Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xoorgh

dungeon map

OK.. just wanna say, I'm pretty tired of running around in dungeons not knowing where the heck I am(I know, it's easy to find your way out anyways, but let me finish). How about implementing an ingame map of the dungeons. You could perhaps make it with some kind of 'fog of of war'-thingy, that reveals more and more of the map as you progress through the dungeon. This way you won't get lost, but at the same you are able to discover the dungeon on your own.

I read somewhere that you wanted users to write stories for ingame books. If this is true, I might be interested in doing something like that(it would be in better english than this post, of course :D )

The point of no map is to add a little challenge. If there was a map for it, that would eliminate the challenge of the one quest for one.

It just takes time to know where your going after awhile. :wink:

Assuming they mean caves. I liked the challenge of figuring it out (although, it was frustrating at first but that made figuring it out that much sweeter). :D

Its hard to navigate through the caves at the beginning but after a couple hundred times it gets easier...

You wont need a map for the dungeon I am working on so dont worry too much about ingame maps.

Yea I think its fine now, just walk through and draw your own map! I have a system that gets me every where i need to in the caves anyway though :P

What was suggested on the old forums, and what I liked alot, was that in some huge caves (with houses) there are maps on the wall in a tavern. So you can figure out your route a bit, but you dont have access to the map all the time.

I like that the caves don't have maps. Life is right. After a while, the way to go becomes 2nd nature. I think that this should be an incentive to join a guild. May have made their own maps (by hand or whatever) and could share this with the new members.

If you draw your own map, you can put it as mapname.bmp, then the game will find it automatically, and use it when you press TAB. Try if you can do it as well as Roja.

It should probably be 512x512 like the other maps, unless you have an old graphics card, then make it 256x256 (but you would know that, because you needed to resize the other maps).

does that work on the in-game maps withour ANY map at all? like the caves and underworld :!: :idea:

dot you have to change any code in the game or sumething :shock:

does that work on the in-game maps withour ANY map at all? like the caves and underworld

Yes it does. The game looks for the file when you press TAB, and if there is no file, it says "no map for this place", but if it's there, it shows it.

You could even update the map while playing, because it is read each time you switch to it.