Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
teranoz

Logout/beam Delay

There should be a delay of about 10 seconds after giving the command #beam me up or leaving the game to prevent people to misuse these options if they see an opponent they can not handle (rings and spells should be used for that)

Same with leaving the game.

After #quit or alt-X there should be a warning msg counting back to 0 and at 0 shutting down the program.

Warning msg should contain something like : your character is preparing to logout, if you leave now it will stay in the game without you during that time.

Remember the first time fluffies were summoned in KF ?

Most people left the game or beamed to IP, those things should be prevented.

An implementation of delayed beam could be adapted for lower lvls.

Thats why you CAN'T beam from KF now... duh...

About logging off.. there is always way to cheat server with modified client...

and its nothing bad in logging off, cuz you HAVE to back somehow to game,

so its better to make you 10 sec delay (after log in) so you can't move&teleport...

or something.

Edited by Gen_Axis

About logging off.. there is always way to cheat server with modified client...

There are only the ways that the server allows.

Like, you cannot log off to escape a battle that you are losing, once you are fighting, you will keep figting until the battle is over (win, lose or flee). No matter how much you modify your client, you can't change that.

I was talking about this counting down 10 sec sequence before shutting down client (connection?)... but there is a way, i never died when was disconnected, and opponent said i just dissapeared, so how it could be possible ?

I once crashed during a fight with a male orc.

When I got back into the game I could notice the fight did go on during my absence from the server.

So its the server that decides if you are allowed to leave, not just the client.

Anyway, best thing is to make all PK maps non-beamable (what a word) and about logging off from pk maps - no idea...

if you use any logging off delays like 10 sec, so what about ppl closing windows by pressing alt + F4 (win) ? they will close window, and will they still ingame ?

Let's wait for some good ideas ;-)

if you use any logging off delays like 10 sec, so what about ppl closing windows by pressing alt + F4 (win) ? they will close window, and will they still ingame ?

There are ways to prevent people from exiting a program using alt-F4. I'm not sure HOW, but it can be done...

How about the server holds them in for 10 seconds after the client stops sending input? The window would be closed and the task stopped, but they would still remain in 10 seconds after the task is ended.

What is the problem with the beam anyway, no one has really explained that well.

It is fine how it is considering that it is almost pointless to create more restrictions on a free game. thats what this game is about, being able to do what you want. So what if you are cheated of a kill on a PK map. So quit bitching.

Remember the #beam me up option was intended to use if you are getting stuck in a house or a cave or so.

In the spirit of the intention of this command a delay would not be so bad, because if you are stuck somewhere you are not unwilling to wait a few secs b4 getting out again.

But, alt-x'ing,alt-F4'ing and #beam me up is misused a lot of times.

Ok, its removed in some PK areas, but it should be removed or delayed on other maps as well (e.g. on an approching fluffy)

Then they should also remove the teleport nexuses taking people to Naralik. This has happened:

A newb is tp'd to Naralik, and doesn't know it is dangerous. A goblin runs at him/her. They #beam me, beacuse it is used to escape from dying.

Suddenly, they get a 10 seconed countdown to prevent abuse of this command. They get slaughtered by the goblin.

Edited by freeone3000