Eternal Lands Official Forums
Garrin

Player Police Force?

I actually like the idea of a police force. Or maybe even just a prison that the mods can send a player to for a period of time.

From Leeloo -

No. Keep the mods out of it. This is for players to do something about.

This is from another thread but as Leeloo suggested I am posting my idea here.

I once played a game where there were a group of players with special powers that would hunt down known criminals. They had the power to teleport them to a "Jail Cell" but they had to get close to them. Which was the realistic part of it. It also meant that the "Criminals" couldnt do anything stationary. E.G.- Harvest, Alchemy, Manu etc. I wont mention the name of the game, but in this game this is how it went.......

Once inside the "Cell" which was a room with no exit, you had a certain amount of time before you could get out, and even then you had to be LET out. They couldnt chat in any channels, or PM anyone but the Mods/Jailers. What was good about this was that Lets say they got a sentence of.....say 2 days? They couldnt simply log out and log back in 3 days later and expect to be free. They would have to be sitting IN the cell and wait "In Game" time.

Now....I dont know if what I am suggesting is even possible. Im not a programmer, but maybe something along these lines? I dunno.

Garrin

The idea of a jail has come up before, and I really like it. The first problem that immediately springs to mind is how to decide who becomes a police officer, and how to control them. We don;t want the current mods to spend their precious time keeping their police officers under control.

I actually like the idea of a police force. Or maybe even just a prison that the mods can send a player to for a period of time.

From Leeloo -

No. Keep the mods out of it. This is for players to do something about.

This is from another thread but as Leeloo suggested I am posting my idea here.

I once played a game where there were a group of players with special powers that would hunt down known criminals. They had the power to teleport them to a "Jail Cell" but they had to get close to them. Which was the realistic part of it. It also meant that the "Criminals" couldnt do anything stationary. E.G.- Harvest, Alchemy, Manu etc. I wont mention the name of the game, but in this game this is how it went.......

Once inside the "Cell" which was a room with no exit, you had a certain amount of time before you could get out, and even then you had to be LET out. They couldnt chat in any channels, or PM anyone but the Mods/Jailers. What was good about this was that Lets say they got a sentence of.....say 2 days? They couldnt simply log out and log back in 3 days later and expect to be free. They would have to be sitting IN the cell and wait "In Game" time.

Now....I dont know if what I am suggesting is even possible. Im not a programmer, but maybe something along these lines? I dunno.

Garrin

I think I have an idea what game you were talking about.. I could be very wrong though. :)

The idea of a jail has come up before, and I really like it. The first problem that immediately springs to mind is how to decide who becomes a police officer, and how to control them. We don;t want the current mods to spend their precious time keeping their police officers under control.

Well thats easy.....Since Mods would have more power than a "Police Officer/Sherriff".....whatever you wanna call them, then just have it be the first step to becoming a mod? A sort of test. The only power they would need is the teleport power, and only to the Cell..

We don;t want the current mods to spend their precious time keeping their police officers under control.

Police brutality.. :D

Well thats easy.....Since Mods would have more power than a "Police Officer/Sherriff".....whatever you wanna call them, then just have it be the first step to becoming a mod? A sort of test. The only power they would need is the teleport power, and only to the Cell..

No. Keep mods out of it.

Come up with some role-playable, player-based suggestions instead. In the real world police officers are hired by people who are elected, if that helps you get any ideas (maybe not).

And making it an RP thing, it should be balanced. So every time you add something to the police force, remember to add something to the bad guys also.

No. Keep mods out of it.

Agreed. Mods are there to deal with people that break game rules, not with people that operate within rules but are (considered to be) annoying.

Come up with some role-playable, player-based suggestions instead. In the real world police officers are hired by people who are elected, if that helps you get any ideas (maybe not).

In game election preferably, not on the message boards. Have them serve a fixed term, and reelect them if they did well, elect someone else if not. New skill: politics.

And making it an RP thing, it should be balanced. So every time you add something to the police force, remember to add something to the bad guys also.

As annoying as that is, yes.

Should we also set up insurance companies?

Hmmm....I smell business...

Having people who did a certain quest for the mayor of whitestone or something, which would be a random one every day as to prevent overease, to grant them the power to "move" people for that one day. They would have to be within 3 tiles, and it would be a spell. The bad guys can get rid of this pretty easily - just do the same quest.

Maybe the police can PK people on any map, and the baddies can hide in certain places, such as in a pile of hay or something... So the police have to be able to kill the criminals, and the criminals have to know the locations of the hiding places... Oh yeah, I guess the criminals' summons attack police and vice versa.

If this idea would be used as a punishment for in-game activities, the offences and punishments would need to be absolutely clear.

And rather than a jail (where someone could do absolutely nothing), how about giving them the negative effects of the Anti-Social perk or the inverse (where they couldn't PM , use channels, or overland chat, but could only deal with NPC's and Mods) for a predetermined time, say 15 mins to 2 hours (but not enough to kill the joy of the game, because we are talking about offences that are not severe enough for a boot or a ban).

There already is a player police force when you are ingame type in #guild_info KSF which stands for Klingon Security Force and the guild master is Worf

Uhm....apparently you only read the "Police Force" title and none of the other posts before yours. What I suggested has nothing to do with a guild. If that guild is a guild of people looking out for others then that is GREAT! Just NOT what this thread is about at all.

I'm sure not everyone will like my suggestion but here goes:

What if when arresting a bad guy, he/she would have a chance to attack the police officer (resist arrest). The effect would be that high level bad guys would be safer and it would take a high lvl police officer to arrest one.

The police officer would still have an advantage as he/she could prepare for the arrest and it would be possible for the bad guy not to have f.ex. any armour or weapon at the time of the arrest.

And what about this for punishment: when arrested the bad guy looses all his/her items (possibly also the ones in storage) for the period of one in-game day. I think that would still be quite a punishment but not as boring as spending hours in some jail doing nothing.

How about using members of Guilds?

Having an elected member from the major long standing guilds fill these roles? As most of those guilds are quite responsible. The role lasting for say, 1 month rolling.

I quite like this idea, especially if there was a more RP style to it (sheriff etc). However, i see one thing coming out of this...

Abuse.

No kidding. Look at all the bitching that goes on about the mods! Now add the "regular players" (police force) to it. We'll have to add another forum section for Mod/Police Abuse. With a subheading STFU YOU WANKERS.

No kidding. Look at all the bitching that goes on about the mods! Now add the "regular players" (police force) to it. We'll have to add another forum section for Mod/Police Abuse. With a subheading STFU YOU WANKERS.

lol!

Well perhaps thats a bit drastic (:D), but if this were to be incorporated (more like a citizens arrest) with karma, then perhaps the more you abuse it, the more it effects you in-game.

However, there is the fact that your are going to have to indentify what is abuse and what isnt, and thats going to have to be the server's job....nice!

This is a possible solution to player/police abuse by the implementation of a police force:

In-game recording! The EL client would automatically record say for example 5 mins of play and store it as encrypted file and then record another 5 mins and overwrite the file, etc. Players/police can use this as proof like in the real world, and the average player/police won’t be able to modify it to their advantage due to the encryption. Rather than a pixel based recording (like AVI) it’ll store info about the procession of objects and instances in the game so that it can be recreated using the game engine, taking considerably less space than AVI (kinda like vector vs raster).

And who would verify this proof? I think there should be people entitled “operators†that manage squadrons of the police force, they check the recordings sent by the “plaintiff†or “defendant†and to make their role fun, coordinate their squadron for an appropriate response.

Now what of operator abuse? Then the remaining option is to send proof to someone of high authority who will ban their IP for life… lol that should keep them from attempting anything stupid.

Oh yeah, certain controls should be given with the recording feature (such as disabling it) and stopping a piece from being overwritten so you can use it later.

1. Read the thread, you didn't understand what it's about.

2. Encrypting the file will not prevent modifying it. Even if you go full skale public key encryption, it will only prevent decrypting / reading the file, a new file can still be made and encrypted the same way, so noone can tell which one is real.

i c, so this includes people rpging as badies as well as police, not real offenses? Then why is abuse of power a problem?

Edited by SaintV

It can be, if they're given too much power. What people were trying to figure out is how to do it, and that includes how much power they should be given, so they can't abuse it.

I understand. How about ID tags that can be switched on/off that give an indication if you are going to play “a baddie†and the police will only be able to capture those with the tag turned on? So normal players won’t have worry about being abused. But then the “baddies†can be the abusers by constantly turning on/off their tag and annoying the police… but there could be a programmed time, like you’re going stay a baddie for one whole game day before you can turn off the tag.

Guest skaar

baddies - who r the baddies ? who define a baddie ?

a private police like u wanna have it, force the abusing of power. if a guy dont like an other he punish him.

and who define for which does and donts u get punished - should EL going to a police state ?

things like scamming rnt illegal (they r not against EL rules), so there is no need for a punishment. scammers get punished by public them on a post.

when a guy isnt trustable - dont trade with him.

when u need to bag trade - take lesser amounts and trade a few times or u still know the person which u give ur bag. when u get scammed its (most times) ur own fault.

deathbagjumpers or bagjumpers on tp victims should also get post and than ppl can take their bags, thats a better solution than a police force.

a own force - thats not a solution, it force more problems (abusing, amount of punishment like days be arrested for delicts,... )

and mark scammers with tags ? - public posting is the same like tags - what if such guys r in a guild - where r the guild tags ? and mark them with tags, uuhhmm wasnt there a such system in history who mark unpopular ppl with davids star in the 30s - 40s, forced by a force called SA. is this the way EL goes ?