Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rebootedrock

Alternate Servers?

Would you pay for a n00b free server?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for a n00b free server?

• Yes!!!! $5/mth
    • Yes, but only $3/mth
    • No.
    • There should NOT be a separate server/game
    • I don't know.

we only want to keep out the noobs, everyone else is welcome.

Its hard to define a noob, but if you think you know enough about the game you are welcome.

For aisllinn, I will try to define the four classes:

A newbie is someone who knows almost nothing about the game.

A n00b is someone who knows but it still annoyingly stupid. This is an insult.

A middlbie is someone who has played a while and knows at least 2 oldbies.

And oldbie is someone who played before the crash.

Edited by freeone3000

Because, i'd love to play on a server without newbs.

Why don't you go then and develop your own game? You then can decide who will be allowed to play the game and can therefore restrict the game to players that have played the game only for years and can therefore be called 'oldbie'. B)

it would rock to have own server where are no n00000bs and u can ban who u want

You will be able to develop your very own way of dictatorship. :P

these would be non-noobs, not neccisarily for their stats, but for their in-game experience

Define in-game experience. What do you mean with this? Doesn't this imply that only 24/7 players will be allowed to play on the advanced server? People who will have only a few hours a day, or even worse several hours per week will not be allowed to play on the advanced server, cause they don't have the proper in-game xp, even if they know the game very well? :huh:

everyone allowed in the second server would also be allowed in first if they wanted

This will increase the possibility of flaming against new players. Then from time to time players from the advanced server will go and log into the newbie server to flame new players and have 'a little bit fun'. This could be very contra productive for the community of EL. It can increase the possibility of community splitting.

and we could all get free spam control and virus protection

As long as you use Windows this goal will be very hard to achive, whether there are newbies or not :D

I am complaining about noobz not newbies. There is significiant difference between these two groups.

Could you clarify this 'difference'? For me both are new players, be it in terms of skills, or in terms of in-game playing time, but noob sounds fascistic to me, while newbie sounds friendly. But that's just my personal opinion. Furthermore, if you look at rebootedrocks quote at the top of my writing you will see, that he originally spoke of newbs, not noob[sz].

Somebody should set a definition of noob, newbie, middlebie, oldbie...and who would be welcome on this server

I agree with you in that those terms need to be defined, but I disagree in that 'somebody' should do this. Instead I would suggest, we (I mean possibly all players of EL) should do this. Those terms need to be discussed in-depth by all players that are interested in this topic. Any player not interested in this, will then have to accept the results of this discussion without further complaints. But we need to ensure that any player gets noticed about this topic to get a chance to add their own view to the discussion.

shasso, imagine a world where you can go to a spawn, train, get woteva u want, then go back to storage, chill with ure oldbie friends, THIS is wot tht server could be like....

I think this would be better solved by increasing the current world, for example by adding several additional continents with big maps.

Exactly. This is Learner offering to put his own server up, if enough people want to pay for it.

Why simply didn't Learner open a poll or thread then, asking people if they would pay if he opens his own server with only advanced players? This would have been much less provocative than this poll.

Its hard to define a noob

But this should definitely be done before anything else.

but if you think you know enough about the game you are welcome.

I don't know if I know enough about the game to not be a noob from your point of view. Maybe you define me to be a n00b, cause I write noob without 00 ;)

I don't like the idea of an additional server in this way. If there is someone who wants to open his/her own EL server, whether p2p or not, this would be ok, but s/he should clarify this primarily with Ent, as he is the owner of the servers code. But this server then must IMO have no connection to the free one. Characters must not be transferable between those two servers.

Then n00b is a bad wording for this, because it sounds very similar to newb and therefore creates the association a n00b it still new to the game and doesn't know much, which is not true, or else those people may be really stupid and may better be called anything else, maybe 'st00pi'. Any word that does not create an association of such players to be new players will fit.

well i have to disagree :D

everybody who hasn't played on the old server is definitely a newbie :)

ppl that have been around most of 2004 can consider them middlebies...

those of them who had at least a few llvs above 50 before the partial wipe and have played on the testserver then are experienced middlebies...(myself belongs into this category aswell, btw)

and OLBIES are really only very few ppl like moonie and leeloo and aki and some others, they have been around most or at least a large part of 2003 already...*bows full of awe* :(

disclaimer: this post is an hommage to the real oldbies, and not intended to piss of ppl who consider themselves oldbies and are only newbies by this definition

those of them who had at least a few llvs above 50 before the partial wipe and have played on the testserver then are experienced middlebies...(myself belongs into this category aswell, btw)

and OLBIES are really only very few ppl like moonie and leeloo and aki and some others, they have been around most or at least a large part of 2003 already...*bows full of awe* :)

Cool. I'm an oldbie without ever being an experienced middlebie (since I never cared enough for powerplaying to get any levels above 50).

After 6 days of voting, we now have only 13 players of the suggested 30-50 that have voted for it, and 29 that think it shouldn't be done and it would be bad for EL.

Unless a lot more people step forward for it soon, this wont advance to the next step of discussing and planning the details.

After 6 days of voting, we now have only 13 players of the suggested 30-50 that have voted for it, and 29 that think it shouldn't be done and it would be bad for EL.

Unless a lot more people step forward for it soon, this wont advance to the next step of discussing and planning the details.

it will go stagnant for a month or two, then one person will make a thread about the exact same thing, and then it might get some attention, or it too could go stagnant.

I hoped it might happen but I guess not.

I'm sorry, I'm just not interested in it at the moment. I haven't voted yet, because, basically, I don't give a damn. If you ask me to decide, I'll vote against.

EDIT: had another look at the poll options. I'll just vote NO.

Edited by Grum

Errr you misunderstand...

I know what they are, and I do not agree with your categorization at all. Lol, there was life before the "big crash"...like the old server which you know nothing about <_< My point was that there should be established criteria so everybody is working with the same scale.

That said, the goal here was to keep out noobs...since noob has to be defined, we might as well define the rest of us too.

And yes malaclypse, when I said someone, I really meant all of us.

Guest bosmer

WTF! no n00bs? they make the game all the fun cmon pepz

u all been nubs once, give people a chance

sheez

I do not believe the game should be split just so people could say "haha you damn newbs still play on that server?!?!?! ROFLFLFGEFMN00BS!!!111ONEONE" because that's exactly what will happen. Splitting servers means splitting the community in terms of how strong that server's strongest player is, different markets, and all other kinds of junks. Splitting the game just so 100 or so stuck up people can insult the other server is a little less than needed.

Well I am a noob and if I don't get to play as fair as everyone else I will quit as other noobs will (they will feel left out a dejected). So think...is this a good idea to people that want to play but feel as if they are not wanted? I agree with noob free maps....As long as noobs get a lot of maps to travel...

By the way Furcadia (using it as an examble DO NOT ASK ME WHAT IT IS) has over 2,000 noobs (3,000 newbies) and nobody complains about them. They just deal with it. Deal with it: Even in a noob free server there is going to be noobs (Noobs that just managed to get in).

P.S.: I am really a newbie and I annoy people by...well I haven't found a way yet. But, no I do not annoy people on things I already know. Unless I forgot X.x.

Edited by Heradite

I am a noob and i suggets for only $1 per month not $3/month cuz el players r greedy.

... a portion of that money goes to the developers who worked their asses off making this game, and have asked nothing but donations (and a weapon shop :P) in return.

Well from the results i'm guessing this is a no...

And really if u want newb free zones so bad bug Learner, Ent, Roja, and Cicero to get p2p out faster then go to the new continent and make a channel that the newbs don't know about =P (this is if they figure out a way to combine the servers that is)

Edited by Aerowind

Well from the results i'm guessing this is a no...

And really if u want newb free zones so bad bug Learner, Ent, Roja, and Cicero to get p2p out faster then go to the new continent and make a channel that the newbs don't know about =P (this is if they figure out a way to combine the servers that is)

They don't have to go to a new continent or have p2p to have a new channel. Most newbs don't even know what a channel is. We have channels 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 through 110, and 112 through 1000000000 to use now. Do we need more to grant your idea?

Edited by freeone3000