Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
teylorr

Smeg? What Is Smeg?

Layman's terms, you mean?

Okay. Our computers are coded in binary. 0 and 1. They can do either or. They represent on and off. With a bit to the ninth power, or bit times bit nine times, they have a lot more power with smaller space.

Light cannot escape a black hole. That means that light and similar waves are attracted to gravity, and accelerate toward them. Microwaves are similar to light waves, but a lower frequency.

so your saying my microwave is a black hole?

I will go technical. Get a 8th grade Science textbook please.

A microwave is a frequency of a electromagnetic wave. A electromagnetic wave is a wave that does not require a medium to travel in. The microwave you have is actually a microwave oven.

A black hole has so much gravity even electromagnetic waves cannot escape it. So they will be pulled towards it, accelerating. They used this to communicate across great distances frequently.

A microwave is a frequency of a electromagnetic wave. A electromagnetic wave is a wave that does not require a medium to travel in. The microwave you have is actually a microwave oven.

A black hole has so much gravity even electromagnetic waves cannot escape it. So they will be pulled towards it, accelerating. They used this to communicate across great distances frequently.

im a big fan of using emp pulse's to screw with my friends :blink:

i have one big one in the closet that would knock out my neighborhood (saving that for christmas)

and a smaller one i can carry around with me to disrupt the school's network.. ahh so fun :ph34r:

>.> im acting dumb because im bored

How did we come from "smeg" to "science" :ph34r:

we are going through the dictionary backwards!! next stop... Burbon

i have one big one in the closet that would knock out my neighborhood (saving that for christmas)

and a smaller one i can carry around with me to disrupt the school's network.. ahh so fun :ph34r:

LOL i have to see that!!!!

LOL i have to see that!!!!

why are you here!?! why do you have posts !?!? i thought you hated this game

How did we come from "smeg" to "science"  :ph34r:

How about we make a stop at "re-hashed ideas" first?

Edited by freeone3000

How did we come from "smeg" to "science"  ;)

How about we make a stop at "re-hashed ideas" first?

thats a good idea! except that its the wrong way and its along way off >.<

Edited by Aitrus

Excuse me, but which alphabet are you using? In the one I use, "r" comes before "s".

im using the alphabet where i keep seeing s as C o.O thats why i said burbon xD

You have a perverted dog and a weird alphabet.

yeah >.> powerfull dog too

This word was popularized by the TV program Red Dwarf... as a 'non-insulting' expletive.

It's actually a shortened version of the word smegma - and you can look that one up for yourself :P

Red Dwarf is smegging brilliant - i have all the episodes on DVD. If it's on the telly - don't miss it :lol:

I thought Black Holes are thought to exist but not proven?

A microwave is a frequency of a electromagnetic wave.

Actually, the "micro" refers to the wave length of the wave, not the frequency :P

I think you are correct one that. One can predict a whole bunch of properties that a black hole should have, but afaik no black hole has been observed experimentally yet.

Actually, the "micro" refers to the wave length of the wave, not the frequency :P

nitpicker :rolleyes:. he didn't say it refers to low frequencies.

I think you are correct one that. One can predict a whole bunch of properties that a black hole should have, but afaik no black hole has been observed experimentally yet.

Actually i think a whole bunch of objects which are thought to be black holes have been discovered. It's pretty hard to definately say they truely are black holes since you can't see them because they suck in eveything including e-m radiation. But you can see them indirectly if they are "feeding" from a nearby star or glass cloud, or something like that... the smeggers :ph34r:

Actually, the "micro" refers to the wave length of the wave, not the frequency :angry:

Actually, as all electromagnetic waves have the same speed, wavelength is porportional to frequency. Wavelength increases, frequency decreases.

They detect black holes by detecting X-rays they give off by pulling in objects. If they absorb electromagnetic radiation, how is this even possible?

Edited by freeone3000

First, a definition: The event horizon is the point at which any form of light, including microwaves and X-rays, cannot escape.

Now, if the pull of the gravity tears apart some matter outside the event horizon, the X-rays and other radiation can still escape. Nothing can be detected below the event horizon, but there's plenty of stress on the space and matter outside the event horizon, which produces radiation that can be detected.

As far as the earlier point, microwaves aren't just LIKE light... they ARE light. Light is composed of packets of a wave/particle called a photon. Microwaves, X-rays, gamma rays, visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, radio, these are all part of the spectrum of light.

Now on to the speed of light. This is a constant 186,282 miles per second in vacuum. The reason it is lower in any other medium is because it's interacting with the matter it passes through, so it doesn't travel in as much of a straight line, IIRC. However, you CANNOT "accellerate" light faster than this speed by any normal means. However, it IS physically possible to raise the speed. Yes, I know that's the definition of accelleration normally, but bear with me for a second.

There is this effect called the Casmir effect. You can read more about it in Dr. John G Cramer's article it revolves around what are called virtual particles.

The theory is that the reason light travels at the speed it does, and not at say one hundred times that, is due to it constantly splitting into a pair of opposite particles, which re-annihlate and reform the original photon, many, many times a second. Now these virtual particles cannot travel faster than light, because they have mass, so it slows the light slightly from what it could be travelling at. Now if you put a pair of plates extremely close together, and send a photon through, if they are sufficiently close the creation fo the virtual particles would impact the plates. Because of this, the particles are not allowed to form, and thus the photon travels slightly faster. However, this affects any and all photons between this plate, thus effectively raising the speed of light within the space between the plates. Thus light travels faster, but does not accellerate... it would jsut jump to the new speed between the plates, and on leaving return to it's former speed.

There may be other possibilities of how to get around the speed of light for a communications network besides finding a way to surpress virtual particles(mini-wormholes, for example), but you can't use gravity to accellerate light. I'll give that you might be able to use gravity to warp space to cause other effects to happen, and circumvent the limit that way, but gravity in and of itself will not change the speed of light, even by trying to use it as a slingshot.

Edited by Llewelyn

First, a definition: The event horizon is the point at which any form of light, including microwaves and X-rays, cannot escape.

Now, if the pull of the gravity tears apart some matter outside the event horizon, the X-rays and other radiation can still escape. Nothing can be detected below the event horizon, but there's plenty of stress on the space and matter outside the event horizon, which produces radiation that can be detected.

That pretty well describes it :D

Now on to the speed of light. This is a constant 186,282 miles per second in vacuum.

In fact, it's so damn constant that it is used to define the meter. So, the speed of light in vacuum is defined as 299,792,458 metres per second (and the second is defined as some weird number of oscillations of a photon resulting from an electronic transition in a Cesium atom, IIRC).

However, it IS physically possible to raise the speed. Yes, I know that's the definition of accelleration normally, but bear with me for a second.

There is this effect called the Casmir effect.

That's Casimir B) And I didn't know about this effect, but what you write doesn't sound entirely unreasonable. I wonder though, if you'll transfer information faster. I know that experiments have been done where they were able to increase the group velocity (the overall shape of the wavepacket) of a laser beam to 300 times the speed of light in a ceasium atom. However, in doing so, they decreased the front velocity (say, the velocity with which any given point on the wave moves) by the same factor. Since this velocity determines the speed with which information is passed, this technique is not able to provide for faster-than-light communication.

There may be other possibilities of how to get around the speed of light for a communications network besides finding a way to surpress virtual particles(mini-wormholes, for example), but you can't use gravity to accellerate light. I'll give that you might be able to use gravity to warp space to cause other effects to happen, and circumvent the limit that way, but gravity in and of itself will not change the speed of light, even by trying to use it as a slingshot.

Particles faster than light, called tachyons, have been proposed (not only in Star Trek :P ), but have never been observed. They have some really weird properties, if they exist, and even in their theoretical description there are serious problems.