Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quall

Qustion About A Cave Inside A House + Others

In the map I am creating to "show" my ability in creativity and using the map editor, I created a map with a house partially in a mountain

Source Image:

http://img28.exs.cx/img28/7641/image4536vk.jpg

(top left)

Basically, I wanted to create a cave entrance inside a house, but was not sure if it was "looked down upon" from what it looks like. It looks kind of glitchy on the back side, as you can see from the reference shot. Would I be able to submit something like this? If not, what if duplicated the front side of the cave entrance and mirrored it (so to speak).

Also, I mis-read the webpage guide. I guess I overlooked the "ground tile", and it turns out that my map is not far from the edge. Well, since I pretty much completely finished my map, do I have to re-do it? This is just an evaluation of whether I would be able to create a map, correct? If I acknowledge that I will not do it next time, you think I can still submit it?

Here is a large jpeg (1.5mb; 2962x1656) of what it looks like. I have been working on it for roughly 4 days with occupying basically all my free time.

http://www.geocities.com/sagefankia/preview.zip

sry, you must copy/paste in a web browser:

Edited by Quall

Your inside house looks really good. The cave entrance is really neat.

I might suggest creating some ambient light though, to make the house not appear so dark. Unless that is what you are going for.

But yes, the glitchy rocks from that one angle cannot be in game. A quick fix would be to place a mountain against that wall. It would block the view from that angle, but it's only a minor inconvience for a really cool effect.

I didn't download the .zip, so I have no comment on that :)

Edited by Ravenod

well I did and I think it looks nice and clean :] it also has this 'nice touch' details such as bones and debris on rocks by the see side and little pond by the house; I lke it (yet I'm not entitled to any power in the game so I'm just stating my opinion)

as to objects too close to map edge well I think there isn't single person that didn't made this mistake at first :) (look on ingame ws map for instance - the biggest in game)

well, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

I think I am going to take your suggest Ravenod and stick a big rock there. I am just worried that I won't get the right angle with the shapes of the boulders, and part of the rock will stick through the wall where I don't want it to. As for the lighting; I actually thought it looked alot lighter before. I am using a PC at my work and it is way darker than the one at my house. This on is probably more average for brightness settings. The only problem with ambiant light is that I am going to create a cave. I don't want it too light. I might even create some textures to mimick sunrays through the windows. Just so it doesn't seem like NO outside light gets into the house. However, I have no ideal how to make textures semi-transparent. So that idea will be shot if it is not possible.

Well Quell, I feel a lot better now that I know I'm not the only one that did that. Glad you didn't think my map sucked.

PS: I didn't realise there was a Quell when I registered my username. So uh, sry about that. It may create a lot of confusion, so I think I'll change mine. I was confused myself when I saw your name.

Edited by Quall

Please send me your map

I will look it over, evaluate it, and send you an email with my comments and such ;) Looks good from what I see inthe pics there

There are flat sided mountains you could stand upright, and it probably wouldn't stick through the house wall.

Well in that case, I guess my name will remain the same.

Roja, I can just post my map here if it'll make it easier:

http://www.geocities.com/sagefankia/1dczmap_outside.zip

I just started on the insides, so It is not included at all.

well, here are both the inside and outside. I believe I will submit it now, so hopefully I did not forget anything.

http://www.geocities.com/sagefankia/1dczmap.zip

I used to play the nwn and second baldurs gate game a lot, so the cave in the "inside" is set up like that. The walls are not insanely high and paths are pretty clear.

Edited by Quall

well, i just sent it to the address shown on the maps page of the main sight, and pmed moonshadow not too long ago. I also had a few questions to ask if you accept me for mapping.

Basically, here are some.

1. With the transaction between the insides and outsides of maps, how are they linked? I posted coordinates in the .def file (could not test though), but how does the game know which "map" to teleport to for the insides? Like if I made a map named "map1_outside.elm", how does it know that the inside map is named "map1_inside.elm". Do I have to specify it in the def file, or is "name_inside" and "name_outside" inherited together

2. Lighting; is there a way to have light entites also light the inside walls/floors of a house, instead of just placed models?

3. Candles; I just realised that I did not create any lights for the "night" part of the outside map. Since fire is basically the light, is there a way to make the fire appear at night only, or would it have to burn during the day as well? I placed a candle near the house door. I was going to put a light there, but it would look really wierd to have a candle burn for light during the day.

3. And lastly, I have the most current map editor, but all water is displayed as a rippling grass instead of that blue reflective texture. Is this a common problem?

edit: oh, and I would love to create some maps if you let me. I should be receiving my new laptop soon this week. I would be able to do some work on maps during myy lunch hour and between college classes (when they start next semester)

Edited by Quall

1. i'll explain the process of making the def files once you start to make a real in game map.

2. the light objects can light the floors & walls, but not the particles(like fire), you have to place the light objects to get that effect.

3. they burn both during day and night

3. that'll be fixed once you get the new client update(which should be in a few days..). you can fix it now too but i don't remember the details offhand...

lol, i didn't even noticed the double 3's. Anyways, I will post back tomarrow after my christmas shopping to talk about adding me to the map team.

Yay Quall. Your testmap is really nice. I really would like to see one of your maps in the game. :P

Since Roja is taking care of this i think i don't need to get you started.

Anyways.. if you have any other questions just let us know and we will help you out. ;)

well, my msn is diablosmatrix (at) adelphia.net

I would like to learn more about what I can help map. I have to run a few errands later today though, so it will probably have to be sometime after 3pm EST.