll implement tomorrow (Too much hard-coding coordinates for my liking, so it will take at least an half hour to enter them).

Took the new CVS files and merged this patch.

Clicking Tab -> crash

commenting out these lines in void view_map_win(int * win, int id) (

icons.icon[id]->state=PRESSED;

icons.icon[id+1]->state=0;

No crash on tab.

I can click the continent and see it now, but if I go from map back to the game with tab without continent view it crashes again.

Took the new CVS files and merged this patch.

Clicking Tab -> crash

commenting out  these lines in void view_map_win(int * win, int id) (

icons.icon[id+1]->state=0;

No crash on tab.

I can click the continent and see it now, but if I go from map back to the game with tab without continent view it crashes again.

:blink: That should be

void view_map_win(int * win, int id)
{
if(id<0)id=translate_win_id(&map_win);
if(interface_mode==interface_game || interface_mode==interface_console || interface_mode==interface_cont)
 {
	 if(switch_to_game_map()) {
   icon_list[14]->state=0;
	 }
 }
else if(interface_mode==interface_map)
 {
	 switch_from_game_map();
	 icons.icon[id]->state=0;
 }
}

Is something wrong with your cvs client/patch utility? In all seriousness, those lines you stated don't exist in the patch, nor in the current CVS.

Ok, I updated the diff, with the legend, and semi-accurate representation of your position on the continent map. (The binary was not updated). Please never change the continent map, or I will need another 15 min noting coords. <_< :P

This looks a little queer when you're inside (a tavern, or whatever), but that can be fixed in 2 1/2 minutes, and will be. :huh:

The legend is the legend, with an extra 128 pix (width to make it square) of blackness, allowing you to add more, and make it larger later. (It's slightly shrunk in the client :( ). This should be named "./textures/legend.bmp" (in your el folder, ie. C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\textures\legend.bmp on windows...)

Anyway, enjoy. :)

Did you change the legend.bmp file i gave you in any way? If so, please post a link to it so i can take the new on. Or if nothing changed, also let me know and i'll put it as is in the update :(

Did you change the legend.bmp file i gave you in any way? If so, please post a link to it so i can take the new on. Or if nothing changed, also let me know and i'll put it as is in the update :(

Erm, very little changed:

http://rootshell.be/~bremac/legend.bmp

Well, there's really no need to change that. So I'll use yours Roja.

Erm, ok, updated the one on rootshell.be/~bremac/continent.diff

...But berlios.de seems to be down... :(

Anyway, that should be the last update to the patch.

Niec wytter.

Just a little fix to a typo I made (when noting coords):

{84,352,160,448}, //2 - Desert Pines

should be

{84,352,180,448}, //2 - Desert Pines